“Worst place on Koh Samui”

Moby Dick Guesthouse
Moby Dick Guesthouse
Ranked #23 of 66 Chaweng B&B and Inns
Chaiyaphum, Thailand
“Worst place on Koh Samui”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The rooms were unclean, the beds uncomfortable and the bathroom stank. There is no lift, so you have to carry your suitcases up lots of stairs. Don't be tempted by the price, because in the long run you will lose out. Surrounded by at least 5 bars there is nonstop club music until 6am. Our room was NEVER cleaned despite several requests.
Lastly, do NOT under ANY circumstance, no matter how desperate you are, book your travel from here. We were sent on a stressful journey that took us on taxis, tuk tuks, boats and buses back to Bangkok. When we got there, however, we found out our group had £600 cash, £200 in travellers' cheques, a passport, a digital camera and an ipad stolen while on the bus.
AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: Don't book here! You'd be better off paying 50 baht more for somewhere away from the noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank H_Hazlehurst
tuulakohsamui, Owner at Moby Dick Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I am very sad to get so bad review from our guesthouse. Since May 2012 things have changed. We have renovated all our rooms (November 2012) and they are lovely and clean, freshly painted, new mattresses and pillows, bedding and towels, new air-condition units and bathrooms are fixed and scrubbed. We are one of the cheapest places to stay in the central Chaweng with a short walking distance to everywhere. Unfortunately we are located in the heart of the night time entertainment area called Green Mango so its noisy. There is several bars and nightclubs around us. We are about 10 minutes walk away from the beach.
I am very sorry that you got robbed in the bus on the way to Bangkok. I will never book tickets from this bus company again. As a tip to everyone who is travelling in bus I would recommend you always to have a small bag with you to carry your valuables close to you and never but anything valuable in to your suitcases (even if you have lock on it).
If i remember right we did book you tickets to go Fullmoon party in Koh Phangan and that worked out ok.
I am very sorry you had so bad time in our guesthouse. All the best, Tuula and staff from Moby Dick Guesthouse

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
UK
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Our first impression of this room was somewhat disappointing. The tv was faulty, the fridge had ants living in it, the electrical sockets hung of the wall, the bathroom door wouldn't close or lock properly, and then we found a used condom wrapper on the floor. A quick check under the bed revealed that the method of cleaning is just to sweep everything under there. The sheets and towels were stained, though we think washed!

Then at night it turns out you're next door to the latest opening, loudest club in town, and the sound insulation is poor, so even earplugs probably wont do the trick.

Believe it or not, you can kind of live with all this, and if you're in Chaweng to party, and want cheap accomodation, this place would do the trick. Otherwise, its a no go.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mat_Nicholas

Travelers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Ok rooms at decent rates which cater for the backpacker on a budget. However, the noise at night is loud! We both had ear plugs and could still hear the bass thumping through our ears!

Would also add that we went for a air con room (600 baht), as these rooms were on the floor above the pub and had access to the WiFi router (positioned in the bar), I would not recommend doing this - the WiFi is the worst I have ever used - off more times than it's on and when it did work it was slow!

In summary, good place to stay if you want no frills place, perfect if you plan on going out at night and sleep in the day! Hotel is located nearby all local bars and clubs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My freind had stayed at this hotel for five times previous years and always adviced it. It is not the ritz but it has everything you want from in thailand, aircondiditoing and chang when ever you want it plus food. The staff are amazing the bar girls are amazing. If you want to sleep at night dont stay here as there a night club next door and music gets played untill early hours of the morning. But I had a blast there. I had my 21st Birthday there and they threw me a party and it was superb, everybody had a great time! definitely stay here if you want a party thai exsperience!!

Room Tip: There is rooms on top floor which i advice to take they are a bit more exspensive but worht it
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Callum G
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Room itself was ok, had air conditioning and tv. However staff were very unhelpful, and we had hardly any sleep as there was loud music until about 6am. Don't stay there unless you would be out partying all night!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the road - it might be quieter!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Helsinki
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The guesthouse is in central of chaweng where the best nightclubs and pubs are. Good location. Short distance to the beach and Chaweng mainroad shops.
Room was airconned and had bathroom, balcony, TV, fridge. It was cheap (600baths) and clean.
Downstairs is restaurant and pub. Good breakfast, good food and good beer. Not expensive at all. There is also 3 excelent pool tables. I watched also lots of football from the big screen there is.
Very nice, happy and helpful staff. I had a good time there and i'm definetly going back. there!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed here for a night in June 2006. It was one of the worst night's sleep I've ever had. In fact I don't think I even slept. I ended up getting up again and going back out.

The "hotel" - it's actually more of a hostel, I don't recall a reception even - is right smack bang in the middle of all the bars at 'Green Mango', so music blasts right through the night. The rooms were very basic. Bedding was crap, tele was crap, I don't recall having a bathroom, it must have been pokey if we did, and I recall there being spiders climbing the walls as well.

If you're just looking for somewhere to stash your bags for the day and go out, this is a decent bet, as I think it was about £5/£10 a night to stay there.

There are no facilities that I remember, such as swimming pool or restaurants. I'm pretty sure it's just rooms. Can't even remember there being lifts.

This is getting worse. I'll leave it there!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends