“Overall review on FX Resort Chaweng, Koh Samui”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Avenue Samui

The Avenue Samui
Ranked #91 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Overall review on FX Resort Chaweng, Koh Samui”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Room
The FX is offering two types of room - the Superior and the Deluxe. There arent much different between this two.

The Superior is slightly smaller then the Deluxe. According to their website, the Superior (24sqm) is 3sqm smaller then the Deluxe (27sqm). Nothing too much to compare other than size of these rooms. Personally, I would not advise you guys to choose the Deluxe room even though it is just RM30/per night extra than the Superior room.

Both rooms come with private balcony which is not private at all as it is a 'open' balcony where one can climb-over/see/touch/talk to your neighbor.

All the rooms we stayed did not offer any sea view. Im doubting that FX does not have any room with sea view.

The bathroom... As mine, the rain shower wasnt working so well. The water heater was kinda not in good condition as well. It was either too warm or too cold. It could not be adjust to be just right. This was happening not only on me but also my friends' room.

The cleanliness of this hotel was just so-so. The floor was dusty, the balcony's floor was even dustier like no one was maintaining it at all. Other then the dusty floor, every other thing was fine.

One of the most satisfying thing in the room was the bedding. The pillows and the bedding was fantastic. In fact, the bedding was most satisfying point for me. Every sleep was very peaceful.

Breakfast
My friends and I did not take the package that comes together with the breakfast but I did peek through what they were offering for the buffet breakfast. It was nothing more then some bread and butter, cereal and milk, coffee and tea.

Breakfast at the 7-11 or Family Mart nearby was rather satisfying.

Location
FX was located probably 10mins motorbike ride from the beach and it is surrounded by other shops and buildings. Thus, that explains the rooms do not come with sea view. When I look out from the balcony, I will only see the buildings or shops next to it.

There is also quite a number of convient store (eg: 7-11, Family Mart, Tesco Express) within the walking distance. Actually, you will easily find a lot of these stores in Chaweng.

Other attractions including the Night Market, Stadium (for Muay Thai, I assume), the happening and busy streets of Chaweng can be easily reached.

Getting around
The friendly staff at the reception may help you with renting a motorbike. It costed me 200baht/day for an almost-emptied-tank bike. Gasoline is easily available almost everywhere at 40baht per bottle.

Other options than the motorbike is taking tuk-tuk. You may flag one down anytime, anywhere. There are plenty of tuk-tuk passing by the FX particularly during the evening till late at night.

Room Tip: Paying extra RM30/night(in my case) for the Deluxe room doesnt worth it. My recommendation is the Su...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jimmy K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel was quite good. I loved the room and the friendly staff. The only low point I would say it is that is 10 minutes away from the beach (20 if you are looking for the more populated areas) and 20 minutes away from the centre (Green Mango Club on Beach Road) so I'd say it is quite a long walk especially at night. But there are plenty of taxis and scooters that will be more than happy to take you back to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I imagine this looked like a very nice hotel in the first couple of months it was open. It was passable when I stayed there; however, this place is going rapidly downhill. Six months from now it will be a total dive unless something drastic changes. Everything looks like it was new a year ago but has not been cleaned since then. There's mold growing on the curtains and in the shower. The halls are filthy. There were rodent droppings by the pool that didn’t move (because it was never cleaned) in the 5 days I was there. Rooms are not cleaned very well on a daily basis. The central A/C that is probably a huge splurge in Thailand was not half as effective as the individual room units in my other hotels. The fitness center is actually at an adjoining hotel and not impressive. You have to put down a 500 baht (refundable) deposit to take your room key out of the hotel. Also, I found it ironic that I should travel halfway around the world to find American Standard fixtures in the bathroom. On the plus side, the pool is very nice and seemed clean. Breakfast was more than adequate. When we didn't get our bottled water one day, we just had to call the front desk and 2 replacements were brought right up. I liked the location as it is 2 blocks from the beach but not inundated with trucks blaring advertisements through loud speakers all night long. In summary, I'm sure there are many better places to stay and I would seek them out rather than staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank azraelcat

Travelers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This isn't a bad place but its not amazing. The bed was large and comfy and the bedding was changed everyday and the shower was amazing; although the shower curtain definately was a bit dodgy.

The hotel is around the corner from all the go-go bars if thats what you are into. Location wise, its not awful. We walked there and back at night and its a 15 minute walk or so to the centre I don't think it is that bad. However if you don't like walking and you want something nearer this won't be for you.

When we first checked in the door was open to the room and the bed unmade. They apologised and gace us free wifi for the day. I don't think its an amazing hotel however plus is that the shower is good, comfy and clean bed.

The only thing I would say is that unless you like fruit, the breakfast is awful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank natalieoreilly
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My Fiance and I recently stayed four nights at this hotel in February 2013, and at first glance you think this place is a nice modern hotel.

Upon exiting the elevator we got off to a carpeted hallway which looked like many battles and druken nights had been spent in the hallways.

Stains, hair and general uncleanliness were apparently visible. We entered our room to find the same. The hotel itself appeared to either have been recently built or renovated and had all the potential to be a great stay, however the general cleanliness left much to be desired.

The bedskirt of our bed appeared to have never been changed and was stained a blacky red with who knows what. The shower curtain and ceiling was covered with black mold. The toilet appeared to have been recently vomited in and remnents were still visible around its base. Hair and dust was all over the nice ceramic floors.

We went downstairs to the front desk to see if our room could be cleaned or if they had another room for us. We were taken to the top floor to see a premium room and found much of the same. The room had all the potential to be nice with modern fixtures throughout, although the general filth through out was terrible.

We decided to stay in our original room and had the cleaning lady reattend. She came by shortly thereafter and proceeded to clean the room with a wet cloth and broom. (no cleaning products, and no chance of a vacuum.) As a result our room remained relatively the same until my fiance desided she'd have to clean the room on her own if it was going to be reasonable. This was definetly the first hotel room I've ever stayed in that was as poorly maintained, with moderate potential.

We rented a scooter and headed to Crystal Bay Beach as the local beach in Chaweng is very loud, busy and dirty. As well from the hotel its about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach, which is ok just wasnt worth it once we saw the general vibe of the beach.

Definetly recommend a taxi ride or scooter to Crystal Bay, which is about a 10-15 scooter ride along the coast.

As for the hotel I'd stay away. Other then the reasonable price of the room, at its current state it wasnt worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brady M
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I booked this hotel via Miles And More program of lufthansa! I spend over 40000 miles just for 4 nights, equal to a free return flight from europ to mid Africa! So I expected a real 5 star hotel, but that was not the case!
The rooms are quite ok but than again I guess in the class of 1200 but per night but not recalculated the 5000 per night that I paid!
Swimmingpool is small and not many relax chairs! And the included breakfast, they better won't serve any, it's the worst I ever had, even would not pay 20 bht for it! not really close to the beach as well, at least 15 min walk, and 20 min to centre of chaweng!
Positive, rooms are clean and spacious, good aircon and nice and friendly cleaningladies!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Sammypla
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our last 3 nights in Thailand. We wanted clean and modern with air con and a good shower. We got exactly that for a good price too with breakfast included. No free wifi like everywhere else across Thailand. We did not pay their ridiculous prices instead managed to borrow the Irish pubs wifi from next door after visiting to get a magners, luckily we were on the right side of the building to get it on our balcony. Did not eat in the restaurant as we could find cheaper walking to the beach. Breakfast however was pretty good. Fresh fruit every morning with cereals and toast or a cooked breakfast. Although it is not in the centre where everything happens it does have a bit of life down the road more for men if you get me so we did not visit that area. instead took the 10min walk everyday to the beach for lunch and dinner. Cheap cocktails at the nearby night market.

• Stayed February 2013