“Huge disappoinment”

KC Resort & Over Water Villas
Ranked #45 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

I used to think that there cannot be a bad hotel in Thailand as the Thais are renowned for their warm hospitality .The staff at KC hotel proved me wrong .

I have a feeling that there is no training in customer service for the staff. I have not come across a bigger group of unfriendly , uninitiated hotel staff in a holiday destination like Koh Samui .

My 4-day stay also made me re- think the benefits of a well -known chain hotel - it's cookie -cutter at times - but at least our needs are taken care of and one's stay is designed to be enjoyable .

This hotel does not think through its operations well . No extra pillows in the suite; a different wifi password for each device with automatic timeout , a shuttle service that is not clear in its instructions for the pickup from Chaweng beach ( we waited for 30 min at mcdonalds as indicated in the slip we were given at check - in only to be chided by the staff that we should have called the driver and waited elsewhere . we witnessed another pair of fuesys who had the same difficulty the next day ).

Safety and security do not seem to be on their minds . The steep flight of steps to the lobby was not illuminated one evening and I told the reception staff - especially when i almost missed a step. Only to be told that their engineer was looking into it - without any concern for guests who might fall on the stairs or preventive measures in the meantime.

On another occasion, Whilst waiting for our taxi one evening , we saw the entire guestlist and their arrival / departure details and nationalities in the waiting area. This is very 'valuable' information if this falls into the wrong hands .

There appears to be a strong feeling of 'following policy ' at the hotel . We were very unfortunate to encounter this within the first hour of our arrival - a most unpleasant check in experience due to our early arrival. I understand the constraints and was prepared for a compromise or an early brunch - but we were basically told to hang around for 5 hours without any alternative even though we were booked into the largest suites in the hotel .a very special thanks to the hotel manager whom I asked to see for resolving this - before we experienced more unpleasantness .
We were reminded a few times of the cash penalty if those filmsy plastic key cards were lost; not to mention the furrowed check at breakfast against our room number instead of a ' good morning '.

We should have seen it coming -
from the time my airport transfer arrived at the airport, someone came up to me and asked for cash payment for the transfer with a very visible pouch. No welcome , no smiles . Same again when we ordered a transfer to Chaweng. Most hotels would allow us to charge this to the hotel bill or make this seamless. What if some guests had no local Currency on them ?

There was some hype for this hotel due to its overwater feature - which is nothing like those in Maldives . The hotel has features like a twin shower system with multiple jets - which is for giants I think as the water jets meant for one's body would be shooting in the face instead as it is installed too high . One doesn't need an instruction with illustration to get a good shower . Neither do we need multi - colored lights in the bathroom to impress guests .
It would be money better spent to have body lotion in the bathrooms or bedroom slippers .
Even my kids noticed that there was no proper desk in the suite , the 'bedside' clock was high behind the bed - one could not read the time when you get back to bed without sitting up n turning around.

I dropped by their sister property in Chaweng - which they seem to be quite proud of. I was hopeful of better service- but was disappointed by the lack of initiative of the staff to offer beach towels . It is totally presumptuous of the hotel to assume that those who enjoy sitting on the beach require no protection from the sun . And the attitude of the staff when I asked for parasols for the deck chairs !

The hotel clearly does not put the guests at the heart of what they do .

However , I must mention one of the hotel staff named Phu who always had a smile and showed initiative during our stay.

Based on the regular rates in various travel websites- The hotel positions itself as a 5-star property . I happened to spot a flash sale when I was surfing for a hotel . On hindsight - I wish I was not swayed by this 'Attractive deal'.

I noticed glossy videos of fashion models in promotional videos in the lobby. It's fine for the hotel to be where they are if they are positioning themselves as a 'bed and breakfast '. But if they are eyeing an international market - they need to pull up their socks. KC hotel group needs an overhaul of their staff training and operations.

I travel for work n leisure at least 20 -30 times a year- I can definitely tell a well -run hotel . This is definitely not a 5-star property .

Even if I am offered a complimentary stay , this is a hotel that I am unlikely to return . It was a waste of my vacation and I totally regret choosing this hotel .

Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank twinklemelody

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed for 7 nights at this hotel and was duly impressed, however, they will need to replace the beds as they are well used and tend to sink into the middle much like a canoe and are not very comfortable. Otherwise the stay was wonderful the staff deserve 10 stars for their efficiency at all times. Loved the Jacuzzi and shower in the room as well as the balcony with a garden view. The swimming pool is lovely with beautiful views.

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden view room and found this to be wonderful as in the sea facing rooms all the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StephanieCharl
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Only stay for 1 night. Counter service was courteous and helpful. We had a jacuzzi room and was fabulous. Room wise a bit worn but overall was very pleasant.
They have a nice swimming pool too, a nice to take photograph of it's scenic sea view.
Hopefully the management will consider to refurbish this gem.
Overall very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank YMCA24
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Room facing the ocean was great Balcony view was good drinks in afternoon before dinner a bargain Some of the male staff were excellent specially the boys running up the buggies Bar setting for cocktails great spot Now the big drawback its up on the side of a big hill Walking is an effort to get from room to road or other way around especially when its very hot and sticky The time we were there we had no breeze or wind at all so was very hot unless you hit the pool Watch out for all the face suckers there are many !!!!!Lastly the shower in bathroom was very strange could not get it cold enough and we had water jets x six in front plus overhead rose also a coloured light show DIFFERENT

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the oceanside to get views of sea n pools With this resort perched up on the si...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank neville g
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Beautiful villa rooms with private decking and pool which runs underneath your room. On arrival the staff were friendly and informative and cater for your every request. The bed was queen sized with the most amazing comfortable sheets that made for a very comfortable stay. The pool runs underneath the room and theres a glass window in the floor that you can look down into the pool which was different and funky. The pool was nice size and with it being partly in the shade it was a nice sun breaker for the mid day heat. We dined in the hotels restaurant on our first night. As the hotel is up on a hill the view overlooking the sea and island was just amazing and with a full moon shining down on us it certainly set the scene. The food here is certainly 5star. The hotel runs a complimentary bus into town every day and also to their sister hotel on the beach. I would certainly go back. The gym is adequate but could maybe do a lil upgrading. We did have a small problem with our door key which worked intermittently but the staff were brilliant and dealt with it quickly each time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dkt2010
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Our original booking to a different resort in Samui was stuffed up by the booking agent and the default booking was to KC Resort, which we had never visited before. In some respects we were disappointed, but in others the hotel made up for its unfortunate location. So: Pros - the staff are wonderful! Friendly and helpful and always smiling (Though this is almost a universal phenomenon in Thai resorts). The room we were allocated was pleasant enough as a base, bed was king-size and very comfortable, closet space was adequate and the bathroom and shower were good. We were on the 2nd floor (3rd to USA readers) and had a wonderful view of the sea and the sunrise. We had a jacuzzi on our balcony (which we didn't use, but was a nice touch). There are one-bedroom apartments available on the top floor and I think I would definitely go for one of those over the standard hotel room. The dining room and bar area were very attractive and the food was good (we stuck to Thai food, so can't comment on the European offerings). Breakfast (buffet) was adequate, but not as good as some places I have stayed. There was a courtesy bus running several times a day to Chaweng (main commercial tourist area in Samui - kind of like a toned-down Patong (Phuket)), where you can use the sister resort, KC Beach Club facilities. Infinity pool looking out over the bay is nice. The Over Water Villas are built over their own pool and looked fabulous (was very jealous!)
OK - Cons: mainly location! Set on the side of a steep hill, you have to rely on the staff to give you a ride in buggies from reception up to the room elevators, or to the road, where you can hail a cab or bus to go to places other than Chaweng (we hired a car - cheap and not so scary driving as in Phuket). You are not by the sea and if you do go to the beach, you'll get back to your room all hot and sweaty! They have a Spa - but I can't comment, as we went elsewhere for a massage (cheaper). The mini fridge in the rooms do not have a freezer compartment, and runs off the room pass key, so turns off when you're not there - drinks were never cold, so we kept room service running with ice buckets! Sofa in the room was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on!
Bottom Line: there are literally hundreds of resorts in Samui, so I would suggest that if you are planning a romantic or tropical paradise type of trip, give KC a miss - if you like lounging by the pool with a cold drink or reading a book on your balcony, then this isn't a bad option.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nd floor or higher and on the opposite side to the Airport.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steph G
Reviewed May 19, 2014

On a short visit with friends to Koh Samui we had stayed at this property, this biggest draw back of the property is the location, it is on a steep hill (they do have a battery operated buggy which you can call anytime to get around the property) and the view are not so great. While waiting at the reception, there was only one staff and she kept talking on the phone i had to wait for 10 minutes for another staff member to come and assist in checking in, so the stay started on a disappointing note.

We had taken the suit rooms on the 4th floor which had 2 Jacuzzis in the room, but both were dirty and we did not feel like using them.

The rooms and bed are ok, but to take a shower in the bathroom felt like a mission, with shower panel having so many knobs that they had an instruction manual stuck on the shower panel to guide you how to use it, which was again a pain. The breakfast at the hotel was way below average, when staying in Thailand breakfasts are served lavishly, but that is not the case with this property.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends