“Filthy Hotel”

D Varee Diva Avenue Samui
Ranked #94 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My Fiance and I recently stayed four nights at this hotel in February 2013, and at first glance you think this place is a nice modern hotel.

Upon exiting the elevator we got off to a carpeted hallway which looked like many battles and druken nights had been spent in the hallways.

Stains, hair and general uncleanliness were apparently visible. We entered our room to find the same. The hotel itself appeared to either have been recently built or renovated and had all the potential to be a great stay, however the general cleanliness left much to be desired.

The bedskirt of our bed appeared to have never been changed and was stained a blacky red with who knows what. The shower curtain and ceiling was covered with black mold. The toilet appeared to have been recently vomited in and remnents were still visible around its base. Hair and dust was all over the nice ceramic floors.

We went downstairs to the front desk to see if our room could be cleaned or if they had another room for us. We were taken to the top floor to see a premium room and found much of the same. The room had all the potential to be nice with modern fixtures throughout, although the general filth through out was terrible.

We decided to stay in our original room and had the cleaning lady reattend. She came by shortly thereafter and proceeded to clean the room with a wet cloth and broom. (no cleaning products, and no chance of a vacuum.) As a result our room remained relatively the same until my fiance desided she'd have to clean the room on her own if it was going to be reasonable. This was definetly the first hotel room I've ever stayed in that was as poorly maintained, with moderate potential.

We rented a scooter and headed to Crystal Bay Beach as the local beach in Chaweng is very loud, busy and dirty. As well from the hotel its about a 10-15 minute walk to the beach, which is ok just wasnt worth it once we saw the general vibe of the beach.

Definetly recommend a taxi ride or scooter to Crystal Bay, which is about a 10-15 scooter ride along the coast.

As for the hotel I'd stay away. Other then the reasonable price of the room, at its current state it wasnt worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brady M

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I booked this hotel via Miles And More program of lufthansa! I spend over 40000 miles just for 4 nights, equal to a free return flight from europ to mid Africa! So I expected a real 5 star hotel, but that was not the case!
The rooms are quite ok but than again I guess in the class of 1200 but per night but not recalculated the 5000 per night that I paid!
Swimmingpool is small and not many relax chairs! And the included breakfast, they better won't serve any, it's the worst I ever had, even would not pay 20 bht for it! not really close to the beach as well, at least 15 min walk, and 20 min to centre of chaweng!
Positive, rooms are clean and spacious, good aircon and nice and friendly cleaningladies!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Sammypla
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our last 3 nights in Thailand. We wanted clean and modern with air con and a good shower. We got exactly that for a good price too with breakfast included. No free wifi like everywhere else across Thailand. We did not pay their ridiculous prices instead managed to borrow the Irish pubs wifi from next door after visiting to get a magners, luckily we were on the right side of the building to get it on our balcony. Did not eat in the restaurant as we could find cheaper walking to the beach. Breakfast however was pretty good. Fresh fruit every morning with cereals and toast or a cooked breakfast. Although it is not in the centre where everything happens it does have a bit of life down the road more for men if you get me so we did not visit that area. instead took the 10min walk everyday to the beach for lunch and dinner. Cheap cocktails at the nearby night market.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank miniaust
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Strongly disattisfied with the female staff over here! As I requested to switch my single bed room to double bed room. I was told that there is no room. When I about to back to the room, the female staff start to critic me with another female staff! She even dare to ask me go and complain. She's really no manners! I wouldn't come back here for sure! Terrible customer service!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank MavisNg
Reviewed January 3, 2013

i stayed at fx resort on october 2012 for 4 nights, was actually very pleased with the hotel iself though its kinda far from the center and u have to take a taxi to return at night.
but nothing preperd me to what happend when i got home.
i was charged by the hotel at the day i made the booking thru booking.com on july.
1 month after i got home(november) i saw 2 new charges on my credit card, when i contacted booking.com and the hotel i was told that i gave permission to pay for 2 more groups at the hotel!!
i think i would have remember doing that...
now im trying to cancel those charges thru my credit company but its important foor me to warn you people to STAY AWAY !!! so it wont happen to you too

Room Tip: i recommand to stay away from all rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank silentbz
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I did my research and was surprised, it was better than it looked. Good location, great rooms, comfy beds, fantasic rooftop pool. Brekky was a bit average after the fourth day but plenty of it. Cannot say enough good things about the staff too. Exceptional value. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All good, could see no difference
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PHK2010
Reviewed December 12, 2012

never write reviews on hotels but this one has been brilliant! the hotel staff are amazing. me and my partner were travelling around thailand and our last point of call was koh samui. Hotel rooms were everything we expected and the staff couldnt do enough for us. the reason im writing this review is because of one incident in particular. I lost my phone in the taxi on the way to the airport to catch our return flight back to the uk, not only did the luggage claim people ring koh samui airport to see if id left it there, they also rang the hotel, when they said they hadn't found it, the hotel then rang the taxi company without us asking them to do so, the taxi driver found it in the back of the car, to then return it to the hotel and for them to send it back to me!!! They have been brilliant! Hotel is in a very good location and is only 10 minutes from the beach! we would definaly stay here if we returned. Thankyou

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple