“It's difficult not to pay attention to many details, when you are there.”
Review of Baan Talay Resort

Baan Talay Resort
Ranked #31 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Moscow
“It's difficult not to pay attention to many details, when you are there.”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Ok... I think it's better to write stories. The first one is short. If you don't have big experience in travel and it's not very important where to stay and you don't want to spend to much money, then it's ok for you.
And now the second story. It'll be longer. At first I must say, that it's very strange hotel. On the first hand the sea is very close to this hotel. You don't need to go somewhere to swim. The beach is clean. At the night they have security guard there.
You can relax near the pool, drinking some cocktails or beer, for example. But...
They don't think about your comfort in the room. It consists in different things:
1. It's hard to close the door, when you leave your bungalow. You think it is closed, but ... no. it's not. So you have to use something to close it.
2. Bath is dirty in some places. Inside part of the door is not painted. It looks like it is 20 years old.
3. There is a ceiling made of glass. So it could be very nice to see the clouds or something, but ... it's so dirty, that you don't want to look at this.
4. Breakfast. I spent 17 nights there. They should cook something else, except 3 kinds of fruits, bacon, sausages, disgusting juice (come on... it's so easy to make fresh juice in this country).
5. Wi-fi. Sometimes it's free (I think they don't know about this). But... sometimes you need to pay for it. But you can't, because they don't have special cards or something.
I stayed in two types of bungalows. Garden view and pool view. there is a difference, but it's not so big like the difference between the price.
About that wall. Yes. There is terrible wall. It's wallview. It means that you can't see anything except big wall. So be careful about this type of bungalow.
I think it's good for students or somebody like them.

Room Tip: Garden view bungalow without the wall would be ok.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pashaslon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was our 2nd year at baan talay resort but with 6 different friends.We stayed in a beach front bungalow and so did 2 other people and the other 4 stayed in garden view room.The garden view rooms are basic but excellent value for money.Beach front bungalows are great,just open your door and you are on the beach. It is great just people watching all day and buy from people on beach from your verandah.It is on the quiet side of chaweng beach.Staff our very friendly and helpful and the restuarant is very nice.A SPECIAL MENTION TO ALEX AT RESTURANT THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL.Heaps to do at koh samui and we will definetly be back next year for another 14 days.THANK YOU ALL THE STAFF AT BAAN TALAY FOR MAKING OUR HOLIDAY SO MEMORABLE.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank marshall90
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Rooms were great size & great condition. Breakfast good & till 10.30. lovely pool, located right on the beach.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Haz2011
Norway
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Me and my son stayed here the first three nights on Koh Samui. Spacious rooms with an enormous bed. Very hard though, but we slept well. The staff is friendly and nice. Pool area very nice and also the beach. No problem finding sunbeds. Breakfast was ok, but nothing extra. The restaurant had good food, but a little pricey.
A short walk outside the hotel, to the right, is this fantastic massage place. In the four weeks we stayed this summer, this was the best place.
We will for sure come back here!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CoctailsAndDreams
Mountain View, California
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Got to the hotel and they didn't have a room for me even though I had booked like 2 months earlier. So...they give me a room "upgrade" but they only do it for 1 night and then I had to pack up all my stuff and go to another room. The hotel was nice enough but the staff is the most incompetent I have seen in a very long time. Then as I'm checking out they charge me $50 dollars for a nick in the cheap plastic keychain they gave me with the room key. That plastic keychain couldn't have been worth more than $1 in Thailand! When I went to another hotel (about the same price a night) they gave me a keychain that was already a bit scuffed I asked if that was going to be a problem when I checked out and they laughed and said of course not why would they charge for a scuff on a plastic keychain.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank caligrace
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights earlier this month. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this hotel and would not choose to stay here again, the main reason being that I definitely felt deceived by their advertising. The hotel is a lot shabbier than it looks in the photos; common areas like the reception, restaurant and lounge chairs on the beach could definitely use updating and I didn't really want to sit down on some of the lounge chairs because they had so many stains. But what really tipped the scale against against them was the fact that they seemed to be using two different standards of cleanliness depending on which level of room you stayed in. If you stayed in the more expensive rooms ("Pool View" rooms), you had nicer linens, furniture, towels, etc. In the less expensive rooms, you barely wanted to sit down on the bed due to all the stains on the sheets. We know this because we were so uncomfortable, we decided to upgrade from a "Garden View" room to a"Pool View." We were on vacation and didn't want a big hassle by changing hotels, but honestly, I don't think that I should have had to pay a $41 price difference to use clean towels and have clean sheets at the same hotel!

I had originally booked a garden view room because of the lower price (about $90/night) and I wasn't looking for luxury. What I got was really disappointing. The sheets had stains, there was no real blanket - just a wool blanket tucked into two sheets. Bathroom was falling apart and the water pressure wasn't very good. The entire place just felt unclean.

We walked by the more expensive "Pool view" rooms and decided to upgrade - what a world of difference. It felt like we were staying at a different hotel. The nicer rooms had real comforters. The hotel even marks the towels for which level of rooms they belong in. The bathroom was clean and pleasant. When we upgraded, we noticed that the construction of the bungalow was much better, higher ceilings, more windows. The furnishings were newer and the linens and towels were clean! Amazing.

If you decide to stay here, definitely book a Pool View or Beachfront room, but honestly, I agree with other reviewers that with the lack of amenities, they really are over-charging their customers.

One thing I will say is that we ate dinner here one night and it was surprisingly good (albeit overly priced). The beach here is also really nice - fine white sand - and the location at the quieter southern strip of Chaweng was a plus, but given that there are so many hotels to choose from around here, don't bother with Baan Talay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank phm22
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The resort is very cosy and compact and offers both a nice pool area and quick access to the sea. The newer rooms are built and decorated in a design-ish style, which is a fresh alternative to those outdated oriental styles. Staff was very friendly and helpful. As to the room equipment, we were happy to find safety boxes in the rooms (I don't recall that to be mentioned in the hotel data)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo