Arriving at the hotel after a taxi from the airport, we were taken to our room which was in one of the 3 buildings making up the complex - these vary in age and quality. Our room was in the older block near the mini-market up 4 flights of stairs with no lift.
The rooms are small - our twin room just had the 2 beds, a small bathroom and little else. Nice touches included finding stains and hairs in the minibar, and holes in the bedsheets which is completely unacceptable. If sheets are worn out they must be replaced straight away. The rooms in our block didn't have a balcony, so feel very claustrophobic. We had a view out the windows of a concrete building, perhaps the kitchen. We asked for a pool or beach view but were told these would cost more. The bathroom had a few ants so we complained and these were dealt with.
The pool is nice, clean and fairly small with nice sun loungers. The beach is acccessed over a bridge of stagnant water which isn't very appealing.
The hotel restaurant isn't very good. There is a huge menu and it is all executed very poorly. Most days for lunch we ate at the beach bar for the hotel next door, which was okay. What was most despicable was seeing a member of kitchen staff use the toilet, and come out and not wash her hands at the basins located outside the toilets. This is simply unacceptable hygiene which the manager must address.
The hotel has a 'gym' - which is effectively a dank room with a few bits of rusty equipment, some of it broken. In addition you have to pay extra to use this which is outrageous! It looks very unsafe so I chose to exercise at the nearby World Gym which is a short taxi ride away. There is also a poorly stocked mini market and an internet cafe at the hotel.
Despite this the atmosphere is pleasant and the beach is lovely to relax on, but for your money it is worth staying in a hotel further down towards the centre of Chaweng Beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samui First House Hotel is located on the largest island of the Gulf of Siam, called Koh Samui. Its beautiful white sand beaches, crystal clear water, jungle, hills and waterfalls create a very changing landscape, rarely found on the other islands. Koh Samui has now become an internationally-renowned holiday destination and receives more and more tourists every year, attracted by its unchanged beauty. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Samui First House Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samui First House Hotel Chaweng
- Samui 1st House Resort
- Samui First Hotel
- Samui First Resort
- Samui First House Resort Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand