“Old but perfectly situated”

Chaweng Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #98 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Old but perfectly situated”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is in an ideal location as it's only a few minutes walk to the "main" areas of Chaweng but far enough out to get a quiet nights sleep every night.
The bad; rooms are old and quite grubby; we didn't mind as we came here for everything chaweng has to offer and not to stay in the rooms. Could be off putting to a lot of westerners? The pool is recently refurbished and while not huge it's very nice and we spent some time in it most days. Possibly the best part of the resort is the evening restaurant on the beach; even if not staying here the food is awesome, setting is beautiful and there is even a little show, great if you've never seen Thai dancing before.
Overall we were happy with our stay, with some TLC and deep cleaning this place could be 5/5 which I hope the management does soon as it would attract far more guests!!! Thanks again :-)

• Stayed April 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great little set up here ideal for the single traveller or couples, right in the middle of the action just off both the beach and the main road but very quiet. Bathroom was a little dingy but the air con worked and i had no problems at all during my 2 week stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked the hotel on line.We were initialy disapointed in the rooms, but got used to it after some time.Periodic sewer smells take some getting used to it.Some problems solving took care of the problem.The housekeeping is good enough,but not super.The staff is very friendy.The hotel is located very well with a very good pool and very nice beach.I would come back no problems.

Room Tip: Most rooms appear to be in good locations away from the city noise,however being under the Ko Samui...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I'm never sure about Lonely Planet recommendations so I decided to try one out. Epic fail. Never again will I listen to Lonely Planet blindly. TripAdvisor has a much better resource of reviews and ratings from independent travelers.
I try to see the good in any place I stay and ill say that the friendly attentive service of some of the staff was really very nice. The concierge/travel planning lady was awesome. Helped us find a good excursion and was very informative. One of the staff always has a smile on his face and is always attentive.
The bad: we chose the garden view villa knowing that they were old so I accept the blame. But the floor boards had open spaces between them and I wouldn't be surprised if someone fell through them soon. Granted this is thailand and there is life everywhere but a mouse in the room was a little surprising and it could easily be explained by the wide open drain pipe in front of the toilet. Which we asked to be covered but was ignored.
Again I chalk this up to 'first World expectations' and I try not to be that type of traveller but overall the appearance of the grounds was messy and unkempt and considering the price I was a bit disappointed with the room and the grounds.
Breakfast was hilarious because everything was cold. Except the fresh eggs which they made (positive). The bacon was cold which I found particularly strange.
Overall none of this is particularly bad if we were paying less for the truly great beachfront location. But we found a hotel down the road for cheaper with excellent facilities and service. Though some don't like the party atmosphere of arkbar, we had no issue with it and enjoyed the far superior facilities.
If you are a young or mature couple looking for a peaceful or romantic getaway DON'T GO TO CHAWENG BEACH AT ALL. Go to one of the quieter beaches you will thank yourself for staying away. If you are young friends (like us) or young couple looking to party stay at ArkBar. Great facilities, great price, great location. I see no real reason to stay at chaweng villa.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank NVDDS
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The rooms were dated, the bathroom was so dirty and disgusting that I couldn't bear to use it!
The air con was noisy.
The service was terrible. The beach area was covered in litter.
The only ok bit was the pool.
Overall you couldn't pay me to come back and it definitely isn't a 3 star! I'd be pushed to give it 1!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Upfrontandhonest

Travelers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Uncomfortable is all I can say about this place - from the non-working AC's, splinter-causing wood floors, broken shower head, single beds for a couple, the don't- give- a- s***t reception staff.... the other guests all said the same but they were on a package and so were STUCK.

Not to be totally negative, the bar served cold beer and the free buffet breakfast was quite good.

We got out of there after the 2nd night of sweating and being eaten alive by mosquitoes and moved to Cheong Mon Beach just up the coast.

Room Tip: Stay at another resort/hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Novascotian692
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here after extending our holiday in Koh Samui and then having our previous resort booked out.

It was a fairly cheap hotel and $55 au a night, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Our room was dirty and we used thongs on our feet in the bathroom as we were not sure how clean the bathroom floor was.
Our towels were dirty and looked like they had stained blood on them, so we asked for new ones and at first they said we needed to wait until the morning. Which we refused to do.

The complimentary vanity products were in used plastic bottles and looked like they had been re used and the door handle to the room was nearly broken off.

You needed to pay for wi fi and when I lost the little piece of paper the password was written on an hour later after breakfast the staff wanted to charge me again!

The breakfast was poor, there was no fruit and you needed to make your own tea and coffee.

Staff at the front desk had very very poor English and when I asked them to call the jungle club (a well known bar that picks you up and takes you to the mountain) the man at the front desk had never heard of them!

I would not recommend this resort. Ok if you are a back packer but I wouldn't pay the $55 for the room!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
P&P Samui Resort
Iyara Beach Hotel & Plaza
#51 of 104 in Chaweng
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort
Malibu Koh Samui Resort & Beach Club

Been to Chaweng Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!