“Niggles, niggles, niggles!!”

Ranked #17 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
London
“Niggles, niggles, niggles!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in 2006 and was looking forward to a return visit. I booked direct through the hotel's own website, and the entire cost of my stay was charged in advance.
On arrival I was told there was no room for me at the hotel and I would have to stay at their 'sister' resort for part of my trip. I declined...and 10 minutes later was shown to the room I had booked and paid for!!
Not a good start, and this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident...beware!
I have to say my memory had served me well, and this is still a nice looking hotel in a good location.
But here are the niggles..
1. Overbooking. I booked direct with the hotel, and paid a higher rate than some other websites were offering, precisely to avoid this sort of nonsense.
2. Sunbeds. Come on...it's not rocket science. Buy some more sunbeds!!! Some mornings all the sunbeds wre 'reserved' by towels by 8-30am. If there are enough sunbeds to go round people will not feel the need to get up in the middle of the night to reserve theirs, and will take the risk of removing their towel if they leave the resort. I was on a much needed holiday but didn't dare have a lie-in in case I missed the one chance of the day before breakfast to nab a sunbed. Very poor.
3. Air conditioning. Whan you removed the key fob from by the door of the bungalow this turns all the electricity including the air conditioning off until your return, by which time the room is hotter than Hades, and takes hours to cool down. I would expect this in a guesthouse but in a £100+ a night hotel this is just plain pennypinching.
4. Checkout. I booked a transfer to the airport va the hotel and this was ready and waiting for me when I checked out. I settled up and went to get in the minibus, but was told in no uncertain terms I could not leave the premises until my room had been checked for damage. Now I have stayed in many hotels and I am sure it's not the first time my room has been checked before I go, but it's the first time it has been done in this manner...really unsubtle and frankly an insult.

So there it is...maybe I was lucky the first time I stayed, or unlucky the second. Who knows...I do know there is unlikely to be a third!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank SuperTrev
NickBauer, General Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments.It is through comments like yours that we can further improve our service levels.

We have sufficient sun loungers at both of our swimming pools for the enjoyment of our patrons.

In line with the world wide campaign on energy savings,we do follow suit with our energy saving keyed power systems.

We do apologize if the check out as experienced was not up to your satisfaction,it is however part and common practice of our check out policy to verify on minibar and overall intactness of our guest rooms.

We do hope to see you as our returning guest in the not too distant future.

General Manager & the Chaweng Regent team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Cordoba, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

Everything was OK in this place, from the welcome drink to the breakfast, from the swimming poo to the AC.
The private beach is second only to Hawaii, dining a few steps from the ocean is priceless, it was one of the best hotels in our trip.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Valued Guest,

Thank you for yor kind words of praise.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

This resort is just perfect, centrally located, close to everything but also on a beautiful pristine beach. Staff were friendly and efficient and the resort was very clean and well maintained. The resort is set in gorgeous tropical gardens and it was a pleasure to walk through the flowers etc- it was great to see the way the gardening staff tended the gardens keeping them perfectly groomed.

Beach was white sand and sky blue water, clean and the sea was warm all day. The usual beach hawkers but not too obtrusive.

The only negative to our stay was fireworks- every night at all hours. They are supposed to be illegal in Thailand but someone/somewhere was letting them off and they were big loud bangs which woke us up every night. Not within the resort but very close judging by the sound. I wonder if the resort has complained to anyone ? Lucky all we had to do was lie in the sun all day as we were tired from lack of sleep.

Apart from the one negative this is a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NickBauer, General Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2010
Valued guest,

The use of fireworks is prohibited by law and the Chaweng Regent amongst many other establishments advises its patrons accordingly for the well being of all visitors to the island.

melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted kindly and shown to our room.
We had chosen and paid for a deluxe villa. What we were given was a room in a long outdoor corridor which had a permanent laundry and cleaning cart parked outside of it and a horrid sewerage smell which seemed to be there 24hrs a day. The room itself had mould in the bathroom, NO fly wire on the windows or on the doors (ridiculous for an area like Koh Samui where the mosquitoes are rampant) and it had a general musty smell.
For a 4 star hotel I believe this is way under standard and more like a local 1 star motel!

We decided that due to the reasons above and the staff not offering another room when we asked that we would leave Koh Samui early and head to Bangkok. We spoke with the transfer company who were brilliant in assisting us with amending flight times and transfer times. Once we had this done we approached reception at the Chaweng Regent to advise we would be leaving 3 days early. The response I received from the receptionist was that we would have to pay for an additional nights accommodation as that is what the policy was!
I asked how could we possibly be charged an extra night when we were leaving 3 days early and not asking for any refund. I asked to speak to the manager and to be shown a copy of this policy as I had certainly not been advised of it, the receptionist disappeared for 30 minutes while I waited. After sitting there for 40 minutes and no one assisting me I asked again, the other receptionist advised me to go to my room and that the manager would come and see me.
By 9pm that evening NO one had come to see me. I went back to reception and spoke to the same receptionist who simply repeated the policy with no explanation as to why the manager had not responded.

I asked to speak to the manager again and was told they had gone for the day. Another receptionist came to speak to me and repeated the policy. I again asked to see a copy of this policy and she told me that she couldn't show me as it was a policy between the hotel and the travel agency who booked my trip. She said that my travel agent should have told me about this policy and that we had to pay.

I said I refuse to pay for something you cannot show me and that is supposedly a contract between travel agent and the hotel. She said she would speak to the manager and get back to me.

The next morning I went to reception and was given a letter which was pre written. The letter was for us to sign and it said something along the lines of "we will not charge you the additional night if you do not complain to your travel agent"

This is a revolting abuse of power and I am appalled at the poor treatment we received at this hotel.

Our flight to Bangkok was in the afternoon on our 3rd day there and when we checked out we were charged a half day fee to stay in the room until 2pm. We paid this as we were so over dealing with the hotel staff we just wanted to leave.

Never again will I stay at this hotel!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank KarenM097
Central Coast NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

On arrival we were told there was no room for us at the resort (even after paying up front some 4 months ago). We were sent to their "sister resort" called Melati at Tongsai Bay for the first few nights. We were upgraded into royal suites on our return to Chaweng Regent and they were great rooms. However the mosquitoes were everywhere - even when they sprayed the room you were still eaten at night in bed. Apart from that (and the toilet that kept blocking) the place was really good.
The towels on the pool chairs early in the morning happens everywhere - so if you can't beat them join them! If you let the chair go later in the day you cannot necessarily get one when you want one. So once you get the chair - keep it!
The resort is right in the middle of everything - Chaweng is a really busy beach. Dont go here if you want a nice secluded holiday.
You are not troubled by the noise of the main street at all - only the fireworks going off at all hours of the night on the beach (and some noise from local beach bars). Nothing to worry about too much though.
We were sorry we did not eat in Red Snapper - instead we ate in the other restaurant on the beach. It was okay but we had much better meals at other places.
All in all it was a good holiday - but I think we did prefer Melati Resort even though it was more isolated away from everything. It was good to experience both resorts so it all worked out for the best.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Valued guest,

We take note of the challenge experienced at the Chaweng Regent for instant improvement.
At the same time we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our sister property the luxurious Melati Beach Resort & Spa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to either property.

Group General Manager
Rotterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

Great hotel to spend your holiday, very nice complex , with very friendly staff.

Perfect breakfast and absolute perfect location on a great beach.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Valued guest,

Thank you for your praise,hope to see you very soon again.

Kind regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

We stayed in one of the cottages which was small but quaintly decorated. Although close to our neighbours we couldn't hear them from the bedroom. The only indication that the rooms next door were occupied was the noise of the airconditioner that can be heard from the bathroom. The room was quite cramped for two adults but you don't come to Samui to lie around in the room. The water pressure in the shower is not great and the bathroom is dark, while the bedroom curtains let a lot of light in at night. There are a number of very popular beach bars nearby so if you are hoping to get an early night expect to be woken by fireworks exploding overhead into the small hours. The airconditioner was effective but loud. Housekeeping was great with frequent scatterings of fresh flowers around the room, fresh fruit every day and a daily spraying for mosquitos in and outside the room which really works. On nights when we visited other resorts we always came back with several insect bites but had none when we stayed around the Regent.
The resort generally is well laid-out and quiet. Our room was directly opposite the children's play park which we thought would be a noise issue but we hardly heard a peep from it. All the food was great, breakfast was a huge spread every day and other meals from the restaurant or beach bar were all pleasant. The staff are great, from the warm welcome to the helpfulness around the beach and pools. They don't seem to expect tips and even the smallest gratuity earned us a loyal following from several waiters who were extra attentive thereafter. Another nice touch is that the hotel has claimed part of the beach for itself which means you are less hastled by beach vendors here than at some of the cheaper neighbouring places.
The fitness room was nice, never busy, well airconditioned and adequately equipped. The spa is extra special, a lot more expensive than the street vendors of course but you get what you pay for. After trying a few beach massages and then the in-house spa we didn't feel the need to leave the resort again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Valued guest,

Thank you for your review.We are gradually re-modelling our resort for your future pleasure,so that you may enjoy a fresh look on our accomodations portfolio on your next visit.