“Best non Thai food on the Island”
Review of The Larder

The Larder
Ranked #20 of 204 Restaurants in Chaweng
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: No fuss. No fancy terms. No pretension. The Larder takes things back to basics, serving up rustic casual dining and cocktails with a twist. Offering up a mix of comfort food and classics that have been revived, remixed and reinvigorated alongside cocktails that have been deconstructed into new liquid magic.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

You have to go! up the hill at the very top of the Chaweng strip! It took us a long time to find it, but well worth the search. A lot of people suggested we try it and you will glad if you do.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Larde last week for dinner. I was expecting it to be excellent, but was disappointed. The pork dish lacked crackling. The scallop entire was very nice but was overloaded with lentils. The salted caramel ice cream lacked flavour.
Service was excellent as was the decor.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went twice for lunch here as it was recommended by other tourists. The ambience was casual and the service friendly and efficient. the food was really tasty and very well presented a little more expensive than the average resturant on the island but well worth it.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Usually we save our 'fine' dining for the big cities but we drive past The Larder often on our way to Chaweng so it was time to give it a go - very glad we did! The food was fresh & innovative, a good selection available & serves were decent. I didn't have room for dessert, cheese or the peanut butter margarita but I will make time to go back soon for all! I wouldn't class The Larder as fine dining but for Samui, I think it's a lovely addition.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love the concept of this place...5* gourmet food in an unpretentious setting where the focus is on the food. I read a few reviews where people were complaining that they were not given enough attention or minor things were not in line with their expectations of perfection. I believe that in thinking like this, these people are missing the point...this is incredibly good food.

Samui has a stream of sea view restaurants where you pay for the view, and ultimately sweat for it (due to the open nature of most restaurants by the sea). I can not understate the importance of being in an airconditioned restaurant, and the effect it has on the quality of a meal. It means you can relax and enjoy your meal without feeling the need to rush off and take a shower straight after. The Larder has this relaxed atmosphere where you can spend all night enjoying a meal.

The food is simply incredible. I would rate it as the best food I have ever eaten. I have been to a Michelin starred restaurant before, and the food here is on the same level, if not higher (in some cases).

Drinks were original, and creatively designed just like the food with a humorous twist to how they were named.

Choosing dishes was difficult due to the diversity of appealing choices you do not always see on the same menu in Thailand. The goat's cheese was divine, and even better than expected due to the quality of the walnuts (they must have been seasoned in a special way somehow). I ended up ordering 2 starters and 2 desserts both nights I ate there!!

The main courses were exceptional as well....I had a beef belly one day, and steak the other (cooked perfectly with just the right balance of cheese and sides). The choc fudge cake dessert I had on day 2 was almost certainly the best dessert I have ever had...to try it is to believe it.

The service was friendly and attentive and perfectly in line with the quality of the place....although do not expect people to come to your table with white gloves...this is not part of the concept of The Larder from what I could from talking to the chef. It is based on a level of friendly informality whilst maintaining the high standards of food. There were no service charges on the bill, or tax, which I see as a great plus (pardon the pun).

Overall I found the meal easily worthy of 5 stars...I just hope that it does not become a victim of its own success due to people expecting perfection every time they go there (I read somewhere below someone complaining that the angle of the menu board was not perfectly viewable from where they were sitting). I think this greatly misses the point and is a shame that people go to places with this sort of mindset. However, from reading the majority of views, it seems that most people 'get it'.....

This place is about food. Incredible food.