“Cool cheap hostel”
Review of Nid's Bungalows

Nid's Bungalows
Ranked #40 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Chaweng
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Booked a week @ Nid's Bungalow (dorm) as had overdone my budget in the first couple for weeks in my trip & needed to reign the cash in!

Mainly booked as had its own pool & wanted to stay off the beaches for a little while (getting a little tired of getting offer massage, tattoo's & everything else!) & needed some peace & quiet.

Free breakfast was really nice, as was the pool. Staff were really helpful & the sheets were cleaned every day. Pool table, plasma tv in the bar area.

No complaints at all & re other negative complaints listed; I fully understand what Thailand's like (prostitutes & virtually every bar has working girls) & that the road to here isn't lit - even though I got smashed nearly every night I had no issues finding my way back home!

Also, I liked it that much I added an extra 2 night to my trip, so can't be that bad can it!?

Room Tip: I chose the dorm as not really that fussed about staying with other people, but had a look at the bu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Nid's Bungalows

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for 6 nights in early January. At first the owner was really friendly and welcoming but after checking in that stopped. The staff are grumpy. The whole place is a building site and the builders start at 7am in the morning making the bungalows shake. The bungalows are ok but small with hard beds. The place is totally ridden with animals including a cockrel which crows every morning. All the dogs and cats have fleas. The road to the hotel is walkable but not lit in the night. the hotel is located very close to the prostitute area with a 5/10min walk to the shop and restaurant area and beach. I would stay elsewhere if I came back to koh samui.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Ok first up this place is pretty damn good by all accounts, it has a pool, free breakfast which was great, scrambled eggs, toast, tea, coffee or juice and fruit!

The staff are pleasant enough and the guy who owns it seemed very friendly!

The location is about a 10 minute walk to the main strip but that's great and I mean if youre moaning about that then sort yourself out, you're travelling haha!

Our room was good but I wouldn't say great, it's very clean though! Our bathroom was super! It had a tv if you want to stay in and chill with a nice little decking area outside!

Pool, darts and stuff is there in the bar/resto area and an array of animals are knocking around also!

My only gripe...

Now I'm aware that over new year hostels and hotels whack up prices to exploit travellers and tourists over the festive periods but to put the price up this much didn't work for me! It wasn't worth the nearly £28 we paid for one night! I can understand it going up a few pounds but to me it seemed excessive! it happens all over though but it's a bit garbage if you ask me! After all I have to review a place based on what I get for the price I pay Xmas, new year or not! I feel places should provide better value for money around these times if they are going to jump prices so much and what I got here I have got for much less in other parts of Thailand!

overall though I would recommend this place at the usual price for a room! I would review any other hostel/hotel the same way!

I hope it doesn't sound overly harsh and just very honest!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank John M
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Nids is a nice place to stay at, the dorm was the cleanest ive ever stayed in, with a great bathroom , it felt luxurious compared to other hostels! you also get your own fan and nid is really helpful and gave me water when i arrived after a long journey. the pool is also really clean and tranquil and the free breakfast is a great start to the day. It is also right next to a beautiful lake against a backdrop of mountains which can be refreshing compared to the chaos of the main beach strip.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at Nid's around the 13th of August for 5 nights. We originally booked two but then decided to stay more! Nid and her husband Alan are wonderful. Nid is a very inspirational women with a heart of gold. She looks after and feeds lots of animals in her bungalows which is lovely to see in Asia, and she works very hard to keep everyone happy. She tries very hard with her english too which I think improved everytime I spoke to her. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the gardens watered twice a day. The pool area was lovely and always clean. Breakfast was bread with jam, some fruit and a cup of tea. Simple, but a lovely touch. Alan was always wandering about to ask any questions and he suggested a lovely bakery to us. All in all a fabulous stay and Chewang beach is just around the corner and the main strip of the town is a five minute walk away. I would definitely recommend to anyone. We met a lot of solo travellers as well who said the dorms were spotless. There was a little noise coming from a bar behind the bungalows in the night but not extremely loud.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

we stayed a couple of nights there and really enjoyed our stay.

The hostel is amazingly maintained, a beautiful garden around, with lots of animals (like a jungle).

Our bungalow was nice, very simple but got the best shower i have experienced in Thailand. Everything is provided : towels, toilet papers, soap... Breakfast was included and wonderful.
there is a wonderful swimming pool in the hotel also.

The only "less nice" point is the access to the place : it is in front of a lake and most of the tuk tuk wont drop you off but on the main road where you have to walk to get there. meanwhile, the hotel warned the clients on their website i think.

it is close to shop within walking distance, restaurants, bars and supermarket.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Warm welcoming into the accommodation by a friendly team. One of team dropped us into town for free both evenings for dinner but it's only 5-10 minute walk from the centre. Room was pleasantly decorated and clean. Large bathroom with wall points for electrical appliances. Good wifi signal. Will use again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Behind The Scene Hotel Club @ Samui
Lotus Friendly Hotel
Lotus Friendly Hotel
#17 of 68 in Chaweng
Coconut House Chaweng - Hostel

Been to Nid's Bungalows? Share your experiences!