“Nice resort with beautiful surroundings...”

Nora Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
“Nice resort with beautiful surroundings...”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 10 nights and had a great time. The resort is beautiful and surrounded by lush trees and flowers, giving it a wonderful tropical atmosphere. The beach is very shallow and not great for swimming, but the pool area is gorgeous and relaxing and wasn't crowded at all. When we ordered room service the food was good and reasonably priced compared to other resorts we stayed at in Bangkok. My only real complaint would be the room, it was quite plain which was fine, but the bed was like sleeping on a rock. Worst, hardest bed I have slept in anywhere, it didn't even feel like there was a mattress on it. But that's just personal preference I suppose. All in all, we had a great stay, and I feel like it was quite good value for money, although we spent a fair bit in tuk tuks and taxis getting to the main strip in Chaweng so would probably stay closer to the shopping area next time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karissa D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed in a Beachfront Villa during May of this year for 6 nights. The features of the villa were fantastic with it's own pool, sala and large villa with separate lounge room right on the beach. However, we were disappointed with a lot of the little to medium things that you should expect when paying top dollar.

For one, the villa needs a renovation. Everything is starting to get old and maintenance is required. From mold in the showers to nails sticking up out of the decking everywhere to sticky doors, dirty floors and sheets/towels with stains and holes. The list goes on.

We used the gym a few times but would have used it more if not for the state of that. It is a small gym but has enough to get by. The problem is that the running machine needs to be replaced (with the tread worn through and the motor only coping to a certain point), the bike having no foot straps, the carpeting is horrible and needs replacing, no gym towels on most days and until 2 days before we left an old tv (was replaced with a new flat screen).

We have stayed at a lot of resorts over the years (including Beyond Resort in Khaolak during the same trip - see separate review) and we found the resort lacked atmosphere (it was going into low season though). The staff were nowhere as friendly as other places and even on check out, we felt we were invisible.

Also, be careful of paying with credit card. I only found out on my return that we charged in effect 4% by paying with credit card versus cash. What they do is convert the Baht rate into your home rate at their rates versus the credit card rate. This is not mentioned anywhere nor told at checkout. I contacted the resort and yes, this is what they do on checkout (not on deposits though). Unprofessional and a rort.

So overall, this is the first time I have written a negative review and I would not recommend going to this resort. There are better ones for better value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VanBorka
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Nora for one week.
Nice Bungalows with low distance to the sea, clean rooms, good breakfast and friendly staff.
It's located in north chaweng, hence quiet and relaxing and you avoid the music and beats in the night. You reach the center within a 20 minutes walk by the mainstreet or the beach.
We would recommend the Nora.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Heading back over to koh Samui in November, so excited to be staying at Nora beach resort had a ball last year especially drinking those NoraRamas, really looking forward to being able to stay here with my boyfriend this time :)

Stayed march last year

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We can't say enough how much we enjoyed our stay. We organised to re new our wedding vows for our 25th wedding anniversary at the hotel along with staying 7 nights in a Beach front Villa. Firstly one of the previous reviewers is right, "sell the car" and stay in a beach front villa. The view is spectacular and the size of the villa was amazing. Many thanks to Miss Jun and her house keeping team, they put fresh flowers in the bathroom, the bedroom and the lounge room and changed them every second day. Our room was cleaned every morning while we were at breakfast, we have stayed in Thailand 6 times and often the room isn't cleaned till the afternoon but it was so refreshing to come back from breakfast and have the room spotless.
Secondly a very big thank you to Mr Gang for all the work he did to make us feel so special and organise everything from food to logistics for our ceremony.
Our biggest thanks go to Anna (wedding planner) her organisation, friendly approach and her ability to just make things happen blew us away!!!!! Nothing was too hard for her and she did it all with true passion.
We never had to ask for anything twice, if the staff said it would be 5 mins it was 5mins, if they said 10 mins it was 10 mins.
The beach out the front of our villa was so clean it was like a carpet, there was always a gardner ensuring it was spotless.
The security around the hotel was brilliant you always felt safe. A big pat on the back to the chef, the food was beautifully and creatively presented as we ate at the hotel twice and had room service several times. Chef also did our meal for our private dinner on the beach and it was delicious. Breakfast was very good and once again spotlessly clean in all the serving area.
Thank you also to the Manager who I sent an email to prior to us leaving Australia requesting a pillow topper for our bed as I had had recent shoulder surgery and know how hard Thai beds can be and it was there right from the word go and just perfect to sleep on.
This hotel is more like a relaxed resort than a high class hotel which is what makes it that bit more special. We loved that it was a little bit out of Chewang and you really felt like you were on an island holiday.
"My Time" was a great plus that cost us nothing, thank you flight centre and the hotel, it allowed great discounts at the Spa and dinners at the hotel. Plus a few little nice extras.
Once again a big thank you to all the Management and staff for making our holiday unforgettable.

Room Tip: Book a villa, but especially the beach front villa Room 2013 was amazing,
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan554832
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed at Nora Beach for a family wedding - stayed in an Ocean Villa - from the time we were picked up at the airport to the time we left the service was second to none, the restaurant, pool area, reception bar were excellent and being right on the beach was a big bonus. The wedding was fantastic. We are now saving for our next visit!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MichaelUxbridgeuk
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My partner and I arrived into Koh Samui airport one evening and were picked up by a driver from the Resort. The check in process ran smoothly and shortly after we taken to our room. I'm usually very picky when it comes to Accommodation but was very happy with the resort standards. Everything was clean, aesthetics were lovely and I instantly felt comfortable in our space. We stayed in a Nora Villa which included a balcony. I noticed on the first night that there were a small amount of tiny ants in the room/ bed which surprisingly didn't bother me too much, but after 4 days we checked into the pool villa which didn't seem to have the ant problem.

Breakfast buffet was nice, I overheard some guests comment they were disappointed about the amount of "dinner" foods available, however I didn't think this was an issue and I believe is quick common amongst Thai resorts. There were several other options such as juice, yoghurt, muesli, pastries and fruit. There is an area where you can have eggs any style made. My main complaint about my breakfast experience is that the service is quite poor. Each guest is required to prepare their own coffee. On 95% of the occasions I went to make coffee, the water filter needed to changed, the coffee beans required refilling or the bin needed to be emptied. There was always more than plenty staff roaming the breakfast buffet but seemed oblivious to check on this.

The most popular time for breakfast was between 8-9am and the line for eggs usually took between 5-10 minutes. A small aspect to mention, but I would prefer a service where you can place an order and have the staff bring to your table once ready.

We checked into The Pool Villa 4 days after check in, it was the room we initially wanted but was unavailable. The room was beautiful, spacious and for couples wanting a little privacy away from the main pool, I would definitely suggest the extra cost. The private pool was always refreshing and clean, the area had tanning chairs also. It was the perfect setting to lie by your private pool in the sun with a book and your partner by your side.

The main pool was by no means not of a high standard, again it was always clean and although our visit wasn't during high season I wouldn't say it was every noisy or overcrowded. Before checking into our pool villa we enjoyed all our mornings by the resort pool.

The beach isn't the nicest up where the Nora is located as opposed to the resorts further down. There isn't much sand and the water is quite rocky/ seaweedy. The beach is significantly busier 1km- 1.5km down towards the centre of town and I would say the reason is purely because the sand/ water is much more pleasant.

Main positives:
- For the exercise conscious, there is a small gym available with all you need.
- Pool villa size & aesthetics.

Main negatives:
- Bar staff on more than one occasion didn't know how to make the drinks on their menu. The drinks they did know how to make didn't taste nice. Nicer drinks at a bar in town are available for a fifth of the price. Bar staff 4 times out of 5 also spoke minimal English.
-The language barrier was surprisingly an issue with quite a few of the staff members we encountered. Eg; called for room service and spoke to 4 people to order a club sandwich.
- Upon checking in the rooms were nice and clean, however during our stay I found that turn over was not carries out efficiently. The bathroom in particular could have been cleaned with more care.
- Issues when calling reception similar to room service, seems like no one could assist with simple queries before speaking to a third or forth person.
- No pool service. Eg; requesting a drink to the tanning beds.

Neutral feedback
- Resort isn't walking distance from the main part of town, you would need to rent a scooter or catch taxis.

Room Tip: Pool villa is great for couples
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple