Just returned at the end of November2012 from 12 x nights at the Chaba Samui Resort in the Ocean Wing. Having stayed at the sister hotel Chaba Cabana in April 2012 I thought a comparison would be worthwhile. Firstly this hotel is in the centre of the town which is good for shops, restaurants and bars but no good for trying to get a good nights sleep with noise from live music which some nights went on until 3.30am.
As recommended we stayed on the top 4th floor near the pool and beach front,but this did not avoid the noise at night. The room was of reasonable size with good decor and cleanliness, small bathroom similar to the Chaba Cabana but with slightly more modern decor.
As this building is oblong, starting at the main road and continuing towards the sea,all bedrooms are on the left hand side with balconies facing tropical high growth trees, meaning no views unless you are on the 4th floor, the open corridors are on the right hand side of the building. At the end of this building facing the pool and sea are 3 x beautiful suites on floors 2 - 4. However because the restaurant is underneath on floor 1 there is a large extractor fan running from kitchen on floor 1 to the roof which is on all the time day and night, again causing noise on top of that created but your own air con which is also not quiet Trying to sleep is not good.we where in the room next to the suite on the 4th floor and asked to be moved to the middle of the block to avoid the extractor noise.
The breakfasts were good but food sold in the evenings was not very good for the money so we ate out most nights. The pool area and access to the beach is good but nowhere as good as the Chaba Cabana. The staff were excellent and eager to please. Other than massage services by the pool, all other spa facilities are at the Chaba Cabana.
The Lake Wing rooms were being refurbished and appeared large but with no balconies plus noise from the bars was even worse.
So if you want to be in the centre of the town for all the action but no sleep stay at the Chaba Samui, if you want a beautiful location with excellent pool, beach and romantic setting then stay at the Chaba Cabana as it is still only a 20 x minute walk or 5 x minute Tuk Tuk ride if you want the action of the town
My wife and I preferred the Chaba Cabana overall as its location is far more beautiful and peaceful yet only a short distance from the action of the town. There is very little difference in the standard of the rooms and the small bathrooms are the same in both hotels, the Cabana is decorated in more Thai style and colouring and the Samui is more modern. There is no problem with cleanliness, service or breakfasts in either hotel, so you make your choice and take your pick.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 93 Rooms, located in the heart of Chaweng, set beside a sandy white beach. Accommodation is split between two wings; the Lake Wing is across the road from the beach with the Ocean Wing located by the beach. Rooms have air conditioning, TV and tea/coffee making facilities. Ocean Wing rooms have a private balcony. Swimming pools, kids' playground, exercise room, sauna, pool bar and restaurant ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Chaba Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaba Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Hotel Chaba Samui
- Chaba Samui Resort Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand