I used to think that there cannot be a bad hotel in Thailand as the Thais are renowned for their warm hospitality .The staff at KC hotel proved me wrong .
I have a feeling that there is no training in customer service for the staff. I have not come across a bigger group of unfriendly , uninitiated hotel staff in a holiday destination like Koh Samui .
My 4-day stay also made me re- think the benefits of a well -known chain hotel - it's cookie -cutter at times - but at least our needs are taken care of and one's stay is designed to be enjoyable .
This hotel does not think through its operations well . No extra pillows in the suite; a different wifi password for each device with automatic timeout , a shuttle service that is not clear in its instructions for the pickup from Chaweng beach ( we waited for 30 min at mcdonalds as indicated in the slip we were given at check - in only to be chided by the staff that we should have called the driver and waited elsewhere . we witnessed another pair of fuesys who had the same difficulty the next day ).
Safety and security do not seem to be on their minds . The steep flight of steps to the lobby was not illuminated one evening and I told the reception staff - especially when i almost missed a step. Only to be told that their engineer was looking into it - without any concern for guests who might fall on the stairs or preventive measures in the meantime.
On another occasion, Whilst waiting for our taxi one evening , we saw the entire guestlist and their arrival / departure details and nationalities in the waiting area. This is very 'valuable' information if this falls into the wrong hands .
There appears to be a strong feeling of 'following policy ' at the hotel . We were very unfortunate to encounter this within the first hour of our arrival - a most unpleasant check in experience due to our early arrival. I understand the constraints and was prepared for a compromise or an early brunch - but we were basically told to hang around for 5 hours without any alternative even though we were booked into the largest suites in the hotel .a very special thanks to the hotel manager whom I asked to see for resolving this - before we experienced more unpleasantness .
We were reminded a few times of the cash penalty if those filmsy plastic key cards were lost; not to mention the furrowed check at breakfast against our room number instead of a ' good morning '.
We should have seen it coming -
from the time my airport transfer arrived at the airport, someone came up to me and asked for cash payment for the transfer with a very visible pouch. No welcome , no smiles . Same again when we ordered a transfer to Chaweng. Most hotels would allow us to charge this to the hotel bill or make this seamless. What if some guests had no local Currency on them ?
There was some hype for this hotel due to its overwater feature - which is nothing like those in Maldives . The hotel has features like a twin shower system with multiple jets - which is for giants I think as the water jets meant for one's body would be shooting in the face instead as it is installed too high . One doesn't need an instruction with illustration to get a good shower . Neither do we need multi - colored lights in the bathroom to impress guests .
It would be money better spent to have body lotion in the bathrooms or bedroom slippers .
Even my kids noticed that there was no proper desk in the suite , the 'bedside' clock was high behind the bed - one could not read the time when you get back to bed without sitting up n turning around.
I dropped by their sister property in Chaweng - which they seem to be quite proud of. I was hopeful of better service- but was disappointed by the lack of initiative of the staff to offer beach towels . It is totally presumptuous of the hotel to assume that those who enjoy sitting on the beach require no protection from the sun . And the attitude of the staff when I asked for parasols for the deck chairs !
The hotel clearly does not put the guests at the heart of what they do .
However , I must mention one of the hotel staff named Phu who always had a smile and showed initiative during our stay.
Based on the regular rates in various travel websites- The hotel positions itself as a 5-star property . I happened to spot a flash sale when I was surfing for a hotel . On hindsight - I wish I was not swayed by this 'Attractive deal'.
I noticed glossy videos of fashion models in promotional videos in the lobby. It's fine for the hotel to be where they are if they are positioning themselves as a 'bed and breakfast '. But if they are eyeing an international market - they need to pull up their socks. KC hotel group needs an overhaul of their staff training and operations.
I travel for work n leisure at least 20 -30 times a year- I can definitely tell a well -run hotel . This is definitely not a 5-star property .
Even if I am offered a complimentary stay , this is a hotel that I am unlikely to return . It was a waste of my vacation and I totally regret choosing this hotel .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ’KC Resort & Over Water Villas’ is located at the North of Chaweng Beach, on a hill top. This unique location allows you to be close to the center of Chaweng, where everything happens, but not be disturbed by any night time craziness. The view over the Gulf of Thailand, Koh Matlang and Chaweng Bay is spectacular and can be seen from anywhere in the resort. To fit all your need, KC Resort & Over Water Villas provides Spa-in and outdoor luxurious treatment rooms; A view Restaurant & Wine Lounge - featuring a terrace with a great view on the neighboring island and the ideal spot for dining or enjoying a drink and of course 95 exclusive rooms, suites and villas that will exceed your expectations, in a secluded estate enjoying stunning views over the cobalt blue sea and outlying islands of Koh Samui. Every room features complimentary WiFi, over size king bed with double seat Jacuzzi with light therapy system and rain shower column with acupressure jet, cordless telephone, safety box, mini bar and hair dryer with shaver socket. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your KC Resort & Over Water Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kc Resort & Over Water Villas Hotel Chaweng
- Kc Resort And Over Water Villas
- KC Resort & Over Water Villas Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand