“Good shirts, average suit, rip-off at mail order” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Timmy's Masschneider Tailor

Timmy's Masschneider Tailor
Ranked #1 of 18 Shopping in Chaweng
More attraction details
Owner description: FREE PICK UP FROM YOUR HOTEL - CONTACT US DIRECTLY, CALL US. Established since 1984, we pride ourself in being one of the leading custom tailor shops in Koh Samui.We specialize in making clothes for both men and woman such as suits, dresses, shirts, tuxedos etc in the best quality fabric such as cashmere, thai silk, linen, wool, for all occasions.Our team consists of dedicated, experienced professionals who understand the customers need.We provide customers with high quality tailor made clothes that suit their taste. Years of experience, strong base of repeat customers, professional service, quality workmanship and reasonable pricesmake us one of the leaders in bespoke clothes. Our Thai tailors provide high quality craftsmanship day in day out, compared to the best. Our range of materials allows us to design and prepare, hand crafted tailored garments using the finest fabrics for every occasion.We speak ENGLISH, GERMAN, THAI.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Good shirts, average suit, rip-off at mail order”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I got tons of shirts with regular and french cuffs and they are all OK. Very long which is very comfortable. The seams on the back for the silhouette are not perfect but totally fine for a business suit. Typical thailand fabric, not too good, not too bad. Worth the money. I got a discount for 5 shirts and multiples of that.

The made suit is average and OK. A bit too lose, I requested the vest to be made a bit tighter in the final fitting and they told me they do so but when they delivered it I hardly felt any difference. Well.. still comfortable.

Time itself was not a problem, the shirts and a suit were done within 4 or 5 days with 3 fittings. As always: they try to get to know your leaving date, I think they just want to do the delivery on the evening before that you can't complain if something is not right. I lied about my leaving date and preponed it for 2 days.

Personal: The owner does nearly nothing, his cousin (??) supervises the fittings of the thai tailor, communicates with him and handles all the business stuff.

But, and therefore only a poor rating in overall as I think a business relationship and a rating of a business does not end after you get your stuff, instead it also should cover the following communication and requests you have when you are back home (as other asian tailors do): there is a huge ripoff when you try to order online. 5 Shirts were THB 900 each in Thailand, shipping to Europe was offered me at the ridiculous amount of THB 8'000 shipped.
As a comparison: 5 shirts weight a little less than 2kg which would make shipping costs with Thai Post Airmail about THB 1'200. Still makes a plus on the regular profit of THB 2'300 which is roughly a 50% plus on one shirt compared to the price sold on Koh Samui. Without doing any more fittings, just a plain cut-and-sew job. Sorry, won't happen and I hope nobody falls for this and orders anything.

Initially I thought about the obvious bargain-game from thailand and wrote the owner that I don't quite understand the price (hoping he reduces it to something acceptable). Well... he didn't. Told something about a service fee from paypal (which is about 2 to 3 percent as everybody knows who offers paypal on ebay offers) and that that is just the price.

So: rip off. A total rip off. I won't buy there online because shirts in Switzerland are just a bit more expensive and offer better fabrics.

If you buy there: shirts are just fine, suits are probably better when you do 5 fittings or more and don't use the mail order service if the price is - compared to what you paid there - too high.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Lars842
TimmySamui, Owner at Timmy's Masschneider Tailor, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Customer
Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction in matters concerning the clothes about the online price order quotation.

Concerning your clothes made at our shop:
Like all our customers we give various fittings and try our best to deliver the products to their satisfaction. At the time of the final fitting you have the opportunity to let us know about any concern about the clothes, so that we can fix it as per your liking. We presume you were satisfied with the clothes and hence you paid and collected your clothes.

Further we have received email from you dated 16 Jan 2013 after your visit to us in Koh Samui in which you clearly state the following
“I was at your place at the end of December and orderer a suit plus a lot of shirts. Both are excellent and I want to order some more, initially white shirts……..”

On this trip advisor forum post you also mention the shirts are ok and worth the money. The suits are average but ok and are still comfortable.

We wished if you would have given us the exact date of departure then we could have arranged for more fittings if needed. In most other cases three fittings seem to be absolutely fine.

Online order for shirts:
Our prices for online shopping are more dear then the prices we can offer at the shop. We need to take into consideration cost associated with postage, custom duty, paypal fee and in very rare cases abnormal cost if the product has to be altered here in Thailand as no fittings can be provided on online orders.

On your request we offered you a price and you have the option of accepting it or declining. There is no compulsion on our part. The prices that you receive in our store in Samui are the best we could offer and will always be cheaper then online orders.

We do not overcharge people and believe in bargaining policy as you must have read from various other customers on the forum. Our other customers have been ordering online products in the past and they seem to be content about the price.

Once again we would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions it only helps us get better each day and there is always room for improvement. If you need any more clarifications please feel free to write to us in English, contact me via Skype or phone.

Best Regards
Timmy

• Hebrew first
“Timmy's Tailor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Recently, I was recommended by friends and family back in Australia to get a tailored suit from Thailand. Initially, I was a tad skeptical about the whole thing.

However after doing some extensive research on tailors in Thailand, particular Koh Samui where I was staying for 10 days, I came across a lot of talk on trip advisor about Timmy's tailor in Chaweng. I decided that I would take the plunge and go and checkout Timmy's.
Unlike a lot of the tailored shops on Samui, who try to get you into their shop, Timmy's are not like that at all. You have to physically open the door and walk in.

There I was met by a friendly chap named Ash. I explained to Ash that I was looking for a suit and maybe getting some shirts.
Immediately, Ash showed me all different fabrics and explained the different styles and cuts they make to your needs. After choosing my shirts, I decided that I would get a suit that was 80% cashmere. Impressed by the fabrics I got a second suit tailored. I also got a jacket as well.
The service provided by Ash and Timmy was superb, the final product exceeded my expectations.

I believe the price was very good, for 5 shirts, 2 suits and a jacket I paid 25,000 BHT.
This is about $850 AUD, normally a cashmere tailored suit in Australia would cost about $1500.
A winter jacket tailored, is about $1,000 in Australia.

I would really encourage anyone to visit Timmy's and check it out. I was very happy with what I got and will be back towards the end of Dec 2013.
Both Ash and Timmy are friendly and providing wonderful customer service.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent tailor in Chaewang”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I bought nearly 20 shirts from his shop in January 2013. The quality was excellent, the price was good, but best of all was his advice. I wanted something a bit different but not over the top. Timmy would said he would make whatever I wanted, but gave sound advice saying you can't have that colour collar with that colour shirt, it would look better with these buttons etc etc. Highly recommended.

Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best tailor ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I went to Timmy's for the first time in Jan 2010 to get a suit and a dress shirt. About a year later, ordered 1 suit and 2 more shirts remotely. Now, when I was in Samui, I got my 3rd suit and 2 more dress shirts. I was thrilled to notice he remembered me, even though I've only visited once and that was 3 years ago.

The suits are brilliantly made and the service from Timmy himself is just magnificent. He may be busy, but he always finds time to chat with customers too. Granted, the price is higher than average, but so is the value. I would easily pay double the price for the service and quality.

They keep the latest measurements (i.e. the measurements after the modifications made during fittings) so that you can order them abroad later. That's what I'm going to do.

Honestly, skip the greasy men on the street and head to Timmy's. You won't regret it.

Sydney, Australia
“Best Tailor Experiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

My experiance at Timmys was fantastic and I will be ordering all of my business clothes from him now on.

Take it from a young Aussie guy who is used to paying stupid money for off the rack clothes. This guy knows his stuff.

While on my honeymoon December 2012, My wife and I found ourselves in Koh Samui. (Best part of our entire Thailand Trip). We stayed at the Centara Grand which is about a 3 min walk up to Timmy's. I knew I wanted to get some suits made for work, but there was not alot of info to go off on Trip advisor regarding tailors in KohSamui and if you walk the streets for 5 min you will see a different tailor every 50 meters.
I decided to Try Timmys because it was so close.
I walked in and was imediatley greetedwith a smile and a cold drink. Timmy and his brother in law seemed genuine and not pushy at all. Still weary I only asked for 3 pairs of pants and 3 shirts. They let me pick the fabrics and measured me up. I came back the next day with a rough version of one pair of pants and shirt. I was verry happy. so happy with the rough version that I then changed my order to
5x Shirts
5x Pants and 1x Tuxedo.

My wife said she didnt want anything but after she came in with me for my last fitting she couldnt help but go through the magazines on the waiting tabel. she picked a dress design and asked Timmy if he could make it. His answer was "of course". My wife ended up getting
3 x linon dresses
1 x Suit
3 x Skirts
1 x Blouse

We were so happy with Timmy. He is a smart business man and a genuine person.

Thanks alot Timmy.