“Incredible traditional Italian and a refreshing escape from the madness of Chaweng”
Review of Duomo

Duomo
Ranked #2 of 183 Restaurants in Chaweng
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Don't expect glamorous surroundings, but to be honest that is one of Duomo's many charms. It is just off the main strip of Chaweng and is a fantastic escape from the touristy madness all around you. It reminds me of the old tratorrias I used to visit growing up as a kid.

The food is impeccable. Traditional Italian without any wank. The homemade pasta was to die for - we had a gorganzola and spinach gnocchi which blew me away. The pizza bases are great, the toppings a bit standard, but the pasta is Duomo's shining light. The house wine is a great quality classic Italian red, which went down so well chilled (yes, red wine chilled is delicious, and very traditionally italian).

The staff were AMAZING. So friendly, attentive and honest.

The prices are also very cheap, a nice change to the tourist driven expensive prices all around Samui.

If you're craving great italian, ignore all other restaurants and head straight to Duomo

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sun Valley, Idaho
“duomo”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Absolutely great experience. Margarita pizza, chicken carbonara, tiramisu, and gelato were all fantastic. Highly recommend it! Service was superb as well!

• Visited October 2013
“Quality Little Italian”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I ate here on our recent holiday in Thailand. I'm a big fan of Thai food but really fancied something different so checked out this place due to it's high TA rating and we were glad we did. It is ideally located down a little 'soi' off the main Chaweng strip. It was easy to find but far away enough from the gaudy lights and noise for it to be a welcome bit of peace and quiet.

A previous rater had said the décor 'won't win any design awards' but I thought it was perfectly nice and authentic. The staff were super friendly and the prices were reasonable. Like many places in Thailand white wine is often sold at a premium and this was no different but my better half said it was one of the nicest glasses of wine she'd had all holiday so you're paying for better quality. I ordered local beer and it was very comparable to the standard price of around 100BHT.

Food wise we were given breadsticks and olives to nibble on whilst we ordered which was appreciated. We then ordered Bruschetta to share for a starter which was very tasty with good amounts of garlic and small diced tomato. I'd been craving Pizza for a few days but the range of choice in most Thai restaurants that serve European food had been really poor. No problems here though and I ordered the spicy salami and my partner had the prosciutto ham. Both were delicious, thin crusted and cooked very well. Overall a very simple but enjoyable meal that easily satisfied our craving for quality Italian cuisine.

• Visited October 2013
Manama
“Proper Italian”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

We feel a little 'guilty' having been to Duomo twice during our Samui visit, as, somehow, eating Italian in Thailand doesn't feel,quite right, but it is so good and the food so excellent that we could not resist. Whoever taught the Thai staff to cook Italian so well must be some sort of foodie genius and the service is quite excellent too. The menu is wide ranging and we enjoyed well presented cold dishes to start, while my wife loved her freshly made thin crust pizza on both occasions and I tried fresh pasta dishes, both of which were as good as I could remember eating anywhere. Decent house wines, great deserts and coffee complete the overall experience and it is good value too. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Visited twice in 4 days”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Really really great food ... Very authentic - you can tell the Italian touch- uses fresh ingredients and refined cooking methods.

Went again with the kids and they loved it too!

A little nondescript but the food is worth it.