“Stunning beach, hotel has potential”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Melbourne
“Stunning beach, hotel has potential”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed in the resort in April 2013. Overall it was ok but there are many more much beautiful resorts for the same price.
Location is good as this part of the beach in Chaweng is just beautiful. White sandy beach and calm clear blue water on beautiful sunny days. On wet or windy days the beach is like a wave beach.
The resort is in real need of a facelift, it looks old in some areas. The rooms are nice but again need a facelift, the bed was super comfy! In my aunties room is smelt like mould. Bathroom very dated but its ok. Our room in block 2 was good location I think, although our room was next to cleaning staff room so always could keep them chatting and banging away when trying to relax on the balcony.
The breakfast was great! So much on offer, always found a seat, staff were fantastic and attentive.
The pool is nice also, swim bar nice. Alot of kids so very much a family friendly resort.
This resort has so much potential but there is no wow factor.
The staff are very lovely (although didnt get much attention from reception staff when walking through) but the cleaners and garden staff were always going out of their way to say hello.

Room Tip: Higher up the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

stayed here for ten nights, read some bad reviews before i went but i could not fault the hotel at all, room and bed lovely, grounds very nice and well kept, pools and beach also lovely, fantastic choice for breakfast all staff very friendly, drinks a little expensive but this is a five star hotel, lots of bars and restaurants near the hotel in the quieter part of chaweng, very easy to get about to busier parts, my only negative aspect of the holiday is that the main road through chaweng is dirty and the pavements can be a bit dangerous, all in all a good holiday but would not go back to chaweng

Room Tip: we stayed in room 216 anywhere near would be fine
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidays77coventry
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay. We got the honeymoon deco in our friends couple room as we requested. Exce breakfast (flies and birds were annoying but it was ok for us), pool is ok but slippery, and great views from our 3rd floor rooms with big balcony. Our room were interconnecting rooms which was nice for close friends like us. The beach in front of hotel is less crowded and crystal clear water. Drinks are expensive but is 5 star price. cocktails almost 200 baht, beer(small pint) 130 baht ard plus tax.
pool bar is ok but i prefer islander bar near lobby to enjoy the view and soccer match. picollo cafe' was my gf fav where she enjoyed ice creams and cakes. I would avoid spicy island bcos of our own opinion which was the food taste but staffs were so helpful. We were trying to have dinner buffet the hotel provided on almost every nights, but after we looked ard buffet, we thought less choices and had dinner outside. btw, their buffet locations were interesting and attracted us, at the main lawn and on the beach with full moon. We didn't hav chance to go and try Hagi, Zico, gym, spa due to no time. Hotel tour desk was so helpful and reasonable price bcos we knew the day trips prices from outside along the main chaweng road. We booked koh tao and anthong marine park at tour desk. We found 100degree east desk near the pool. Housekeeping staffs were excellent and rooms were so clean. The hotel ground is so big(seems largest hotel in chaweng), really beautiful and suitable for everyone. Beach chairs were vacant all the time somewhere ard the ground or pool or on the beach but if u prefer for the certain place for the whole day, u will have to get up early and place ur beach towel to reserve as i found alot of ppl doing the same thing to reserve. For the front desk, they couldn't provide for late check out which was beyond couple of hours even though we arrived to the hotel at ard 10pm at the first night. But it became minor prob bcos we really enjoyed our holidays at koh samui. We would highly recommend for our friends and others to stay at centara and definitely will go back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Xcrat
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The rooms are more like 3 star not 5 star. Outside the pool beach area is great, gym good. Restaurants not 5 star. Pool staff great, reception staff not at all helpful. First room we stayed in flooded whenever you had a shower, moved to another room and at least the bathroom did not flood in that one. Reception do not seem to be very aware what is going on, went out to dinner one night to find on our return a 3rd bed had been added to our room, when querying this we were told, "must be wrong room, we will have removed shortly". Outside certainly 5 star, sadly the rooms do not.

Room Tip: We had to be moved from our first room as everytime you had a shower the bathroom flooded, therefore...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
København, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Have been using centara hotels for my previous 3 stays in Thailand and thought I Would love to stay ther again with my family and my parents, but what a mistake. A week before our arrival I just wanted to check up with the hotel, that they put a flowerarrangement into my parents room to welcome them, but instead of a confirmation of the flowers they informed me, that they had a slightly overbooking and had to remove me to another hotel. I was a littlebit surprised by this, since i did my booking 5 month ahead of my arrival to be sure that this trip with my parents would be perfect. I complaint about this, and told the hotel, that I didn't want to be relocated to another hotel on the Island. They managed to fix the issue, and I guess that somebody else where kicked out of the hotel.
So far so good and I would have expected that a hotel that claim to be a 5 star hotel, wouldn't make mistakes like this and when they did I would expect them to do theire best, not to do any more mistakes, but no.
when I checked out the total amount on my hotel bill sounded reasonable or at least what I had in mind, so I didn't fell the need to go through my bill systematically - but trust me you need to do this if you decide to stay at this hotel. Because when I was back home I got an Email from the hotel telling mevthat they where sorry to say, that they have forgot to book my private boat charter worth THB 39.000 on the bill and that they therefore would charge my credit card for this amount. i found it a little bit strange that I should have missed a number like this since the total bill was THB 300.000 meaning that the missing amount was more than 10 %. Therefore i went through all the amounts on my bill, and I found that they had doubblecharged me for some extra room amenties worth THB 23.000 app. $ 800-900. I informed the hotel about this and told them, that I wouldn't accept the charge of THB 39.000 but only the difference THB 15.000. but what did the hotel do they just charged the full amount and where relentless to answeer my complain and I had to involve my creditcard issuer which I also told the hotel. The hotel then tried to explain for me that theire booking system had be faulty, providing me with a wrong price - so suddenly an error in theire booking system was my problem - crazy. Needed 1 or 2 ekstra mails before they came to conclusion that theire problem could never be the problem of theire customers - don't think I newer have experienced such a loosy treatment and if you are looking for some 5-star service don't go to centara at samui because they totally lost it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMCSBR, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Nicolai R,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Centara Grand Samui.

As a returning guest to our resort, your comments are much appreciated as it only assists us in our continuous improvement endeavours. I am sorry that on this occasion of your return stay with us your post departure experience, regarding the handling of dispute of charged amount, did not meet your satisfaction and service experience. As you are aware, and have acknowledged from correspondences between yourself and I, it was identified that the error was on our part and that your raised concerns were true. In this respect, only the amount of mentioned is outstanding to be settled. Contrary to your comments, we have yet to this date process the outstanding charges to the provided credit card details as we are awaiting your response to do so.

As you have mentioned, upon checkout we do present a copy of the invoice to our guests to review to ensure that all listed charges are correct prior to acknowledging and processing the respective charges. This reflects our intention to be transparent to our guests, and the reliance of trust to our guest to state that all outlined charges are true in its account, and if not to answer the incorrect charges. Your concerns had been raised after we had made contact with you regarding unsettled diving charges post your stay with us.

Prior to relocating guests in an overbooking situation we believe it would be best to try and inform the guest prior to arrival so that they are aware of the situation, and offer them an alternative. It is not a common occurrence of which we like to undertake to our future guests, however, when encountered with such situation we need to ensure that our guests booking are best accommodated. Unfortunately human and system errors are common occurrences in many resorts and renown lodging establishments around the world, and not to say that any organization is immune from it. We like to do our utmost to ensure that is acknowledged and in rectifying the issue guests are not further inconvenienced, and all consideration is taken in respect of this.

As a returning guest of Centara Grand Samui, you and your family are experienced in knowing what the resort and its services are able to offer, and have found it to be accommodating towards your holiday expectations and requirements. This is why I believe most of our returning guest have come back year after year to relive the great holiday memories at Centara Grand, serviced with genuine Thai hospitality.

I hope that my personal response to your concern reflect the seriousness of which your matter had brought to my attention. In respect of this, and appreciation of your feedback to drive our improvements, we do hope that we will be offered the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Centara Grand Samui to enjoy your Thailand holiday retreat.

Kind Regards,

Hester Yao
Felsted, essex, uk
Reviewed April 23, 2013

After saving for this holiday most of the year and we were excited to be returning to Thailand again , but this time with our 2 children for the first time, my husband has been coming here for some 30 years ( not to this hotel) and myself for the last 12 years, we thought we would choose a good hotel with a kids club on the beach.
Upon our earlier arrival, after our flight had been cancelled earlier in Bangkok, we were eventually greeted by the manager of the hotel Hester ( at the time we had no idea who she was) but her friendliness and professionalism was telling us something was up!!!?,
Whilst in the transfer on the way to the hotel Hester told us the hotel was overbooked and we were being moved to a better room and we would be ferried to and from the hotel to use their facilities, now with 2 small children is very hot weather , definitely not something you want to hear.
My husband and I were not happy! When we arrived at the hotel Hester said if we did not want to change we could downgrade our room and stay there, be given full usage of the club floor facilities and have HB instead of BB what we had paid for. We were angry to say the least, it was a anniversary and birthday of our twins, we had saved hard for a one bedroom deluxe pool suite, basically the best room in the hotel, apart from the presidential suite, which coincidentally was full!
We relented and agreed to take what was on offer, but not happy, however I must say the who time Hester kept in constant contact with us and remained a true professional, after about an hour of arriving at the hotel and luckily we had not unpacked we were then told our room (what we had booked and paid for) was now free, it was gorgeous and if you can afford it - do it. It set us back £4000 for 6 nights, but worth it.
After our fiasco, we settled in to what was a good hotel, quality food, exc breakfast choices, the best I've seen, drinks expensive, but you will get that in a 5star. Pool needs extra cleaning, can get very sandy towards the end of the day, due to people not showering, but I'm just being picky as a critic! Kids club non existent, like the previous review, unsupervised and again a little dirty.
Rooms kept very clean, and turn down service staff lovely.
People still save beds here, so peak season, get up early!
My kids loved it and so did we , we met another great family, and have made some good friends.
Hester the manager still kept in contact with us the whole time throughout our stay making sure we were having fun and were ok, this is rare!
All in all a good holiday after a bumpy start.

Room Tip: Building 1 defo the best, deluxe one bed, pool suite...room 105 bigger than pool suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Although we were a bit surprised at the location of the hotel - right on the main stretch of noisy and busy Chaweng, this hotel was definitely a paradise once you enter the gates. The pool has three different sections, perfect for kids of all ages and a beautiful, clean beach sits right in front. We had originally booked a one bedroom pool suite, but upon looking at it found it to be quite claustrophobic and dank. It also had a horrid moldy smell. So we paid a bit extra to upgrade ourselves to an executive suite (without a pool) on an upper floor. The room was very large with a pull out couch for the kids. One slept on the couch while the other slept on the bed that pulled out from underneath it (kind of like a trundle bed). It was perfect. We had a balcony with a nice view towards the ocean and a large bathroom and main bedroom with a king-sized bed. Every day we were given bottles of water, fresh fruit and at night, a little snack. The staff were always helpful and friendly. We were in building 7 on the second floor which was a bit loud as it was so close to the street. We also were unfortunate in having upstairs neighbours who enjoyed jumping and running around for an hour every night at 1 am. After a week of this we were moved to a new, better suite in building 1 on the second floor. The balcony was three times the size of the first balcony, the room felt bigger although had a similar layout and the view of the beach and sunrise was spectacular. Apart from the sound of fireworks being set off on the beach, this room was much quieter. Just an aside: We were advised by the staff that the rooms on the top floor (floor three) didn't have great air conditioning.
The buffet breakfast was great with two locations, the main building and one of the outdoor restaurants right by the beach. There was plenty of selection every day and even soy milk, which was great as we have a dairy allergy in our family.
The spa, which I attended twice during our 10 day stay for a massage, was beautiful and serene. The staff were very kind and professional and offer you a cold drink when you arrive and fruit and a warm tea before you leave.
My only complaint about the hotel was the kids club. Well, really it was a lack of kids' club. Yes, they have an air conditioned room where kids can play video games as well as one for younger children to play with clay, draw pictures or play with toddler toys, but these are NEVER staffed. There are four activities(such as Thai Boxing, Diving for treasure or making candles) every day, but once we turned up for Thai boxing and they had left the gloves out but had no instructor there at all. Another time we had to ask them to send someone to do the diving for treasure with the kids in the pool. We foolishly assumed that the staff member would watch our children while they were in his care while in the pool, only to find one of them wander into the ocean while looking for us on the beach when she became bored. When I went to check on our son, the staff member (who is either a waiter or towel attendant, not a professional child-minder) had no idea where my son (5 years old at the time) was. We found him 10 minutes later crying and wandering the grounds trying to find us. The only plus was the Easter celebrations which the kids loved. It was a whole morning (free of charge) full of egg hunting and numerous other games with prizes and a buffet lunch. So if you're choosing this hotel based on its kids' club in hope of having an hour or two of a break for yourself, think twice!

Room Tip: Chose a room on the second floor to maximize the air conditioning. Buildings 1 and 2 are quietest as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family