“Just keep your promise”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed January 6, 2007

We stayed at the Central Samui Chaweng Beach from 28 December 06 to 1 January 07. We payed a bombshell to stay at this peak time but as we had limited time & wanted an ocean view room we had little choice.We had stayed at Le Meridien, Phuket years before & had paid a lot of money without knowing that you had to request an ocean view room before you got there & pay even more money for it.So we bit the bullet & paid a fortune this time only to have our hearts broken yet again.Like Le Meridien, Phuket this hotel was also in dire need of a renovation & unless we hung ourselves from our not so private mosquito infested balcony, we did not get ocean views.The room was tiny & the bathroom required an immediate overhaul.I'm VERY tired of hotels touting 'every room faces the ocean' only to get there & find that the reality is opposite.Last time we complained bitterly & were given a pool facing room in Phuket but this time, we didn't have the heart to do it.The poor Thai people don't like to be bullied by farang.Yet the staff are put in the front line by big foreign corporations who own the facilities, pay the staff pittance, make maximum profit due to little renovation & sting the tourists in the process.
On the upside, the facilites were wonderful, Thai staff were lovely & the hotel was happily situated on one of the best beaches in Thailand.
Still it was horribly overpriced.Take my advice & go during the off season.It will be better value.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank majnoun
There are newer reviews for Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui

Reviewed December 18, 2006

Without a doubt, when the renovations have been finished, this will be the best hotel on Chaweng Beach. Stunning wide beach front location, fabulous pool and gardens, great service. We can't wait to go back !
Don't be tempted to book one of these 'Boutique' hotels they look smart, but they all have a long narrow garden with a small claustophobic beachfront area.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank nigelll
Reviewed November 6, 2006

lovely grounds , spacious rooms with nice bathrooms.sea views. breakfast very good but be sure itsincluded or else it costs 650 bahts (£10). Evening food expensive 4 X more than local restaurants. On Chaweng beach-long main beach of Samui- good sand , shallow water and big waves. beach full of lots of locals trying to sell you thingsall the time. Chaweng very touristy and slightly tacky- dont go there if you want a tropical island experience. Go to Centrals samui village on south east tip. lovely tropical beach, 3 poolsand accomodation in private huts-also cheaper and we wish we had stayed there instead.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank DrExplorer
Reviewed October 25, 2006

What a delightful stay we had in the Central Samui Beach Resort from Oct 6-13, 2006! I couldn't help thinking how true the reviews from this site were. I had chosen this hotel finally based on the beach and the pool reviews and we were not disappointed. We have 2 swimmers in the family and an itsy-bitsy pool wouldn't do for them. (We took a peek at some of the other hotel pools to the left and right of CSBR, which were almost just like huge bath tubs. OK, am exaggerating a bit.) I think the longest length on one part of the pool in CSBR was about 30 meters?? Since there were times when no one was swimming, my husband and my son could do their laps.

The beach was very clean and with the beautiful, clear blue water, looked just perfect. Now if only the jellyfishes moved farther away from the shore! That was such a shame. My son got stung on the first day but the hotel had such a very quick and efficient first-aid using the leaves from their garden and vinegar. Fortunately too, the sort of jelly fish here in this part of the world is not as dangerous as the one in the Mediterranean sea this year. (My husband got stung there in June and he suffered from red, itchy and very painful welts for more than 2 weeks!) Anyway my son recovered quickly enough after an hour with nothing to show for it! He never went back to the sea again though although the rest of us did, hesitantly and we stayed not too long as we always spotted a jellyfish or two. (That's how clear the water was!)

There were renovations going on but we did not hear anything, nor were we bothered at all. The Centara Spa was also undergoing renovation and they did their treatments in some hotel rooms. My husband was pleased with their spa service (20% off) although I thought it didn't look too special as the treatment was done in a basic hotel room.

Here I have to reveal another "truth" - about the worn-out bathrooms, as written in some of the reviews. My heart sank when I saw our bathroom (same with the bathroom of our boys next door)! I had hoped against hope that the reviews were just a little bit exaggerated. Alas, they weren't. How shabby and in need of repair: the bathtub, the wooden shutters lining the bath tub wall, looking rotten already from the water and moisture - a mystery to me why they use this material here!
OK, so I had expected this and it wasn't too painful as I didn't plan on spending too much time in there during our stay!

It is also true about the cabinet space and the lack of it, esp drawers.

Other than that - the room was lovely with nice wooden floors and a good, firm bed, which my husband appreciated for his bad back, and yes, the nice view.

My husband had a birthday during our stay there and he was given a delicious birthday cake and flowers.

I have to say something about their gym, which I thought was very nice, air-conditioned and had a beautiful beach view. There was one room for the cardio machines and another for the weights. I used it once and my husband was there everyday.

So my family and I were kept busy (relaxing and lazing around) in this beautiful resort. The hotel employees were just wonderful, friendly and very helpful. Because we found it so nice here, we did not bother going out of Chaweng Beach as we had done our touring and sightseeing in Bangkok and Siem Reap already.

There were some nice small boutique hotels close to CSBR but I wonder what happens when they are full with their tiny pools? In CSBR, I appreciated the huge, well-tended grounds, the large swimming pool - so even if this hotel were full, it wouldn't feel crowded.

We heard that all the hotel rooms will be undergoing renovation and so when my nice, new chic bathroom will be ready, we'd love to come back again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
12  Thank MCSF
Reviewed October 15, 2006

The Central Samui Beach Resort is an excellent place to stay on Koh Samui. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, the rooms are very nice and the staff at this hotel are beyond excellent. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beyond_SF
Reviewed October 8, 2006

This was our 2nd visit to Chaweng Beach but 1st time to Central Samui.

From 1st impressions we were already impressed. Very warm welcome and a cake and bottle of Sparkling Chardonnay in our room.

We ugraded to a Club Room which gave us access to a Club Lounge with free Internet access, snacks during the day and a free bar each evening. we also got our laundry done free as well. For about £20 a day we thought this was excellent value for money. Ate at Spice Island once but tended to eat on the strip most nights which proved excellent value for money.

Can highly recommend the Loft for typical Thai cuisine which was really cheap and if you fancy a few home comforts the Green Bottle run by Paula & Stuart (& Lola) provided excellent English and Thai Food and was a really friendly atmosphere.

Overall the honeymoon was fantastic and despite building work going on throughout the hotel it was definately a great place to chill out and relax and we couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank noreen&John
Reviewed October 1, 2006

It was our first trip to Thailand and this was a great hotel to start with! The staff are great - nothing is too much trouble and they will try and accomodate your every need. We ate at the Spice Island at few times - would recommend the prawn patties! A word of advice - the wine is expensive (even thai wine) generally across the island. We met some people who had bought their own wine, kept it in their mini bar and had that if they fancied wine. Beer is much cheaper with meals. Do eat out in Chaweng high street - all of the food we had was great. The Eat Sense rest: on the beach is excellent.
We booked the Eco-safari excursion with Turismo Asia which was really great and we thought excellent value for money. The weather wasn't sunny when we were there (which was apparently unusual for that time of year) but don't be fooled by the clouds! Lots of people got burned as the sun was still really strong behind the clouds. You will get hassle from traders in the street but they are generally harmless. Valentinos were a great tailor if you fancy getting some clothes made? All in all, a really good hotel, apparently due for room refurbs next year so can only get better I think? Have a great time.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple