We have just returned after a week stay at Centara Grand Beach. On the whole our experience was good. We enjoyed fantastic weather, the pool and beach were really beautiful and Chaweng Beach Road was a hive of activity, with great shopping and a fantastic variety of restaurants.
However, we were not entirely enamored with the hotel itself. Although it is one of the biggest and most well known on the "strip", it is long overdue a face lift. It is tired and aged.
The rooms, advertised as renovated, are dated, save for new flooring and paint. The bathrooms are old and the shower was one of our major complaints. The shower has no door so is totally open into the bathroom. The design/shape of the shower, makes it impossible to shower without wetting the entire bathroom. There is no shelf in the shower itself, so you need to stretch around the wall to reach the soap, shampoo etc. There is also no towel rail in reach so you need to step out of the shower to get your towel. We found the shower an endless source of frustration.
Another issue was the air conditioner. It was set at a freezing temperature and we weren't able to adjust it at all.
Things to note: the service at the pool was non existent. In fact, service on the whole, from housekeeping to room service was well below the expected standard. We hardly saw a waiter the whole time we were there and one day we had to ask at about 5pm for the previous evenings room service crockery to be removed, albeit that our room had since been serviced. Food and drinks at the hotel are unjustifiably exorbitant. We are happy to pay a premium for the convenience of ordering drinks at the pool, but we felt that charging 90B when you can buy it for 14B at the shop was a bit much. We didn't like feeling like we were being ripped off, which we were.
I would definitely recommend Koh Samui as a holiday destination and we loved being on the main stretch of Chaweng. The hotel is fine for a 3-4 star, but if you want 5 star quality, Centara regrettably is not the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Superbly located along Chaweng, Koh Samui’s finest beach. Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui offers first class Thai hospitality. Enjoy the exceptional facilities of this award winning deluxe resort which combines the spirit and culture of the island with a tranquil ambiance and sheer beauty. A choice destination for lovers of water sports in particular and everyone in general. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand