“Comfortable stay and smiley staff, but more than a bit dated”

Banana Fan Sea Resort
Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
New York City, New York
“Comfortable stay and smiley staff, but more than a bit dated”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at the Banana Fan for four nights in December of 2012 to close out the year. I chose BF because it was recommended to me by a colleague and was highly rated on TripAdvisor for the Chaweng area.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay. I spent time on the beach as well as by the pool and the staff was always smiling and eager to bring me more beers - all positives.

The rooms are a bit dated, still featuring tube TV's and key locks (e.g., not key card), but they're comfortable and more than suitable for a few days. As my friend said so aptly, "I bet this place was the BOMB in 1994!". The bathrooms were obviously of the same vintage, but the water was always warm under high pressure.

The location was what really did it for me ... I ran along the (sloping) beach every morning and often walked to bars and restaurants in the area. When a cab was needed, I didn't need to wait for than a moment.

I did have a problem with some errant charges on my reservation after booking through an online retailer. After a few conversations and back-and-forth emails with the GM, it was resolved.

For the price and location, it's a very good option, but there are definitely more modern options along the beach and through out the island.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gensac
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am in two minds whether to write this review or not. I stayed in this hotel and thought it was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. From the welcome reception to the farewell everything was perfect.

The rooms are very well appointed and dotted throughout the estate. They have all the amenities and are completely private. everything is within easy reach of the room including a lovely pool where you can enjoy refreshing drinks and absolutely delicious food. Some of the best I have eaten in Thailand.

The reason for my reticence in writing is that I hope this little piece of heaven doesn't mean that i cannot become too popular and I wont be able to get a reservation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank tofty21
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

The food here is amazing. Especially the massaman curry which i had and the pasta was good too. Desserts not quite as impressive but still good. Service is great and live music. Overlooking beach, a really excellent restaurant! Highly reccommend!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sarzaanne
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The resort is beautiful from the moment you enter the grounds. Great location on busy chaweng Rd, it is a relaxing resort which is a surprise on such a busy street. The foyer area is stunning and the garden grounds are just as nice. The room was great and restaurant and pool area impressive. Beautiful beach with huge waves and white soft sand.

The women working at the tourist information desk who booked all our activities went above and beyond. She was so helpful and when my fiancé broke a personalised plate we had got from our snorkelling tour she made special contact with the company to have a new one delivered the very next day. I feel terrible for not remembering her name [I should have done this review when we first returned]!

The only downfall for the hotel was the wifi. It was not free and the connection was bad in our room, it kept dropping out. And on a few nights there were really load fireworks going off on the beach just at the front of the hotel. It was not by fault of the hotel though it was just the location.

We all in all enjoyed our stay and I would recommend Banana fan sea to anyone travelling to Koh Samui.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This queit resort is right on the beach and has nice rooms. The Resteraunt inside has great food and excellent service. The staff was helpfull and friendly and the accommodations were perfect.
Highly recomend!

Room Tip: Choose the larger rooms (can't remember the name), but ask to stay closer in to the beach as the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jon T
Shanghai, China
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at Banana Fan Sea for 3 nights between 12-15 Dec. My wife wanted a resort that is close to the hustle and bustle at the Chaweng area, and this hotel is wonderfully located at the centre of the action.
However, we were disappointed by the rooms which probably need refurbishing and better ventilation. Breakfast selection was also below expectations, with little choice for Asian palates like ours.
Overall, a good choice if you want location. Otherwise, would recommend that you consider other resorts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Burke
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My friends and I stayed at this resort based on recommendations from other friends. We had a great time there mainly due to the excellent location, and friendly staff.

The resort is located directly on the best beach on Koh Samui and is right on the main walking strip of Chaweng beach. You can get out of your room and walk right onto the white sand beach or right onto the main drag of all the shopping, restaurants bars and clubs.

The staff, especially the duty manager, Yot, was excellent. They took care of us the whole time, offered us free room upgrades, attended to all of our needs instantly and even looked out for us when it was time to check out and we were late getting up.

They were also excellent for arranging excursions, in our case we rented motor bikes from them for the same price as anywhere else. However if you read reviews most places on the island try to rip you off and charge you for damages that you didn't do etc. The Banana Fan staff took care of all that. We took pictures of the bikes like we were told to but it was unnecessary. They made the whole experience painless and enjoyable.

They were very occomodating in every way possible and we cant thank them enough for the good time we had. They arranged airport pickup and drop off in a big comfortable van and it was the same price if not cheaper than any local taxi service.

We stayed in deluxe rooms since the beachfront villas were all sold out, but these rooms were large, spacious, clean and very comfortable. I heard the beachfront rooms are even nicer than those, and next time we will try and check them out.

I would definitely go back and highly recommend this hotel/resort if you plan to stay on Koh Samui and want to be in the best location possible to enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: Try for the beachfront rooms. The deluxe rooms are a little farther from the beach but are larger a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends