We were booked into the Centara for the middle week of a 3 week stay on Samui. Last year we stayed at the Centara in Hua Hin and it was brilliant. We had a standard room which had a mezanea floor for the main bedroom and a seating area down stairs and 2 bathrooms. great fir a family of 4. after contacting Centara customer relations we were advised that a pool suite with an extra bed would accomodate our family of 3 adults and one child (teenage child is 3rd Adult). We arrived after checking out of our fabulous first hotel and was immediately told they were going to charge us extra for my 9 year old son. After a short discussion where I pointed out he can stay for free if sharing our existing bed they offered to discount his stay. Again I refused and eventually they agreed he could stay for free as stated in their hotel policy.
When we were eventually shown to our "suite" it was in fact just a room with a bed and an extra bed a TV and some cupboards. It was dark dirty and smelled damp and musty. We were not happy but after a long family discussion we decided to make the most of it and enjoy the great beach location. Then it started to rain. We tried to turn the lights on and found there was only one light out of 3 outside that worked and some lights in the room didn't work either. Still we showered and got ready for our night out. I couldn't quite understand why after showering my hair felt sticky and dirty but again, got on with it. My daughter then washed her hands in the bathroom sink and we saw that the water was yellow as was the toilet water. Sticky hair explained? Maybe! Anyway that was the final straw for us and after agreeing a cancellation fee with the hotel we called our first hotel who managed to get us back in the next day. We left Centara 20 hours after checking in and it was 20 hours of stress arguments tears and frustration. We chose this hotel on our previous experience of Centara hotels and are so disappointed. I could not recommend this Hotel to anyone unless they don't mind dark, dirty damp rooms in a run down hotel. Obviously I cannot comment on the entertainment and lesuire facilities because we were not there long enough to sample them.
The beach is lovely but obviously you don't have to stay at this hotel to enjoy the beach and we intend to spend days at the beach while staying in our nice clean bright hotel 10 minutes away (Lanna Hotel, quiet but beautiful).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The five-star Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui is a long-established resort that sits right on Chaweng Beach, a tranquil location that yet provides easy access to Central Festival for shopping and the ever-present buzz of Chaweng Road. Complete with the old world charm of colonial-era architecture and an unparalleled beach front setting, the resort is home to a host of facilities and activities, including a beautiful spa, complimentary Yoga classes a large sea-gazing swimming pool with its own swim-up pool bar and Jacuzzi, a fitness centre, two tennis courts and two kids clubs. You’ll enjoy no less than seven restaurants and bars, including COAST Beach Club & Bistro. Perfect for the most tranquil romantic escape or an adventuresome family holiday, the resort also features Muay Thai classes, beach volleyball, and a choice of water sports – think kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, Hobie Catamaran, body boarding and paddle boarding - as well as superb snorkelling and island hopping excursions around Koh Samui and diving opportunities arranged respectively by the tour desk and the PADI Dive Centre. Whether holidaying in Samui just the two of you or with the family, you will enjoy views of over the turquoise expanse of the Gulf of Thailand from your balcony or a private plunge pool. Spaciousness is a feature with all rooms and suites, with total living space ranging from 40 to 132 square metres while selected suites also provide concierge services. And your good times will begin almost from the minute you touch down on the island, as the resort is a short 15-minute drive from the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand