“renervations”

Ranked #65 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
oldham
“renervations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

we have just returned from our 10 year at this resort.since last year things have improved i.e pool retiledconditoner,lobby being re built,rooms are getting new air conditioning and bathrooms have new plumbing.there are a new restaurant manager and maintenance manager.new staff that were very friendly. people should give it another visit. we will be going again next year.

Room Tip: ground floor facing pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great hotel , perfect location and service ! Been on vacation with my family and loved every second !!! The pool is really fun and the beach near the hotel is clean , quiet and relaxing!! Higely recommended

• Stayed October 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Chaweng Beachcomber (3*) a number of times and really enjoyed it. We were looking forward to going back there this August but a couple of months before we were due to arrive I read on tripadviser that the pool and restaurant were closed due to renovation work. I contacted our travel agent who said that he was aware of the renovation work but had not passed this info on to me as the work was due to be completed by the end of July 2012. The travel agent agreed to contact Beachcomber and see what the state of play was. He was told that we could keep our original booking and see how the work went, or that we could transfer to their 4 * sister hotel, Blue Lagoon, that had no work being carried out. We agreed to transfer to the Blue Lagoon. They agreed to pick us up at the airport.

We caught the 8pm flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui and arrived around 9pm. After waiting for a while at Koh Samui airport we realised one of our bags had not arrived. A worker at the airport advised us that they were already aware of this and had been contacted to say it had been left behind in Abu Dhabi. We were told it would be on the next flight out of Abu Dhabi and would be at our hotel the following day. We had to go into the office and they took copies of one of our passports and gave us a form confirming that our luggage was delayed. It was only then that we remembered someone from the hotel should have been meeting us. We realised how long we had been hanging around waiting for the bag and started looking outside. Our driver had been riding round the airport waiting for us and greeted us with a big smile even though he had been waiting around.

We were allocated a room on the second floor of the hotel. The room was really nice but looked out onto a blank white wall. The next day we were offered a change of room. We were offered a ground floor room which overlooked the garden and had views of the pool and pool bar. Our room had a good sized balcony. The room had just been refurbished and had a brand new fridge; air conditioning unit ; bathroom with bath and shower and was nicely decorated. It had a Queen size bed and a single bed. The sheets and towels were always pure white. We had an in room safe; complimentary bottles of water; a beach bag containing 2 blue beach towels. Toiletries were replenished every day. There was a TV in the room with perfect reception that had a number of satellite channels including movies and sport. A really nice touch was that every night when we returned to the room there would be 2 small cookies in a plastic bag, and a plate of local fruit. There would be a card with the fruit that would say what type of fruit it was.

We soon realised that Blue Lagoon were doing some refurbishing work - to their reception area, which was the next block up from our room. The first week we were not really disturbed by the noise as we would be out by the pool during the day and by the time we returned to the room the building work had stopped. The second week things were a little different. The workmen were at work by 8.00am and one morning someone was sanding down paintwork outside our room at 07.45am. We could hear stihl saws and banging and I feel this was a bit too early when you are on holiday. Yes we could have complained but we really liked the room and we were on holiday, we just made the best of it and went to breakfast early. The choice of breakfast food was really good. There was bacon; sausages; thai options; pastries; jams; egg station; a choice of juices etc. My husband said that the coffee was really good. The waitresses looked very smart in their uniforms and were really polite and always smiling.

Breakfast was served in the Kantara restaurant. The restaurant is beautiful and goes right on to the beach. As it's name suggests the hotel is built next to a lagoon, and on a morning it was so amazing to sit eating breakfast and look out at the calmness of the lagoon.

The hotel pool is fantastic. It is one of the cleanest pools I have been in. Ball, the attendant at the pool bar, would sweep up any fallen leaves before they had chance to fall into the pool. The pool had an area that was very shallow and this was ideal for children. There were umberellas around the sunbeds. The pool bar would have happy hours, and Ball was always smiling and polite.

There are sunbeds on the beach but these have no umberellas and are shaded by the branches of a large tree. Whilst sitting on the beach we were approached a number of times by people who were walking up and down the beach. They all wanted to know the name of the hotel, and said how beautiful it was. The hotel had free internet and also had a couple of pedal bikes that you could borrow if you wanted to explore. It had a beautiful garden which is tended to everyday.

At night the hotel would have happy hours between 6pm and 9pm at the beach bar. A bottle of singha or glass of wine would be 60 baht. Bars around the hotel would be charging anything between 60-100 baht for a singha beer so it is a good offer. It was really nice sitting by the waters edge on the beach watching people passing by. The beach at this end of chaweng is quieter, and I really prefer the location of this hotel when compared to the hotels we have stayed in previously whilst in Samui (Beachcomber and Chaba Samui). The hotel is ideally situated with a number of restaurants; bars; markets within a couple of minutes walking distance.

A couple of days before we left we paid for a late check out until 4pm and our flights were reconfirmed for us. We were taken back to the airport on 1st September 2012 by the smiling driver that had picked us up two weeks earlier.

I would like to thank a few people. Thanks to those on Tripadvisor for notifying of the renovations at Beachcomber. If not for you I would not have found the oasis that is the Blue Lagoon. Thanks to all staff at the Blue Lagoon, you work really hard and your efforts are appreciated. Thanks to the really helpful man in reception who changed our room for us. When we arrived you said you had only been with the hotel for about 4 weeks, and you showed me photos of your daughter on your phone. I wish I had taken note of your name but hope your manager reads this and knows who I am talking about. I hope he realises what an asset you are!

Would I recommend this hotel. Without a doubt, even with the building work. In fact we are already thinking about coming back next August with family and friends to celebrate my husband's and my brother's 50th birthdays.

Room Tip: rooms in the block starting with room 200 overlook the pool and are quite on an evening.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MidgetgemLeeds
South australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel in late August. They are doing renovations at the moment to the front of the hotel and rooms, but don't be put off by this, once you enter the resort it is great. It is a short walk to all the main shopping and nightlife of chaweng. We stayed in a superior room overlooking the pool. The room was spacious with a good sized bathroom, Beds were comfortable and the air conditioning worked a treat. The kettle or hot water urn once you got the hang of it was good. Free Wifi in rooms was also good. The pool area was beautiful and the beach in front was great. I have read reviews saying that you cannot swim in the beach, not sure where these reviews come from, as during our stay the beach was very high and swimming was great. Breakfast was fabulous, with many choices, hot and cold buffet, cereals, toast and pastries, fresh fruit and juices etc and the best expresso coffee in thailand.
Siting out on the beach deck each morning to eat breakfast was a joy. All the staff were very accommodating and when the renovations are finished it will be well worth staying.
I really enjoyed my stay at the Blue Lagoon and would definitely stay there again.
The Girls who do the massages by the pool are great as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nassarij
Geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Blue Lagoon Hotel and this was our second time. I chose this hotel because of its location, walking distance to the action scene, restaurants, shops, etc and quite enough to have a good sleep at night. The beach right in front of the hotel is not good for swimming as it has a low tide but you have the option of taking the hotel shuttle to their other hotel "The Beachcomber" whose beach is nice for a swim. I just had the bad luck of being hit in the face by the umbrella stick when it became windy. I was lying with closed eyes and suddenly I felt the stick of the umbrella falling over my face and so I had two bruises one on my forehead and the other on the nose. I was lucky it did not hit any of my eyes. I would advise the hotel owner/manager to get new umbrellas as they are quite old and the sticks look rusty. I am glad I had been vaccinated against tetanus before I left for the trip. The hotel staff took me to the hospital and paid for the consultation but at the end of my stay I was presented with the hospital's bill together with the hotel bill and although I was not in agreement that I should pay for the accident, I did. They insisted that I pay the bill and then claim it from my insurance. Otherwise the staff were very nice and helpful. I also had a nice Aloe Vera massage on the gardens of the hotel at a reasonable price as I got sunburnt. The hotel is quite nice although some parts of it need some maintenance. I would just like to suggest not to put music on the bar of the swimming pool at least in the mornings as sometimes one just wants to relax and you already hear music all over the place in Koh Samui from the different restaurants and bars including the jet skis on the beach. I was surprised to see how fast the whole island develops and if it keeps this pace it will just turn into a city by the beach. On the north of the island you have more quiet beaches but you won't have the animated area you have in Chaweng. Fisherman's Village in Bophut has still the charm of a village although it also has a fair amount of restaurants and shops. This is my favourite although the beach is not as nice as Chaweng or Choeng Mon.

Room Tip: We had room 505 and it was well located near the swimming pool and beach.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

we stayed in for one week with our two little daughters (4+6) in a villa pool view. it was great. good room with nice space. great pool. very nice staff who did their best that we will enjoy our stay. great location. very quiet, not in the center but not far from there.

Room Tip: the villa pool view are freat
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here for around 6 nights.
Originally we booked the rooms with a garden view, but we were not satisfied and upgraded to superior rooms in the other side of the building near the reception with extra costs.
The room we had was okay. But looked very old and needing renovation. The bathroom was okay. but the design and colours made it look very old and shabby. The bathroom was constantly out of order, the toilets wouldn't flush, there wasn't any hot water and there were always insects.
However I did find it a pleasurable stay.
The pool and the food was the best of this hotel.
The pool staff O and Shu/Saw (Whatever his name is) are lovely! we became friends after our stay, seeing them everyday whilst sunbathing!~ Shu especially was so cute and very helpful!!
The breakfast was lovely, even though it was low season and there wasn't much customers around the chefs were always making good food!
The cocktails were also lovely.
The location was good because the shops were just down the road, but you have to walk around 10-15minutes to go to the main attractions like the clubs (GREEN MANGO) however the beach that was right out side was NOT NICE!
you had to walk around 15-20minutes along the strip to go to the nicer area of the beach , where you can do watersports like Jet ski etc.
Overrall it was a lovely stay the staff are excellent and the food was tasty!~ will come back again to see my Pool staff friends =)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank bbmuimui
, Manager at Blue Lagoon Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you kindly for your review and we are glad to see you had a nice stay at Chaweng Blue Lagoon Hotel!

Firstly, thank you also for the kind comments regarding our staff (I have passed your regards and your approval of their cocktail-making on to our pool boys) and we will add your opinion to the majority of others that praise our service level and make us proud of our staff.

We’re also glad that you enjoyed the food at the hotel so much, although everything is open to improvement and we’ll soon be introducing a new, better menu.

We are sorry you encountered plumbing issues with our bathrooms. As you probably noticed, we are refurbishing the lobby area (which is why our prices are currently so much lower than other 4-star hotels around us!) and, at the same time, we are replacing the air-conditioning units in the buildings around the renovation area – these are connected to the hot water system in the hotel and some water lines had to be repaired (I personally informed all the guests at breakfast – I think I remember who you are, as we didn’t have so many Londoners staying at the time, and I am fairly sure I also mentioned this to your group). We’re also sorry that the classic marble-granite bathroom design was perhaps too classic for you – however, please be assured that these bathrooms were refurbished less than three years ago.

Unfortunately insects are a common problem all over Thailand – especially in large garden areas like at the Blue Lagoon. We address this through daily room-cleaning, weekly fumigation and, of course, the geckos also help in this respect!

Around the period of the full moon (there is one today, the day after you posted your review), the water in the lagoon at our beachfront is at its lowest and this is perhaps why you weren’t satisfied with our stretch of beach. However, we also mention this on our Web site – that, at low tide, our beach is not suitable for swimming. At high tide however the beach is quite swimmable and the tide is able to wash mangrove and bracken out from the lagoon. Of course, we also offer a free shuttle service to our sister hotel, where the beach is perfect for swimming.

The Village Bungalows that you originally booked do attract some criticism as they are across the road… but this is mentioned on our Web site and we have been as clear as we can be when listing our hotel on Agoda, Expedia, etc.