“Great Hotel with Disapointments”

Chaweng Regent Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed July 22, 2013

2nd year in a row we have stayed at this hotel, the surroundings and rooms are very nice. I struggle to understand though how a hotel can not offer free WiFi through out in these modern times. Even when you do pay 1000TB ($36AUD) for 7 day access, the service cannot be used by the main pool. For that reason alone we will have to seriously consider whether we bother staying here again.

Seriously - everyone has mobile devises now, get with the program and sort out the WiFi.

Room Tip: Premier Room offers far better accom than the standard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RMS B
Chaweng_Regent_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear RMS B,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. The Team at Chaweng Regent was honored to serve you for the second time and looks forward to many more opportunities to do so. Feedback is always taken positively as it helps us to improve further.

We are aware of the hindrance with the wireless service, which is why we've installed a free service within our restaurants. Chaweng Regent Beach Resort is not the only resort on the island which does not provide free wireless service; in fact several resorts of the same rating and above abide by the same policy. This by no means justifies the inconvenience and we hope that you will choose us again for your next visit.

Thank you again for taking the time to share, we look forward to welcoming you again,

With Warmest Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have just returned from 7 nights at the Chaweng Regent Hotel. As 3 adults we found this hotel to be just as good if not better than it sounded. The staff are absolutely delightful and cannot do enough for you and always with a smile. The breakfasts are amazing ! The facilities are excellent. We didn't know anyone who had stayed at this resort so I guess I was a bit nervous, however we would thoroughly recommend this resort and definitely would go back !

Room Tip: We had a spa villa suite which consisted of a huge bed (think super king), plus a roll out couch bed...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sonya E,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, we are delighted to hear your stay at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort was a success. The Team will be happy to know you enjoyed the food, gardens and friendly service during your stay.

We are delighted you enjoyed everything about the resort and look forward to welcoming you both in the near future.

Thanks again for your fantastic comments.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Chaweng Regent Resort. I have read through many of the reviews below and they all have a common thread - room not ready, offered free upgrade, having to move to another room. Each of these reviews could have been written by me as our experience was nearly the same.

We arrived at the hotel early, checked in and were told we had the room I had requested, months ago when booking, and that it would be ready for us at 2pm which was check in time. We stored our luggage, with our room number on it, at the desk and spent the next couple of hours relaxing on the beach. On our return we were told we had been given a "free upgrade" for 1 night. I replied I did not want the free upgrade and did not want to move rooms. We had just come from another resort at Khao Lak and just wanted to unpack and settle in for the week. Someone came to speak to us and she said I will tell you the truth, your room is not ready and you have to take this one. At 11am we had the room near the beach by 2pm it was not available. This is a deplorable way to run a resort, and by reading the reviews of others, it is a common occurance.
We were given a room down near the street end for the night as the "free upgrade" which was noisy and not what we wanted. I too have travelled a great deal in many countries and this is the first time this has happened. If you book and pay for a room months in advance, you expect it to be available. It really soured the beginning of our stay. After much complaining the following morning,we were told the room I had requested would became available at 11am. It was a hassle to pack up again, come back to the resort and move.
It is ashame they have this problem, as the grounds and position of the resort is very good, however you can not swim in the lagoon at the front, too shallow, never saw it fill up after staying a week. The resort is close to shopping and restaurants.

The room we eventually got, which was the one I had booked at the beginning of the year, was the Deluxe Regency 245 overlooking the garden pool at the beach end of the resort. If you chose to stay here, this is where you would want to be. It was quiet, no street or bar noise, which is why I had chosen it after reading through reviews. It was spacious enough, with a balcony overlooking the garden pool and the bathroom included a small bath. It had all toiletries shampoo, conditioner, body lotion (I did not use as I like my own) as well as toothbrushes, combs, cotton balls etc. Down side you had to pay for wi-fi but I asked for this complimentary as well as a late check out as compensation for being messed around. Wi-fi did not always work in room.

I have not stayed in Koh Samui before, so I do not know if the room not being available is a common occurance in other hotels there, but it would be worth checking. Generally my reviews are positive but I felt it was important to make any future travellers aware of this problem. There are many resorts along Chaweng Beach that looked quite nice, I think the Chaweng Regency need to lift their game or risk losing clients. I would not recommend this resort based on the experience with the room and I will be giving this feedback to others. Nice resort but shoddy treatment. Not good enough!

Room Tip: Delux Regency beach end, upstairs. We stayed in 245(eventually) quiet, overlooking pool, close to be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traval2
Chaweng_Regent_Samui, General Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Traval2,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in regards to communication and lack of warmth from our associates. On behalf of the Team, thank you indeed for your feedback, this will help us to ensure that we improve our services.

We have noted your comments regarding your stay with us and are truly saddened for our short-comings. We were particularly disappointed to see that your expectations were not met upon check in. I am very concerned, as it is definitely not the genuine service we strive to deliver. We also assure you that we will be taking steps to ensure such occurrence is not repeated.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything I can do to ensure your future stay at Chaweng Regent will be a pleasant one.

Daniel G. Fuchs
Group General Manager
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort
Melati Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This Was Our Second Stay Here And Everything Was Once Again Great. Stayed In One Of The Beautiful Villas And Was Happy With Every Aspect. Grounds Are Beautifully Kept, Pool Area Lovely And Clean And Food And Cocktails Always Good. Staff Lovely And Always Helpful. I Just Can't Relate To Some Of The Experiences Of Other Reviewers. We Have Had Wonderful Holidays Both Times We Stayed Here.

Room Tip: Garden Villas Worth Paying Extra For.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Chaweng_Regent_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear lyn4268,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback.
It is wonderful to hear from our valued guests and your comments are much appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Like several people who have reviewed this hotel it appears to be a regular occurance of OVERBOOKING!! and when you arrive putting you in a different room to what you booked, which is not a good start to a holiday. We arrived at 9pm in the evening from having a busy two days in Bangkok to be taken to a room on the second floor of the building and put in a room that was smelly and not Superior what I had booked. I was in shock to start with then my husband and I went back to reception to ask to look at my Hotel voucher as I was not happy with the room. They said they were very busy and there was no other rooms available. I explained I did not book this room and it was a special occasion the next day (my husbands birthday). I was told to come back after breakfast the next day and they would change our room. This did not give us a good first impression however......after breakfast the next day we were taken to a beautiful bungalow, what we had ordered. The gardens and beach were lovely. They even gave my husband a birthday cake that evening. The staff going forward were lovely especially Teerapong the waiter at the beach bar who served some lovely cocktails and excellent service. I would stay here again but would make sure I get a bungalow not a room in the main building.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Bungalow 507 beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank denise_bennett94
Denis M, Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time reviewing your recent stay with us and we appreciate you sharing your extremely valuable comments with us and others!

It was indeed a great pleasure to have your company and we shall be looking forward to welcome you soon back the The Melati!!

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I read with much interest the review by Constatine V - "Off to a very bad start".
What a sense of déjà vu.
We had the exact experience on June 30th.
We had booked and paid for our 2 premier rooms at the start of the year and were informed due to a system glitch the hotel was over booked we had to be down graded for a night.
We were not happy. We were offered the complimentary buffet dinner for 4 but requested an  la carte option which they provided and was very nice. I also requested free WIFI for the inconvenience and were given a three day package.
Return airport transfers were also included as part of the compensation.
However when you are only there for 7 nights and you are in limbo for the first night it is a huge inconvenience.

The next day we were told our rooms would be ready at 1.30pm and to please be ready at that time to change rooms. I waited in the room at the requested time to supervise the transfer of our luggage and I am then informed only one of the rooms is ready and our second room won't be ready until 4.30pm as the guests in our room could not move out until later in the afternoon as they were not well and required a trip to the hospital. Although I sympathize with this situation it shouldn't have become our problem.

Once we were in our rooms and settled our experience did improve. The staff were all lovely, especially Jate, he always welcomed us with a smile & chat.

I would really need to consider at length my decision to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank KazAus33

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We arrived at the hotel 5 days ago after booking 2 premium interconnecting rooms back in February. After waiting 30 mins to check in a staff member arrived telling us they had overbooked and could not provide us with our rooms till the next day. Our jaws dropped. We were then given 2 non interconnecting small boxy rooms by the pool which my wife and family were not happy with at all with this downgrade. We were separated from our kids by one room which was not preferred. We were provided with a complimentary buffet dinner as compensation however this start left us with a very bad taste and had me question, is this really a 4 star hotel when they can't honour a confirmed and paid booking from 5 months ago ?. We were then moved to the Premier rooms we had paid for the next day at 2.00pm.. We also had to follow up several times for staff to take our luggage but when we were given the rooms we had paid for, we were very happy. The hotel is a good well located hotel but this major error would make me think twice about returning. When you only have 6 days you don't want to spend 24 hours not unpacked and waiting to be transferred to your rooms, it effectively writes off one day. I would not recommend staying in a poolside room as they are small, dark and unwelcoming and would recommend a Premium room as a minimum which are very spacious and nice and really worked well for our family as intended. Apart from this incident, the hotel is good. Agree with everyone else in that complimentary wi fi for a hotel like this should be mandatory. So in concluding, if you had our bookings right from the outset, this review would have been very different with a great experience and a wonderful room from day 1 and not an average rating.

Room Tip: Pay extra and pick a premium room. Do not book a poolside room unless all you want to use it for is...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family