Stayed with the wife and two children (a 2 year old and 1 year old) in the middle of Dec 2013, the good points - the hotel is located in an excellent location, near all the shops, restaurants within easy walking distance. The beach is fantastic albeit the waves were quite high for our children! The hotel grounds are very nice and the staff in general were very friendly.
To the bad points - as some of the previous reviewers remarked, our room was rather dated and in need of some refurbishment. Condensation on the ceilings, mold permanently stuck to the grout in the shower area, chipped basins and generally a bit old fashioned. To be fair, we did not ask to be moved as we were located right next to the lobby (perfect for us having to drag two children!). We came to the conclusion that there were only 3 high chairs available for the whole hotel, which led us having to fight for them at breakfast time. A shame that a small issue like this can not be resolved by management.
Finally, the food at their restaurants was good in general, we had one evening where the curry we ordered tasted distinctively bad (we both tried it). We made the waitress aware and ordered a different curry - to amazement, this tasted bad as well! The explanation of the chef for this was that the coconut was fresh and this was a distinct taste of this specific coconut. Did he not taste his food???
Lastly, Kids club is not really a kids club... there were hardly any toys and the whole place was in dire need of some investment. Let's just say that TV is not the answer!
In conclusion, I rate this resort a solid 2 our of 5 as in comparison, the Grand Centara in Hua Hin is a definite 5/5. There is no comparison!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The five-star Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui is a long-established resort that sits right on Chaweng Beach, a tranquil location that yet provides easy access to Central Festival for shopping and the ever-present buzz of Chaweng Road. Complete with the old world charm of colonial-era architecture and an unparalleled beach front setting, the resort is home to a host of facilities and activities, including a beautiful spa, complimentary Yoga classes a large sea-gazing swimming pool with its own swim-up pool bar and Jacuzzi, a fitness centre, two tennis courts and two kids clubs. You’ll enjoy no less than seven restaurants and bars, including COAST Beach Club & Bistro. Perfect for the most tranquil romantic escape or an adventuresome family holiday, the resort also features Muay Thai classes, beach volleyball, and a choice of water sports – think kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, Hobie Catamaran, body boarding and paddle boarding - as well as superb snorkelling and island hopping excursions around Koh Samui and diving opportunities arranged respectively by the tour desk and the PADI Dive Centre. Whether holidaying in Samui just the two of you or with the family, you will enjoy views of over the turquoise expanse of the Gulf of Thailand from your balcony or a private plunge pool. Spaciousness is a feature with all rooms and suites, with total living space ranging from 40 to 132 square metres while selected suites also provide concierge services. And your good times will begin almost from the minute you touch down on the island, as the resort is a short 15-minute drive from the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Fastbooking, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand