“Best Mexican food anywhere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gringos Cantina Mexican Restaurant

Gringos Cantina Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 182 Restaurants in Chaweng
Cuisines: International, Mexican, Southwestern, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Best Mexican food anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I traveled back to Koh Samui for the 3rd time in 10 years and was very pleased to see my favourite restaurant 'Gringos' was still going strong under the guidance of Kirk the Canadian owner and was even more pleased to see and report that the food was just as good as ever.
This is one must visit restaurant on the paradise island of Samui, the owner is always helpful and greets all his customers making sure that the service is of a very good standard.
I look forward to going back again very soon for some more Burritos.

1 Thank Kevbap

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
london, england
“Lovely!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

A large group of approximately 30 of us went here for a pre wedding meal. The food was great and the hospitality of the staff was fantastic, they were attentive and made our visit enjoyable.

On our table we had a variety of dietary requirements including; gluten and lactose intolerances as well as vegetarians. They were so accommodating and even went to get the ingredients lists to make sure that none of us reacted to any of the ingredients which was fantastic.

I can't fault the service and the food was very tasty! They also do jugs of cocktails which are Devine and go down a treat….perhaps too well in fact lol!

If your in Chaweng and fancy some non-thai food then this is the place to go, its down a little side street just off the main road, great atmosphere, great food and fantastic cocktails! Go and enjoy!

Canberra, Australia
“It's worth popping down a side street!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Wow! Wow! Wow!

HOLA! If you're looking for something other than the local cuisines, then perhaps Mexican is the flavour of the evening, and we would very much recommend Gringos Cantina.

Firstly, THANK YOU to the Gringos Cantina team for making my husband and my hucks (combined hens and bucks) night such a memorable evening.

We all marched our way down to Gringos Cantina in Chaweng after reading such good reviews on Trip Advisor and I am glad to write that we were not disappointed.

I think initially the team were a little overwhelmed to have 30 something hungry folks descend upon them at once (but I don't really know a small restaurant who wouldn't be in the same boat really, so no hard feelings there). Our waitress, no joke, was running from the kitchen, to the bar, to us. She just took everything in her stride and never once appeared flustered or faulted on exceptional customer service. All of the orders were correct (to my knowledge) and the feedback from our guests was all very positive, including the greatest compliment of all (especially more so considering it is not a custom in our country) that many tables left our waitress rather large tips at the close of the evening.

Did I mention that we only had one waitress? Yes, it's true. As it was explained to us, two team members didn't show for work that evening, hence her running. This was whilst she was apologising for slow service. Honestly, this kind of customer service and attention to detail doesn't happen in our country and we were blown away.

Although the service would have appeared slow from the kitchen, we attribute this to the above again (34 adults and children walking in at once), and given that many of our wedding guests hadn't met each other before, this gave everyone an opportunity to meet and mingle (which incidentally, made the ceremony and reception the next day very easy - double win).

The food was exceptional. I personally ordered the chicken burrito and not only was it a very generous serving size, it was utterly delicious. Again, the feedback from our friends and family was big ticks for portion and taste. Even our lactose free, gluten free and vego friends enjoyed their respective dishes.

The cocktails were really well made also. Too often, I've been served a cocktail that was either really lacking or mostly made up of ice; or that out of balance that it tasted like rocket fuel. Even in litre jug size, the bar team got the blend right, and having worked in a cocktail bar, I personally appreciate that that is the real point of a cocktail.

Once the meals had all come out and we'd had our fill of cocktails, the music cranked up a few more decibels and a wave of sombrero hats came out for us to enjoy. It really made the night more memorable dancing in Mexican attire and taking photos in our hats.

Honestly, the only thing that doesn't go in this restaurants favour, is the fact that it's approximately 40 metres down a side street off of Chaweng Beach Road, and as such, not many taxi drivers know it well. To get there ourselves, we had to use our secondary location (Starz Cabaret) as a point of reference and back track with google maps that we had previously printed. Other guests were lucky to get directions once they had arrived in Chaweng, and I suppose that's the power of word of mouth.

I hope that more experiences like ours are documented through the Trip Advisor community, and eventually more folks will take the leap of faith and wander off down a side street and find a great little bar, with a load of personality like Gringos Cantina.

Again, a massive thank you to the team for their patience and their service. If we find ourselves on Samui again, we will definitely pop in for a visit.

ko samui
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Went to Gringos last night to try out the joint. I love mexican food so i wanted to try this as i live in Samui and here there is no other mexican restaurant. The food is very good. Not typical tex-mex taste but still very good and flavorful. I will surely go back again. The place is clean. Food is good. Service is also excellent. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Would recommend this place for people who are tired of thai and italian food and looking for a change. The only bad point was my beer was not very cold but its not a biggie.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Nothing Mexican about this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I ordered the fajita, and everything except the tortillas and the grated cheese was just sad.

The guacamole had an industrial taste, nothing that reminded me of the delicious taste of fresh avocado. The salsa must have been mostly bland tomatoes, it had no sting or even taste to it.

The nacho chips were not crispy, it felt like they had been standing out in the humid air for hours.

The chicken was OK but not very interesting, and it was supposed to be brought to the table on a sizzling plate - it was just luke warm and very quiet, floating in a watery sauce when it arrived (though I noticed that it was presented in the accurate way to customers before and after me, so I might have just been out of luck that evening).

I ordered a corn on the cob on the side, and it was served with a small bowl of butter. Which would have been nice, if it wasn't for the almost cold corn, the butter didn't melt when put on top of it.

Generally, I was very disappointed, real Mexican/texmex food is fresh and full of flavor. I sprinkled more and more of the green "spicy" sauce we were offered on the chicken, without any results. And I am not very tolerant to spice, I just like a bit of a sting - but I could not make it happen with this food.

If you really like and know Mexican food, you will be very disappointed with this joint.

• 2 of 5 bubbles