“I thought I was in paradise!”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
“I thought I was in paradise!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was stunning, we had a terrific ocean view room, the facilities were great and the staff were some of the friendliest people I have ever met, I cannot recommend this place highly enough. This hotel is situated at the "quiet" end of Chewang beach, but still plenty of entertainment on the strip.

• Stayed April 2013
GMCSBR, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Sula01,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay experience with us. As guest satisfcation is of paramount importance to us, we are most grateful for your comments as it highlights our resorts' key aspects that makes us unique from our neighbouring hotels. A haven for many who choose to return year after year as their home away from home.

We hope that we will be offered the opportunity to welcome your return in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Hester Yao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Rugeley
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife stayed here for seven night's,the staff on arrival were attentive and so polite, that's the nature of the people,we were shown to our room and my heart sank,we looked forward to this break for month's and a part of our holiday is our room,it was 2.5 star bathroom and that's being polite,bed's are comfy and clean, as to the rest of our stay it was brilliant,the ground's activities, restaurant's are excellent,we didn't move to far, it was so good,would we go back again,yes in a heartbeat,please Centara invest in your properties,it will reap dividends.

Melbourne
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed in the resort in April 2013. Overall it was ok but there are many more much beautiful resorts for the same price.
Location is good as this part of the beach in Chaweng is just beautiful. White sandy beach and calm clear blue water on beautiful sunny days. On wet or windy days the beach is like a wave beach.
The resort is in real need of a facelift, it looks old in some areas. The rooms are nice but again need a facelift, the bed was super comfy! In my aunties room is smelt like mould. Bathroom very dated but its ok. Our room in block 2 was good location I think, although our room was next to cleaning staff room so always could keep them chatting and banging away when trying to relax on the balcony.
The breakfast was great! So much on offer, always found a seat, staff were fantastic and attentive.
The pool is nice also, swim bar nice. Alot of kids so very much a family friendly resort.
This resort has so much potential but there is no wow factor.
The staff are very lovely (although didnt get much attention from reception staff when walking through) but the cleaners and garden staff were always going out of their way to say hello.

Room Tip: Higher up the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

stayed here for ten nights, read some bad reviews before i went but i could not fault the hotel at all, room and bed lovely, grounds very nice and well kept, pools and beach also lovely, fantastic choice for breakfast all staff very friendly, drinks a little expensive but this is a five star hotel, lots of bars and restaurants near the hotel in the quieter part of chaweng, very easy to get about to busier parts, my only negative aspect of the holiday is that the main road through chaweng is dirty and the pavements can be a bit dangerous, all in all a good holiday but would not go back to chaweng

Room Tip: we stayed in room 216 anywhere near would be fine
1 Thank holidays77coventry
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay. We got the honeymoon deco in our friends couple room as we requested. Exce breakfast (flies and birds were annoying but it was ok for us), pool is ok but slippery, and great views from our 3rd floor rooms with big balcony. Our room were interconnecting rooms which was nice for close friends like us. The beach in front of hotel is less crowded and crystal clear water. Drinks are expensive but is 5 star price. cocktails almost 200 baht, beer(small pint) 130 baht ard plus tax.
pool bar is ok but i prefer islander bar near lobby to enjoy the view and soccer match. picollo cafe' was my gf fav where she enjoyed ice creams and cakes. I would avoid spicy island bcos of our own opinion which was the food taste but staffs were so helpful. We were trying to have dinner buffet the hotel provided on almost every nights, but after we looked ard buffet, we thought less choices and had dinner outside. btw, their buffet locations were interesting and attracted us, at the main lawn and on the beach with full moon. We didn't hav chance to go and try Hagi, Zico, gym, spa due to no time. Hotel tour desk was so helpful and reasonable price bcos we knew the day trips prices from outside along the main chaweng road. We booked koh tao and anthong marine park at tour desk. We found 100degree east desk near the pool. Housekeeping staffs were excellent and rooms were so clean. The hotel ground is so big(seems largest hotel in chaweng), really beautiful and suitable for everyone. Beach chairs were vacant all the time somewhere ard the ground or pool or on the beach but if u prefer for the certain place for the whole day, u will have to get up early and place ur beach towel to reserve as i found alot of ppl doing the same thing to reserve. For the front desk, they couldn't provide for late check out which was beyond couple of hours even though we arrived to the hotel at ard 10pm at the first night. But it became minor prob bcos we really enjoyed our holidays at koh samui. We would highly recommend for our friends and others to stay at centara and definitely will go back soon.

2 Thank Xcrat
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The rooms are more like 3 star not 5 star. Outside the pool beach area is great, gym good. Restaurants not 5 star. Pool staff great, reception staff not at all helpful. First room we stayed in flooded whenever you had a shower, moved to another room and at least the bathroom did not flood in that one. Reception do not seem to be very aware what is going on, went out to dinner one night to find on our return a 3rd bed had been added to our room, when querying this we were told, "must be wrong room, we will have removed shortly". Outside certainly 5 star, sadly the rooms do not.

Room Tip: We had to be moved from our first room as everytime you had a shower the bathroom flooded, therefore...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
København, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Have been using centara hotels for my previous 3 stays in Thailand and thought I Would love to stay ther again with my family and my parents, but what a mistake. A week before our arrival I just wanted to check up with the hotel, that they put a flowerarrangement into my parents room to welcome them, but instead of a confirmation of the flowers they informed me, that they had a slightly overbooking and had to remove me to another hotel. I was a littlebit surprised by this, since i did my booking 5 month ahead of my arrival to be sure that this trip with my parents would be perfect. I complaint about this, and told the hotel, that I didn't want to be relocated to another hotel on the Island. They managed to fix the issue, and I guess that somebody else where kicked out of the hotel.
So far so good and I would have expected that a hotel that claim to be a 5 star hotel, wouldn't make mistakes like this and when they did I would expect them to do theire best, not to do any more mistakes, but no.
when I checked out the total amount on my hotel bill sounded reasonable or at least what I had in mind, so I didn't fell the need to go through my bill systematically - but trust me you need to do this if you decide to stay at this hotel. Because when I was back home I got an Email from the hotel telling mevthat they where sorry to say, that they have forgot to book my private boat charter worth THB 39.000 on the bill and that they therefore would charge my credit card for this amount. i found it a little bit strange that I should have missed a number like this since the total bill was THB 300.000 meaning that the missing amount was more than 10 %. Therefore i went through all the amounts on my bill, and I found that they had doubblecharged me for some extra room amenties worth THB 23.000 app. $ 800-900. I informed the hotel about this and told them, that I wouldn't accept the charge of THB 39.000 but only the difference THB 15.000. but what did the hotel do they just charged the full amount and where relentless to answeer my complain and I had to involve my creditcard issuer which I also told the hotel. The hotel then tried to explain for me that theire booking system had be faulty, providing me with a wrong price - so suddenly an error in theire booking system was my problem - crazy. Needed 1 or 2 ekstra mails before they came to conclusion that theire problem could never be the problem of theire customers - don't think I newer have experienced such a loosy treatment and if you are looking for some 5-star service don't go to centara at samui because they totally lost it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMCSBR, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Nicolai R,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Centara Grand Samui.

As a returning guest to our resort, your comments are much appreciated as it only assists us in our continuous improvement endeavours. I am sorry that on this occasion of your return stay with us your post departure experience, regarding the handling of dispute of charged amount, did not meet your satisfaction and service experience. As you are aware, and have acknowledged from correspondences between yourself and I, it was identified that the error was on our part and that your raised concerns were true. In this respect, only the amount of mentioned is outstanding to be settled. Contrary to your comments, we have yet to this date process the outstanding charges to the provided credit card details as we are awaiting your response to do so.

As you have mentioned, upon checkout we do present a copy of the invoice to our guests to review to ensure that all listed charges are correct prior to acknowledging and processing the respective charges. This reflects our intention to be transparent to our guests, and the reliance of trust to our guest to state that all outlined charges are true in its account, and if not to answer the incorrect charges. Your concerns had been raised after we had made contact with you regarding unsettled diving charges post your stay with us.

Prior to relocating guests in an overbooking situation we believe it would be best to try and inform the guest prior to arrival so that they are aware of the situation, and offer them an alternative. It is not a common occurrence of which we like to undertake to our future guests, however, when encountered with such situation we need to ensure that our guests booking are best accommodated. Unfortunately human and system errors are common occurrences in many resorts and renown lodging establishments around the world, and not to say that any organization is immune from it. We like to do our utmost to ensure that is acknowledged and in rectifying the issue guests are not further inconvenienced, and all consideration is taken in respect of this.

As a returning guest of Centara Grand Samui, you and your family are experienced in knowing what the resort and its services are able to offer, and have found it to be accommodating towards your holiday expectations and requirements. This is why I believe most of our returning guest have come back year after year to relive the great holiday memories at Centara Grand, serviced with genuine Thai hospitality.

I hope that my personal response to your concern reflect the seriousness of which your matter had brought to my attention. In respect of this, and appreciation of your feedback to drive our improvements, we do hope that we will be offered the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Centara Grand Samui to enjoy your Thailand holiday retreat.

Kind Regards,