“Worst Guesthouse in the seediest area!”

Moby Dick Guesthouse
Moby Dick Guesthouse
Ranked #26 of 65 Chaweng B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Worst Guesthouse in the seediest area!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

3 girls travelling around Thailand, were used to hostels but this was the most expensive place we stayed and the worst.
Although it was only £24 for 3 of us per night it was still the most expensive place we stayed.
Read reviews before about the music and it didn't bother us because we were playing on going out and getting back early hours anyway, but on days when we were doing trips and had to be up at 7am was a nightmare.
The nightclub situated directly next to our room didn't stop til 6am and it was so loud our mirror and windows were shaking. We were greeted by dirty sheets and towels and hairs left in the bed from the previous person, so room clearly were not cleaned and bitten by bed bugs multiple times. Stale wee under the toilet seat and a used condom left on the balcony, so we were left with the happy memories of the person last in the room! Also, it didn't bother us as much as the cleanliness of the hotel but it was (unknowingly to us, until our friend showed us the 'seedy area') situated right in amongst the dodgy bars, but go in the next street and you've got Green Mango! Other than that room are basic, if they were clean and the club next door stopped paying their music at about 3 it would be fine, but worst experience we had in Thailand.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank xesiuol

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

It's cheap and you get what you pay for. Staff was friendly enough when we asked to change to an air con room. Though the room we got changed to balcony door wouldn't shut which did make us (as 2 girls) feel rather unsafe. saying this we reported it to the night staff and it was fixed the next day.
Room was clean and that's all we wanted from a 3 night stay.
Yes it is loud both from the club next door and the airport traffic but this is not the hotels fault. And to be honest we were so tired when we got in we fell right asleep.
I would recommend this to backpackers on a budget who will be out partying until late. Anyone else this isn't for you.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very good food and helpful staff would do anything that was needed sun cream money changed trips booked all in all best irish pub in the world including ireland And great food staff the best of fun Conor Peter Jason Larry peter

• Stayed September 2013
Tamworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Wow - I consider myself young and I listen to loud music but this is something else! In all honesty we booked this to be close the airport for an early transfer the next day - this isnt what Moby Dick was built for! If you are looking for a central hotel were you can party all night and sleep all day you would struggle to find somewhere better value with such clean rooms and friendly staff - however if you are looking to sleep at night then avoid at all costs. It doenst seem to bad when you arrive but when midnight passes the music just gets louder and louder. This isnt Moby Dicks music - this is the surrounding bars, an issue I am sure the hotel struggles to manage. Sorry guys - but this isnt a hotel its a daytime crash pad.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Having a substantial amount of US dollars stolen from my room was far from ideal; the perpetrator being a member of staff from this place.
I had to compromise on price, thus overlooking the repugnant bar girls they have to offer, coupled with a club next door playing music until 6am.
Had a great little disco in and around Chaweng, but I wouldn't stay in this gaff again. Full of thieving little Thais!

• Stayed December 2012
tuulakohsamui, Owner at Moby Dick Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I am sad to read this review about our guesthouse. Managment was not contacted by you about this matter money gone missing from your room. I would have liked to look into this matter personally to try to find out who had entered your room. We have free safetyboxes and lockers for customers to put their valuables. My staff are not "little thiefing thais". Most of our staff have been working with us many years. And yes, it is noisy around the guesthouse because we are located in the centre of the busiest night time entertainment area in Koh Samui. I hope you had nicer time for the rest of your holidays in Thailand.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

For young travellers who want a great located hotel and a good standard of rooms, this is where you need to stay! As a traveller, I have paid for and stayed in some pretty awful places. It's place made me feel as if I was on holiday. A table and chairs in our room was brilliant along with a fridge and storage area for our clothes. The bathroom was fine, trust me I've been in a lot worse. Shower was good pressure and enough room to wash. Bed was a little soft but ive travelled all over Vietnam in a sleeper bus so an form of bed is bliss for me! All nice and clean, no problems with the room, maybe a full length mirror could be good? But not a problem at all :)
Granted, you wouldn't want to stay here unless you like to party, I stayed here over New Years and it was excellent. Right next to all the clubs so we could roll in and out when ever we wanted.
The music is loud yes, but nothing headphones or another drink can't help!
The owners were also lovely :) helpful and cheery. The thai people who worked there were also lovely and smiley which does make a difference!
Great place for party go'ers or just generally fun people!

Room Tip: Book in advance!! That's what saved us.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
tuulakohsamui, Owner at Moby Dick Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you ever so much for such a nice review. It makes me happy that some people take their time to write nice things about our guesthouse. We are located in the noisy night time entertainment area and we can't change that. But this is the right place if you want to party!! Thank you very much!! I wish you all the best where ever you are now!! Tuula Fitzpatrick and my staff
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I'm a 27 year old single male, I go to Thailand with the boys to take a much needed break from the stresses of work and let my hair down. I like to excessively drink, I like to party until the sun comes up and most days I'm getting out of bed as the sun is going down.. If that sounds like you then look no further than the moby dick! It's smack bang on soi green mango so in the heart of chawengs action and next to one of the biggest clubs on the island. Music is banging until at least 6am so don't think you're getting a good nights sleep unless you've passed out drunk or you're leaving the club as it closes!

As for the hotel itself, I'd say cheap and cheerful.. Don't expect the ritz but its clean and comfortable, air con, fridge, warm water and satellite tv for around 600bhat a night, bargain! A tip, if the rooms at the very top floor are free ask for these, they're bigger and there's a massive balcony area good for chilling out on!

The staff are absolutely amazing, from the owners right through to the cleaners.. So welcoming and accommodating and a good laugh. The bar area is well stocked and serves food and once you're friendly with them you can put your own music on the sound system and turn the place into your own little rave! They even put on a 21st birthday party for a mate of mines with balloons, cake, BBQ and curries.. Was a memorable night we won't forget (although it was pretty hazy!!)

I have stayed here 4 times now and can't wait to go back when I'm back in Thailand in February!

Thoroughly recommended!