“Quiet (a bit remote), spacious room, WiFi (fair signal, slow speed)”

Baan Haad Ngam Boutique Resort & Villas
Ranked #34 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Quiet (a bit remote), spacious room, WiFi (fair signal, slow speed)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Pros:
- Quiet (15 min walk / 4 minutes taxi from the center)
- Spacious room
- Free WiFi, fair signal (in bathroom area the signal was too low)
- nice (but small) pool directly at the beach

Cons:
- hotel policy: unregistered guest (even within the paid room occupancy) requires extra charge
If it wasn't for the hotel's policy, I would have rated it 5 of 5, but I do not like greedy hotel policies that intrude guests' privacy while trying make extra money for something that the guest had already paid for.
- Quiet (15 min walk / 4 minutes taxi from the center)
- WiFi speed is slow
- pool is too small for real swimming
- spa is too expensive. Lots of better choices nearby

Room Tip: rooms closer to reception do not have beach view. Only few rooms near the pool have it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Right on Chaweng Beach. Although this is an older resort, the rooms were kept nice and clean and were a good size, it had a good sized bathroom, airconditioned rooms and free wifi. Lovely sea breeze kept it cooler (especially while having breakfast overlooking the beach and sitting by the pool). Free shuttles to shops (although we walked a couple of times - approx 15 mins leisurely walk). Nice and quiet at night. There were shops and eating places nearby if you didn't want to eat at Olivios. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed two nights - first in standard room and second in a bungalow.

The good:
Great staff
Massage at the SPA was wonderful
The Olivia restaurant served good food, but service level below peers.

The not-so-good:
Many stairs and stones to get to the pool and restaurant makes this hotel less friendly for smaller children
Standard rooms are quite sad and ready for an upgrade, bungalows are better but...
Location is quiet, but about 30 minutes walk to the town with all the restaurants.... Chaweng is very busy and not a very charming place.
A lot of mosqitos on the property and in the rooms (more than other hotels in the area).

Summary
There are better options in the area for the same price (check Amari close by)

Room Tip: Bungalows are much better than standard rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank SweMan007
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I did a lot of research before choosing our Koh Samui hotel; there was just so many available and everything looked good...I was searching for something great, within walking distance of the "action", somewhere quiet, with a view, not crazy expensive, and lastly (I didn't want much) a villa with private pool. This is what I found and I was stoked! This place lived up to everything and more. We were lucky enough to say in Villa 8; it was magical, we had a view of the ocean and when we could drag ourselves from our private infinity pool we would sit in the main pool - with the most spectacular view of Chewang Beach. The villa was clean and very spacious, our only niggle is that the coffee machine took about 30 mins to warm up...but seriously I can't complain about that because at least we had a coffee machine!! Breakfast at the hotel was good, the standard you get everywhere, the buffet was fresh and well maintained. The restaurant attached to the hotel, Olivios was also very pleasant and provided a day of meals for my partner when I was struck down with Novo and couldn't leave the room! The staff were all very lovely and spoke English better than we've found at other places. We were always greeted with a big smile and treated with the utmost respect. The fella who runs the attached travel place is a real gem, he goes out of his way to help you - he is definitely the nicest person we have met in Thailand and we thank him for all his assistance (best seats at the Muay Thai thank you!!!). The hotel is only ten minutes walk to incredible restaurants like Red Snapper, Prego, Top Ten and The Larder. Do yourself a favour, give this smaller hotel a try; they really do think of all the smaller details that makes your stay luxurious yet a home away from home. If you can book a pool villa, it is certainly worth every cent. My one tip, pack the mozzie repellant because the sand flies can get bad; we only experienced this once though in the 6 days. If we stay in Chaweng again I will certainly stay here.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Franjapanni
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

The private pool villa we had for the week was amazing. This was one of the nicest hotels I stayed in during my visit to Thailand. Great staff as well. Very helpful! I will for sure book this hotel again next time I visit the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Lovely boutique hotel with convenient location at Chaweng beach. You can walk to the town either by the beach front or past the shops. Otherwise, the hotel provides a free shuttle to town several times a day.
There were a few nice touches, like a complementary massage, fruit platter and towels folded into the shape of an elephant. The staff were also very accommodating, with one of them waiting up for us till 11 pm to help sort out our bills.
The food there is ok and drinks reasonably priced.
There are many other hotels, restaurants and bars just a few minutes walk down the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Phuket, Phuket, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I tried to book a Pool Villa at this hotel (I stayed there on my first trip to Samui maybe 10 to 12 years ago, and loved the place). The web site said there was a promotional price of 6,350 baht a night, stay 4 nights and pay for 3. However, the booking system wanted to charge 25,400 baht instead of 19,050 so I rang the hotel and was told this was the price for 1 person even though the web site said it was for 2. They said they would email me, and I asked them to hold the room for me until we resolved the pricing issue.

The next day I had not received an email so I called again, I confirmed my email address again and then an email did arrive. I cut and pasted the offer from the web site and sent it back, and received a reply that this was the average pice for 4 nights, which is not what the web site said. I finally relented and agreed to pay the increased price as I thought it was still good value. But was then told that they had taken a booking over night and were now full on the dates I requested. They suggested that I change my holiday plans to a date when they were not full, which is clearly not a viable option.

I am very disappointed.