“Cute little bungalows”

Chalala Samui Resort
Ranked #1 of 68 Chaweng B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights as the 2nd stage of our Island hopping, bungalows are well sized and have free wifi and cable Tv there was always hot water though the shower was non adjustable so you really needed to take it off the wall and hold it, rooms cleaned daily, staffs English was quite limited apart from the manager who was very helpful. 15 minute stroll into the center of Chewang beach with a 7/11 opposite. Hotel is right on the beachfront but its taken up with tables and chairs, there is no beds so you have to pay for them from other hotels. Food at the hotel is fine not outstanding but still good, the swimming pool is small but clean and has adequate sunbeds, well it did during our stay as the monsoon hit about 6 weeks early and all it did apart from one day was rain and I mean rain. Would not hesitate to suggest this hotel to anyone coming to Koh Samui, its not posh but then again it is not posh prices. Found Koh Samui to be incredibly expensive, its 8 years since I was last here and although I appreciate that the £££ is weak at the moment I think £150 each for a 3 hour quad bike trip/ £9 for a box of paracetomol/ and approx £40-£50 for a decent meal (without alcohol) to be rather expensive for an Island that still attracts backpackers

Room Tip: Rooms all ok
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Although this hotel is right on the beach it is not the place to stay if you want to lay on the beach .... the resturant table and chairs are right to the waters edge and the sea is not very inviting a bit dirty looking.
The hotel grounds are kept clean and the swimming pool is sparkling.
Our bed was a mattress was on the floor and by the end of our stay our backs were begining to feel it, if suffering from bad hips on knees this could have caused a problem getting up and down.
Although in Chaweng there was no night noise and a peaceful resort within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants, bars and night life.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carbut
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Feb 2013 marks our second visit to this family friendly and affordable resort in Koh Samui. We were here in July 2012. A warm welcome from Jazz at the reception, she remembers our family. Our bungalow was the same one right next to the swimming pool as we had requested. Everyday housekeeping cleans the room, bottled water and fresh towels are provided. The whole resort is well maintained and clean. The restaurant served very nice thai cuisine and snacks at reasonable prices. Our children always had ice cream after main course. And the massages by the beach are the best and most relaxing we have experienced! Again they could remember our family. Just outside the resort are the 7-11, family mart, laundrette and pharmacy. Chaweng town is just 10 minutes walk away and in the evenings we'll have a stroll by the beach and then have our dinner. A very good, relaxing & affordable place to stay with family who are just looking for a cozy place. We paid CHF100 per night and that's within our budget. We would definately come back again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank findlaters
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Staff were excellent, the bungalows were basic, but very comfortable. You are literally meters from the beach. Grounds are well kept and clean. Pool is nice. Only had a couple of snacks from the restaurant, but enjoyed them. Its a very cute, relaxing place to stay. 10 minutes walk by road or beach to the busy resort, a perfect location. Quiet, but close enough to the action. For the £50 per night we paid for 5 nights in peak season over Christmas, we were more than happy. We wouldnt hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2013

unique design and comfy family bungalow, amenities provided, clean mini pool, with public beach, delicious food at the cafe, cheap and nice massage right on the beach, 7-11, family mart, pharmacies right opposite the resort, walking distance to crowded town, away from crowded area it's good for relaxing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Zhingwei
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Chalala was much better than I had anticipated. I loved my time there. Jaz is a sweetheart and so incredibly helpful. I found all the staff to be really friendly and welcoming. I had a lovely superior bungalow which was really very roomy. At first it looked so quirky but the next day when I woke up and sat on my terrace surrounded by a little jungle of beautiful trees and flowers it was my kind of quirky and I felt so at home there. I didn't know what to expect and only booked for 8 days and unfortunately when I tried to extend for a further week it was already booked. I would absolutely recommend and should I ever come back this way, that's where I'd stay.

Room Tip: My superior bungalow close to the ocean I think was the best. Far more spacious, very light and with...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank savannah_8
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Is this the worst hotel in Thailand? It might just be.

Tripadvisor and its reviews have never let me down in ten years of travel, so when it came to booking my honeymoon I checked avidly as usual, and was delighted to find a hotel with decent reviews and an affordable price. Against my better judgement I ignored the 2 star rating and went with the plaudits below. What a mistake it was.

We arrived at the Chalala early evening and proceeded to our room. This is basic with a capital B - but thinking we would spend little time in the room we set our stuff down and proceeded to the "restaurant" for some much needed food after a long days travelling. Service was slow as the staff seemed more interested in larking about, but we patiently waited for our food. My wife choose Pad gra pow (with free e coli) whilst I went for Larb Gai (with free salmonella). It tasted bad and the effects on our system would be even worse. We paid the bill and headed back to the what would become known as the room of death with increasingly sore stomachs.

By this stage both of us needed the toilet rather urgently as the Chalala cuisine rushed to leave our system a much quicker than it entered it. However after just one use of the loo it overflowed with raw sewage across the room, lovely. Simultaneously I discovered the air con didn't work, tv didn't work, there was no hot water and there was an ant/mosquito infestation. At this point we got the "management" involved and bad was quickly to turn to worse. She informed us "number 1s you go shower, and number 2 you go beach toilet" - not really what we wanted to hear as our bodies fought off the horror her chef had inflicted on us. She refused to fix anything until the next day.

What followed was the worst night of my life. With the shower room covered in faeces we made regular trips to the beach to defecate and then back to the insect ridden, un-air conditioned room to lie down before repeating. By the time morning came round a transfer to prison seemed preferable. We spent all morning trying to get something done but the management wasn't there and the girl on reception could do nothing. Alas after just 1 night in this prison we packed up and headed to a different hotel.

On returning to the hotel to get my remaining days refunded Chalala hit a new low. Rather than apologise I was sworn at and challenged to a fist fight by the now irate boss - he felt it was rude of me to have left. "you want 5* you buy, this 2*. Im still waiting on my refund.

You've been warned - the only things that worse than the rooms and food is the aggression of the staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple