“An 'ok' hotel but not a pleasant stay”

Ploen Chaweng Koh Samui
Ranked #16 of 68 Chaweng B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Okay, this is a budget hotel, so we didn't expected much, but still there are some basic baseline which this hotel does not fulfill:

1) Staff is not friendly and not professional enough. When we arrive, there is only 1 single guy at the check-in area which seems fairly new with his job and busy playing with his Facebook.

2) Room condition is clean and spacious, but no towels is provided and we need to go down to ask the guy again, and he grab us 2 blue towels with pink stains.

The hotel basically is a shop-houses converted hotel. It have 2 pools (one at the lobby one at the rooftop) which I doubt who will go to swim because it's looks extremely small! Will not consider to go back to this hotel again, will definitely willing to pay extra a few hundred bath to get a better stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 5, 2013

STAY ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!! I checked out within hours of checking in because... Following a nauseating catamaran ride I arrived at my hotel hoping to lay down and rest. My hopes were killed when I saw the hotel. The halls are dark and grim. It got worse when the door to the hotel room was opened. The sheets and pillowcases were stained. Not a few small spots, but stains the size of dinner plates. It looked like road kill. There were cigarette butts on the balcony. The toilet was covered in dead bugs. In the corner of the shower was a large spiderweb, complete with spider. Apparently, Samui Ocean Hotel's idea of housekeeping is to make the bed and do nothing else. I can't believe they weren't ashamed to let someone enter that room. I saw the room and immediately started looking for another hotel. This would have been easier had the wifi worked in the room. I had to conduct my search from the lobby, where I had to ask the cranky staff member to get off the lobby computer so that I could use it. From check in to to check out the staff was less than friendly. When I checked out, I told the front desk I would not be paying, seeing as how I had only been there for 3 hours. They said I must pay. I said I'll be taking it up with the credit card company and some honest reviews online. I have stayed in hotels that cost less and were much nicer, cleaner and had a friendlier staff. Samui Ocean Hotel is a nightmare.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Wanderlust6336
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights in January. It is very good value and everything is very clean and towels were changed every day. Even though it is very central in Chaweng it was actually very quiet at night. The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful and as soon as I mentioned that the wi-fi was not working properly they made sure it was working again. The only thing I would say though is that on their own website they mention the rooftop swimming pool. This isn't quite accurate, it is more of an oversized jacuzzi. Otherwise I had no problem with this hotel and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here for just one night, but wished we'd booked for longer.
Very friendly and welcoming staff. Lovely and comfortable room with everything you need including free water. Very clean. Location is perfect, not smack bang in the centre of evrything (so great nights sleep) but only 5 minutes walk to everything. Go to the brazilian restaurant called Zicos which is close by, best meal we had in Samui.
Perfect hotel and great price too, can't recommend enough.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank charl86
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights (800b €20 per night) and was excellent value. The hotel itself is close to the main hub but still far enough away to sleep soundly.

There is a pool downstairs but not very inviting as it is located in the main lobby. There is however a large jacuzzi on the roof which is private and a lot more inviting.

The staff are very efficient and friendly and nothing was a problem.

The room itself was very nice. Clean and bed was comfortable. A little balcony for some fresh air, fridge, air con, lovely bathroom and tv. (only gripe with tv was signal was terrible so didnt really work at)
Free wifi in the rooms was very convenient.

All in all this is a lovely hotel and extremely well priced for Koh Samui. I would not hesitate in returning.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed there for 12 days,hotel is situated near the main street,its good if you want to be near the shops,restaurants,bars and dont want to be a disturbed all of noisy voices from main street.I think that the other hotels in front of beach are not so good for quiet vacation,so much noisy bars.
The stuff are very friendly,helpfully but their english are not so good.But it doesnt matter,because a lot of taxi drivers and traders on island doesnt know well english.
The room was clean with neccessary facilities (safe,fridge,air conditioning,TV) and room service was satisfactory.Breakfast was simply,nothing special for choose.
Near the hotel on main street is very good restaurant opposite the Chaweng resort,great thai food at a good price.
The Chaweng beach is 10 minutes by walk,we looked a lot of beaches on Koh Samui and I thing the Chaweng is best choose for families and not good swimmers,because onset to the sea is slow and length of the beach is about 4 km.
Anyway only I can say that recommend this hotel if you dont want to spend a lot of money for your vacation.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jozef K
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. The rooms are clean, silent and well equipped: bathroom with a
separate toilet, safe, refrigerator, air-conditioner, TV, small balcony, fast and free wi-fi, cleaned every day and 2 new bottles of water every day. The only minus – there is no air vent in the toilet and bathroom. Breakfast is a la carte, not much of a choice: only eggs, yoghurt, bacon, sausages, toasts, tea/coffee. The staff is friendly, but speak and understand English bad.
The hotel is situated a bit off a main street, but it is not far from the markets, shops, bars and restaurants. It takes only 5 min to get to the beach! The Hotel doesn’t have its own beach, but you may use every beach bed with umbrella you like, belongs to the one of the many cafés along the beach. They are free, just buy a glass of fresh juice or have lunch at this café!
Samui Ocean Hotel is a quite good economical choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple