We were unfortunate enough to have our stay in Koh Samui interupted by a significant 4 day flood that caused the total loss of power on the island for a couple of days and a full 48 hour shut down of the airport and harbour. The adjoining island was evacuated by the Navy. The Sareeraya staff were brilliant though. At all times they remained genuinely friendly and helpful. No fake smiles in this place. Unlike other hotels we had power at all times through the Sareeraya's backup generator. Other hotels ran out of fuel. Once the rain cleared the sareeraya arranged at short notice for me two minibuses to take uour group on a tour of the island, and that cost about a quarter of the supposed "genuine" operator called "destination asia" that operates on the island. Also "Destination Asia" are very unreliable and didnt show at the airport for our pickup, so avoid them and their demands.
The island wide balckout forced us to dine at the sareeraya for much of our stay, something we wouldnt normally do.
The food services at the Sareeraya are nearing perfection. The chef demonstrates cooking brilliance, and is happy to make anything that the fussy teenagers wanted. We were there for a wedding, and the reception dinner was extraordinarily good. The restaurant staff are beyond comparison on my worldwide travels, and what makes it the most amazing experience is that there is no pretence. This is a casual experience where your dine in shorts and barefoot - but at near silver service levels of quality. And prepare your self to feel unwell from eating way too much. You really dont want to miss anything on offer. The monday night buffet was expensive by koh samui standards, but well worth it.
We stayed in two of the suites, on level 2. The room was very clean and was kept clean. My only fault would be the hardness of the beds, but that is probably a personal choice. Watch the ends of the beds though - several people walked into them during our stay resulting in cuts and bruises. Quite dangerous and really needs padding. The hotel location was great as well. We were a very short walk to all the street action, and were by far in the greatest beach location. Make sure you try the fruit coctails by the pool. Sheer brilliance.
Koh Samui itself though is not well equipped for significant rain storms. There was signifcant flooding of the streets and other hotels, and the general open walled nature of all hotels and most restaurants is very questionable in wet circumstances. You just have to accept that you will get wet. Sadly the rain caused significant damage to much of the poorer quarters of the island that exist by the day, and it was only after our private bus tour that we realised koh samui really is a third world destination with a first world facade paraded brilliantly by exceptional resorts like Sareeraya.
What you think is an ideallic beach paradise is only paradise because the beaches are raked clean of rubbish every morning. You will enjoy cheap massages and cheap food, but once you realise how these people live, you really feel like you are exploiting them. Get used to being harassed everywhere you go. Taxis, tut tut busses, beach halkers - all the usual things. The islands governement really do need to consider the negative impact that some of these things have on tourism, especially when the hotel is forced to leave considerate little notes on what to avoid on the island to stay safe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Offering 49 exquisite suites and pool villas, Sareeraya Villas & Suites is conveniently set on the quieter part of Chaweng Beach within walking distance to the most popular shopping, nightlife and entertainment area. Each villa provides a private plunge pool while each suite features a spacious terrace with ocean view or outdoor Jacuzzi. The hotel facilities include Raya Spa, Gym, Swimming pool, Transit Lounge, Chef’s Table Restaurant, Read Red Bar, Her Bar & Free WIFI Access. The perfect environment for people who are looking for pleasure, exclusivity and relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Agoda and Hotwire so you can book your Sareeraya Villas & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sareeraya Villas And Suites
- Sareeraya Villas Hotel Chaweng
- Sareeraya Villas & Suites Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand