“good food, very average service”
Review of Via Vai

Via Vai
Ranked #50 of 195 Restaurants in Chaweng
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This centrally located restaurant serves good Italian food but it is expensive for what it is compared to others on the strip. It's central location no doubt ensures a captive audience. My pizza was just how Italian pizza in my mind should be and the pasta dishes, also above par.
The service was just average though, nonchalent and only a smile raised on presentation of the bill. There wasn't really any atmosphere to speak of either, but to be fair we ate there at lunchtime and there was only 1 other table. I imagine in the night time the atmosphere would pick up as the restaurant fills up and it presents a pretty good people watching position with all the foot traffic if you sit roadside.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had been here 3 years earlier and really enjoyed the restaurant so decided to come back again. Via Vai was every bit as good as we remembered and after another great dinner we opted to come back a second time during our recent stay on Koh Samui. There is a wide selection to choose from on the menu and all 7 of us were delighted with our meals. The antipasto, pizza and pasta dishes were great and the staff and service were good. It can get a bit warm in the centre of the restaurant near the pizza oven, but, hey, this is the tropics and you soon got used to it. Stick with the cocktails and local beer though, the wine, like most of Asia, is highly taxed and not particularly memorable. If you want a change from Thai food and love Italian food then you will enjoy this restaurant. Good value.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Don't know, I ordered, paid BUT never tasted the food.
Sadly, the wait staff Stole my appetite. As an Italian/ American University teacher living in Thailand, I was so very excited to read the reviews of this restaurant for my upcoming business/ vacation visit to Koh Samui.
The wait person acted as if I was a nuance, at 7PM and 5 other patrons. I ordered in english several times to no avail, then ordered in Thai: plain Margarita pizza, salad no onions and a beer. Simple ya think! Nope, several times I explained I wanted a plain pizza - shocking for her I guess.
The beer brought was open and warm, then when she returned with the salad I told her about the beer and she "literally dropped" the salad on the table and waked away! She said something to another wait staff who then brought a bread basket (?).
I sat staring at her for a quite a while, then stood up to leave, when another wait staff came over and asked what was wrong, I explained, she shrugged her shoulders, called for the original wait staffer who came over apologized and handed me my check.
I laughed out loud, paid the check, suggesting to her to at least learn how smile when presenting a check or apologizing.
***Walked down the street and had several wonderful meals from a wood burning brick oven - delicious no problems!!

1  Thank moctober16
Reviewed June 7, 2012

the environment is a bit crowed. but the pizza and parma ham is just marvellous!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Came here a few times over the years. Both the pasta and pizza slowly getting worse. Still the best italian in chaweng though, so if you are stuck here this is as good as it gets. Never ceases to amaze me how a restaurant can have a wood fired pizza oven and punch out average pizza. Its really not too hard. It just screams corner cutting. You just need dough prepd correctly, a hot oven and fresh ingredients. The dough was sufficiently prepared, but the pizza temp was way too low resulting in overcooked pizza giving a hard lifeless crust. I guess no trade at lunch and keeping it warm is deemed ok, but id prefer they shut until its worth geting the temp up. Places like this are better than pizza hut, but they give neapolitan pizza a bad name. Pastas are good enough for chaweng.