“expected better.”
Review of Amari Koh Samui

Amari Koh Samui
Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed January 14, 2013

on honeymoon. arrived and was shown to room which was on the other side of the road to the beach. thought this was strange as didnt realise the hotel was split. on beach side there were only standard rooms (tiny) and the best rooms which were about 5 times the price. our room was one up from standard and was still small. i would recommend for family but not couples. so noisy with kids everywhere. ate in hotel one night and it all went wrong, brought at wrong meal, had to wait ages for the right meal, wine was poor.

STAFF IN HOTEL ARE MAINLY POOR. when having evening meal next to beach they were shouting across to eachother at the top of their voice. every other night they set up bbq at about 3.30pm and make you get off your sun lounger and move. they bang around when setting it up, shouting at eachother again and banging your sun lounger. they could easily set up on terrace area. the hotel is not that clean really either. beach is bit poor also. overall i would stay in different pat of samui or just got to koh tao.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank matthew7777777
Write a ReviewReviews (2,636)

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Family of 5 and stayed for 6 nights over New Year's Eve. We chose this for the family deluxe bungalows.

Good things to say about this hotel is that the setting is nice compared to all other hotels on this stretch of beach in Chaweng. But keep in mind that Chaweng is full of low and bottom end resorts. The food and drinks are good, the pool area and restaurant is nice. You will get a nicer hotel for this price further away from Chaweng, so that is the trade off.

There was a dinner and New Years celebration organized by the Hotel that you had to pay for and that we attended. The event got delayed by 2 hours due to lack of contingency planning by staff due to rain and wind. As guests were not notified of delay, they gathered in lobby and waited. We did not get offered drinks while we waited and people with small children did not even get offered water. The event turned out ok at the end of the evening but but bad management irritated many and we saw guests leave.

Internet wifi in room did not work for 2 days and when it worked it was very slow.

Last 2 days of stay our room filled with the smell of smoke during the night and our clothes smelled of smoke as we left the hotel.

Rooms are ok, but not well maintained. Noisy fan and blown lightbulbs should not be in a hotel in this price range.

Asked front desk for a wake up call on day of departure and they never called my room.

So for this price you are not getting the quality of service you can get elsewhere, however it's close to Chaweng and the setting is relatively nice, food and drinks good.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank A V
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We love the Amari Reef...just returned from our second visit and plan to return next year! From the sumptuous breakfast buffet to daily massages(an absolute must!) on the beach to wonderful romantic dinners, especially at Tree Tops and Prego...to the lovely swimming pool (kept very clean and lots of loungers and good service) to frolicking in the warm waves of the China Sea several times a day...to a room which was thoroughly cleaned and ready for us after breakfast and readily supplied with extra sundries as well as a fruit tray delivered in the afternoon...and so much more! We left at 4:30am for a 6:00 flight for Bangkok and no problem with the taxi arriving on time with very good service provided! We found the staff courteous, friendly, always smiling and ready to help in any way possible! Already counting the days...

Room Tip: We always stay on the beach side...and prefer a corner room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tamsin1
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The only thing that warrants Amari Palm Reef to charge the rates they do is their close proximity to the airport and Chaweng. Rooms, facilities, pool and beach a real let down compared to other resorts charging similar prices. The bathroom is ridiculously small. The pool area is overcrowded with families with small kids. It felt like a kindergarten around the pool. The beach is extremely narrow with no real view. Thank goodness we only stayed one night

Room Tip: Rooms at pool have views where rooms across the road has no view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Second time at the Amari and enjoyed my stay however definitely noticed a drop in service. Was not my first choice of Hotels however; was in Samui for New years and there was little accommodation. Stayed for 8 nights in a deluxe suite overlooking the Pool. The rate included free Wi-Fi and complimentary 45 Minute Foot Massage for two plus 2 items of laundry per day I think.

The catch with this Hotel is the location, is close enough to the Chaweng night life yet far away that it is quiet so is ideal for those that want a peaceful resort. Hotel is quite large and split in two halves with a mix of Superior, and suites on the beach side and across the road away from the beach on the Garden side. Watch this when you book because you may find your room is not the one you thought you booked and can be at the front of the resort where the rooms are smaller and nosier.

Hotel Facilities - The Hotel surrounds are well maintained with lush gardens and beautifully appointed architecture. The Deluxe rooms are spacious and very well maintained; A small fridge, couch, balcony and large bathroom. Soap products were of reasonable quality however they were not stocked daily only if there were nil visible in the shower etc which I thought was a little odd for a 4.5 Star Resort. King size bed was comfortable and had firm pillows again an important element to any hotel stay. Bathroom was rather small and had shower and bath although it was tiny and I did not use this.

Dining – Several options at the resort (See Below) but there so many options elsewhere so just follow your nose. There are also numerous dining options along the beach but due to high tides most were not serving buffets at night. Resort has beach buffets on certain evenings both Thai and Seafood well priced, great food and lovely ambience so keep an eye out for them but again due to tidal conditions and weather (late rainy season) I did not see the buffet at all. Did however find the food quality at pool very average and buffet so so. Lengthy delays to get it and often overcooked or undercooked. Not sure what the go was as last time i found the food very nice but noticed a definate dlip in qulaity this time

Amari Dining Options
Merante - on the beach side of the resort serving Thai and international favorites.
Bar@C - serves light snacks and has happy hour 18:00-21;00 daily.
Prego - Italian restaurant and probably best on the Island,
Beach Bar - Set in the garden adjacent to the Pool on the Beach side
Buffet breakfast - Not as good as last time by a long way. Food was never hot and appearance not very good but there are lots of options. This is on the Beach side of the resort and takes 5 minutes to walk. Did not bother me but I could see this being a real problem for some elderly or those not so able bodied..Not a biggy but is worth a mentioning

Recreation facilities – Two lovely Pools on both sides of the resort, both large with plenty of deck chairs and not too crowded. I spent most of my time at the rear pool until I realized the way the food system works…As I trained most mornings I enjoyed having my lunch at the pool but oddly enough the rear pool only serves food from Prego so if you don’t like Italian you will need to swim at the other pool..Go figure, I was not aware of this until I went to the beach side Pool and ordered some food only to receive a different menu. I asked the question why different and of course then was told there are two different menus for either pool ok I get it now...
Also found the pool seating very frustrating. Pool staff needs to pay more attention to person/s that put down towels and then leave for extended periods. Some people put their towels down early am and left for breakfast etc making it near impossible to find a seat, this annoyed me to no end and mostly rude Europeans and Poms with little respect for others!!. There should be a limit to the time a sun bed can be left unattended.

The hotel gym was simple but basic with 1 'Multi Station' gym and some free weights and cardio machines. I did not use this but instead used the gym and the SuperPro Muay Thai gym that I frequented daily. There are also several other gyms in Chaweng, ‘World Gym’ on the ring road near the Tesco, ‘Into Fitness’ on Choeng Mon Beach and there is also another right near the Hotel on Haad Chaweng 4 maybe 10 mins walk from Hotel not sure of the name but passed it many times on the scooter
Resort Spa is very good and was well priced during my visit due to low season so most packages were 25% off. I used the complimentary foot massage coupons of course plus had a men’s package and was very good!

Transport/Parking/Laundry – I hired a scooter for my duration (200 THB/Day) from shop 3 doors and parked in the Resort. You can also hire Scooters through the Resort but the Lady told me she actually supplies the resort so I saved some $$ and hired direct through her. If a Scooter is not your cup of tea (Driving here is interesting to say the least) there are many other options for transport, (shuttles, taxis, scooter taxis etc for next to no cost. The Hotel is very close to the busiest part of Chaweng bars and clubs 5-10 min easy walk, so you do not really need transport. Lady who hires the scooters also runs a Laundry business THB 60/ 1Kg loads you can’t go wrong. I washed socks and stuff in my bathroom with liquid detergent but always gave my dress clothes and training tops etc to her. Drop off by 9am and collect by 6pm easy.
Transfer was hassle free and quick (No more than 10-15mins from the airport to the hotel) I heard people complaining about the Air traffic sure you could hear the odd plane now and then but did not bother me

The only negative comment I could make was with the food quality at the pools and the buffet brakfast. Also pool side service in general. In most cases it does not exist and you need to chase down the dude each time you want a drink or a meal. Other negative for me was of course the Pool lounges left unoccupied with towels on them waiting for person/s to return.

All in all I enjoyed my stay here but I just felt the service was not as good this time nor was it as good as other similar rated Hotels on the Island that I have stayed at previously so will most probably stay elsewhere next time. However in saying that, for couples and families (Yes this is a family oriented Hotel) wanting a very nice resort with everything you need in a great location then this place is a great choice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Derek1971
Reviewed January 8, 2013

we stayed here for 6 nights over the New Year. Probably one of hte better places to stay in a quieter location in this resort. Nothing to do with the hotel, but this resort was over commercialised and is like Magaluf, San Antonio and other such busy places and could almost be anywhere else in the world. It is not a true reflection of the Island. The positives: Good location for the resort, large rooms, free wifi. Lovely gardens and pool areas looked nice. Breakfast had a good choice, but does became the same after a few days as it doesn't change and if you go down towards the end it's not replenished
Not so good, the generator and the timing of it. Power cut off between 6 and 8 pm every night, just when you are getting changed for the evening. Generally not enough staff, particularly around the garden pool side. One poor man had to deal with providing all the food and drink and as a result got a lot of grief! Pool side towels grubby and not not white! Never once saw the pool being cleaned. The compulsary gala dinner was a shambles. To be fair this was probably a management decision and not the general staff, but they tried to hang on and do it outside, but the torrential rain meant this wasn't possible. (We knew from the forecast the week before that it was going to rain, so they must have) It was expensive and although nice, the food was stone cold. We didn't have a table and were eventually put in the corner and it was too crowded. The staff did their best, but it was poor. I wouldn't have been happy with the cost even if it had been better organised. I did complain and although I had a delayed follow up to the complaint the new German assistant manager was lovely, she listened to our complaint and accpeted with grace the comments. We were given our room on the last day until our late departure and were very grateful for this. However, we were hassled by room service to vacate the room 3 times which annoyed us and felt then we didn't get the necessary compensation for the poor New Year debacle. I think part of the problem with Koh Samui in general is that rooms are much more expensive than Bangkok and they provide a lesser service, so if you stay in Bangkok on the way to this destination, you make comparisons and feel short changed here. We paid a lot less to stay in the most amazing hotel in Bangkok and had felt really short changed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 471sally
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights at Amari and enjoyed every second of our stay! The resort is really neat and tidy and has a really tropical feel to it with the well-groomed gardens. The rooms are very comfortable and offers everything that a family would need for a weeks holiday. The breakfasts were well organised and offered pretty much anything, with all the food being fresh and tasty. The service stood out for me the most as we stayed for New Years and with all the rain we had, the staff managed to pull off a great new years eve buffet and party! This is definitely "the" resort to stay at when visiting Koh Samui as it is in the perfect location (restaurants, bars/clubs etc). Thans, Amari :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family