“Didn't live up to expectations...”

Ark Bar Beach Resort
Ranked #33 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I'd heard a lot about this place before arriving, mostly that it's a great party hotel and great atmosphere but I didn't find it to be that great. The Thai staff seem to have been tainted over the years by the class of people that attend the hotel, therefore they do not come across as kind, caring and warm welcoming as you'd imagine in other resorts.

There is a charge against everything in the room (for example; I dropped shower gel onto a hand towel and reception tried to charge me 50 baht for damage, which obviously it wasn't damage!).

The music was disappointing, I'd expected more mainstream dance, vocal funky house rather than the ongoing same beat all day and night.

Aircon in the room wasn't worthwhile and you cannot leave electricity on in the room once you leave and take your key as it runs off of a magnet in the key card. So no way of cooling the room when you're out.

Finally, the pool itself poses danger to it's guests as it isn't fully tiled. Instead, they have opted for a sharp stone surface on the pool seating area and around the edge. Unfortunately myself and my partner both came away with two separate injuries through entering and exiting the pool.

As a whole, the hotel is what you'd expect for a young persons cheap getaway resort. Very regimented and no thrills. I don't want to sound like a misery but I definitely wouldn't stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: Don't get an apartment with a sea view. Music doesn't stop until 2am, so if you're not o...
There are newer reviews for Ark Bar Beach Resort

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days in all and had an overall wonderful experience during our stay in Ko Samui. We landed at the Harbor and hailed a shared songthaw (Tuk Tuk) to this hotel. The hotel is quite famous among the locals and hence it was quite easy for us to reach here. The hotel is right on the Chaweng beach which is the most developed and busy beach in Ko Samui. The entire property is spread over a 500 meter square area along the beach with double story buildings and three swimming pools. Thereare two private swimmming pools for the guests and One Center swimming with a jacuzzi in it which is available for outside visitors for a price. This hotel is best for young groups and people who are looking out for some good party in thailand. It is definitely not recommeded for couples who are looking for a quite peaceful time. The hotel organizes a pool side party every alternate day with great music and fire shows along the pool and the beach all through the night and wee hours of the morning. The events organised are open to outsider at a payment but free for inhouse guests. A lot of outsiders are looking to crash the party too because of the extreme popularity of the party scene in th hotel. The rooms of the hotel are strictly above average with a nice decor to it. There was some construction going around the hotel when we visited but it was not of any inconvenience to us. The food in the restaurant is good and the morning breakfast is specially recommended. DO visit this hotel if your looking for a nice party in Ko Samui.

Room Tip: There are only a couple of rooms with a pool side and the beach view. These rooms may provide a good...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our first island stop around Thailand and loved it!
We had a deluxe room which was good value for money, considering we had an ocean and pool view room! It's was very clean and the AC was top notch.

The location is outstanding, just a few steps from chaweng beach, crystal waters and white sands, or alternatively just a few step from the hustle and bustle of the restaurants, bars and shops etc.
There is music playing every day from 2pm but this was welcomed by us as we like the beach party atmosphere. However it does run on till late so not the best if ur havin an early night for travelling or trips the next day!

I would say that the food and drink is a bit pricey. But considering the service that you receive and the location of where you are eating I can't really grumble.

Really enjoyed spending our nights on the beach, fire shows were entertaining!

Look forward to coming back to stay here again, we even extended our stay in Samui as we enjoyed it so much! :-)

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Nia B
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Nice clean hotel, especially if you stay in the new section. Definitely a place to go for a party atmosphere - the DJ starts at 2pm every afternoon and doesn't stop until 2am. If you aren't keen for the pumping music but still want to be near the action I suggest asking for a room upstairs and back from the beach. Breakfast is quite reasonable. 199B for any 5 breakfast items off the menu which is good value in comparison to the neighbouring places. This particular section of the beach isn't the prettiest but everything is so close - it's easy to get around the place.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy R
Reviewed April 27, 2014

the hotel staff Is terrible ! ,
they trick pepole daily!
for example:
when we arrived I was suprise to find out i recived at 1 pm (10 minute before we got there to check in) an email says that the credit card I was ordered the room with cannot be charged .
when i got there i was amazed to find out they had cancel 2 room from my order and they already gave the room to other pepole! and thehotel is fully booked so theydont have 3 rooms to give me , moreover if I cancel the 1 room which they still save for me I need to pay for cancellation !
after 1 hour of arguing they gave us 3 rooms BUT so far from each other.
Also "surprisingly" I payed with the "not working" creditcard which was the reason for cancel 2 rooms out of 3 from my order.
the funny part a women next to me had the same problem she also had a non working credit card and they cancel her order so she were forced to pay for more expensive room!

one more example they had charged us a false minibal bill althow we didnt touch him after 3 time arguing with the frontdesk manager she checked the issue and was SUPER shamed to admit that the clean staff forgot to fill up the mini bar and I wasnt lie. .
BUT when we check out the hotel at 6:30 am we was suprised to find out she forgot to cancel to bill and since we need to rush the airport and the manager was a sleep we had forced to pay !!

6  Thank Yuval H
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Loved this bar!! Right on the beach! Banging music. Didnt stay here but went to a couple of beach parties here. Loved the fire dancers they were awsum. Drinks were quite reasonable. Great service. And a great night every time we came!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have had some bad luck with hotels in Thailand, so I was delighted to see that Ark Bar was extremely organised in everything they do.

Positives:

We checked in with no problems, the staff were very friendly and showed us around.

The restaurant has a great selection of Asian and European food, all of very high quality. The food comes very quickly and they even have no problem when you want separate bills (something which can be problematic in some Thai restaurant/bars).

The beach was kept nice and clean (great water too!)

The location is fantastic (if you want to have the 'party' sort of holiday)

They sell Cider! This made me super happy! You can't beat a cider in the sun.

They put on a great show on Wednesdays and Saturdays (I think), with a free BBQ.

Issues we had:

The music at the pool party was just a little too loud, it got to the point where you had to shout to speak to the person next to you. I love a good pool party, but a few less decibels would have been socially nicer.

The bar at night, at some times, was like a zoo. Literally. There were at least 10 people walking round with various tropical animals, putting them on guests, and then requesting money for a photo. One guy had a 'Slow Loris' monkey, these are an endangered species and are illegal to own in Thailand (although there are many laws which are broken in Thailand!).

We had a few problems with our shower and hot water, but not a huge problem, we just needed to press the reset button under the sink every time we needed a shower.

I appreciate that the security guards need to keep the guests motorbikes in a neat order, but my friends motorbike was scratched as a result of it. Luckily, my friend didn't get charged by the bike owner.

The music doesn't stop until 2am, so if you get back back before then, you may struggle to get to sleep. Even if you are in a room far away, you will still hear it significantly.

Room Tip: I guess you should get a room as close to Chaweng road, as this will be furthest from the noise of t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort
First Bungalow Beach Resort
Banana Fan Sea Resort
Banana Fan Sea Resort
#5 of 103 in Chaweng

Been to Ark Bar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!