“Great Boutique Hotel”

Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel
Ranked #14 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a great boutique hotel just off the main main road of Chaweng, the beach is literally across the street and a few minutes walk to the hub of the "city". The hotel is clean, comfortable and stylish. It has a beautiful swimming pool and pool bar, pretty court yard where you can have your breakfast/lunch. The rooms are airy and air conditioned with king size beds, clean cotton linen, sliding door to own balcony, spacious bathroom with shower, walk in closet with safe. bar fridge and flat screen TV. Bath robes and slippers were provided along with complimentary bottled water (x 2 daily).
Euro 2012 had just started and we had a room facing a nearby bar, the noise from the bar kept us awake one night and the hotel staff were very accommodating and moved us into rooms away from the noisy area with a smile. All the hotel staff were friendly, helpful and always greeted us with a smile.
We peeped at a decorated bed for a honey moon couple, quite exquisite.
A very special thanks to Lek and Oad who have become our friends and made us feel right at home. The vibe is easy and relaxed, comfortable and pretty. All in all an excellent stay! There was nothing we couldn't ask for. We will be back.

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from the bar across the street during Euro 2012
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beverley B

Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

im almost bummed I booked such a nice room! makes it hard for me to get up and get to the beach, even though it's only a 2-3 min walk.

wait staff is great! the ladies are really sweet, the guys are a bit standoffish with me, but maybe it's bc I'm a female traveling sola- better than the creepy hotel staff in Bangkok, for sure.

may seem petty, but I have the hardest time using the wifi- bad signal and having to log in every 5-10 minutes if I can even connect. I even leave my room to use it bc the signals a bit stronger elsewhere. I feel like I waste a lot of time trying to connect when I would prefer to do quick research and hit the pavement.. or sand.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 20, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pheleo
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Location on beach road but not on the beach (not far). Good location in the beginning (or end) of Chaweng Beach but no connection or views of the sea.

Check in was good with a nice lady. Same lady did the luggage handling coming to the room 5 minutes after I got there. Ladies should not carry bags. As a man you feel embarrassed to have a smallish lady carry your heavy luggage to the room. If I knew I would have carried my own 25kg bag. Plenty of boys around!

Internet. I was given a password but no information that internet wasn't available in my room like promised. After trying for 30min I called reception. They were waiting for a modem and knew about this. Why not tell me that internet was only available in reception/pool area when I got the password? Internet never came back in my room during my entire stay even if I was told the modem was going to be fixed/changed "this afternoon". No follow up, only silence. I'm not sure the staff was perfectly honest with me here.

There was a lady disturbing guests one late afternoon because a commercial booklet (Directory) was being put in each room. A quick knock and then she entered the room with a guest in the bed...me! Why not trust the maids with putting it there while cleaning the rooms? No hurry with that booklet in my opinion.

Breakfast was ok but not more. Service was nice from the young man working there. Good omelet but bad bread. Asked for tea but got coffee (btw good coffee) first morning. Asked for orange juice the second morning but got green kiwi juice (!?). No problem because the young man had a good attitude. I had to ask for a glass of water...not standard? Order style and no buffet. I would not recommend breakfast here if it's not already included in your stay. Find another place with better food, selection and atmosphere.

Pool area is nice and not too hot. Same person doing the breakfast also did the pool service well. No staff around other than him except for a lady trimming the grass with a scissor(!). Great music was played if you are a sucker for love songs and classics like me.

TV channels are few and bad. Only English news channels but not CNN(!) and only one movie channel Lotus Macau (!?). No Universal, Discovery or Animal Planet... like in the rest of Thailand. Not a single sport channel! So no internet or good TV in the room for me...lucky I brought a book.

Maids are good and quick with cleaning but no smiles or good mornings.

Room was nice with tasteful "earth" colors. The whole hotel is nicely designed...but not very Asian/Thai inspired. The hotel is only a year old so all looks brand new! Bed is excellent and so is the shower. Best shower ever I think! Super sleep quality with great pillows and bed linen. Very very cool room even if setting temperature on 27 degree Celsius (highest available temperature). One note about the room I had...I don't know if the guests upstairs were very heavy or walked on their heels but I could hear every single step they took...steps were many and early and actually woke me up and I'm normally a heavy sleeper.

Room service good, quick and value for money. The minibar is limited but reasonable priced.

Last thoughts. If you want a good room, good location at a reasonable rate this can be a good choice. Do you want a room combined with using hotel facilities a lot and other services from the hotel you might be better elsewhere. However most of the issues I had during my stay can quite easily be taken care of if someone have the will to do it. I can also say that I accept a hotel adjusting to low season but basics need to be covered.

Room Tip: Top floor so you don't get disturbed by your upstairs neigbour.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gspot69
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I enjoyed my stay overall.

However there were some drawbacks:

1. the air conditioner in the room was very weak. I set it to 21 degrees Celsius (lowest possible)and the in room thermometer showed that the room temperature is only hovering between 28 and 30 degree celsius. It was rather stuffy. I called the staff to check and they sent the engineer up to check while we were out, 2 days in a row. Still it didn't really got better and we gave up trying.

2. I lost some money which I left in a bag which wasn't locked in the safe. Whoever took it was really smart. Just a few notes (about 4000 THB worth of notes) from a stack. one wont notice unless the stack is counted. I did and I reported the case to Mercure front office. Funny thing was, the first thing they asked was if I placed the money in the safe. I feel that even if I didn't things shouldn't go missing in my room. They said they would check and well, they did and also told me that the report was brought to the attention of the management. I really doubt they can do much about it but I trust that they are a lot more careful in monitoring traffic in and out of our room.

3. Blackout: Happens super often every other hour. The previous hotel I stayed in only had 1 blackout in 3 days! So I think this is too much.

Now for the good things about the hotel.
1. Location - at the start of the lane where the action begins, across the road from the beach. -- It won't make a difference unless I stay in a beachfront room in a beachfront resort.

2. Lovely pool and chill out area. They even have a pool bar which you can swim right to it.

3. Quiet at night, if you stay slightly more towards the north where the party scene is (about 1km away) the noise will be there till 4am.

4. Rather spacious room with a little walk-in wardrobe. Room is newly renovated. Has a nice big flat screen TV. Wifi is provided for free.

5. Bathroom is clean- they will only refill the bathroom toiletries (shampoo, shower gel, conditioner) when it runs out so let them know if you need more. They also provide shower cap, cotton buds, hairdryer, but, bring your own toothbrush and paste.

6. Cheap local food just 2 doors away.

7. Cheap and good massages and Convenience stalls that opens 24/7 also a few doors down.

Room Tip: Make sure the aircon is working well! Samui is really warm.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joannateo
Reviewed April 13, 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DaveDutchTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
OZO Chaweng Samui
#39 of 103 in Chaweng
Centara Villas Samui
Centara Villas Samui
#10 of 62 in Maret

Been to Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel? Share your experiences!