“Beautiful little gem in Chaweng! Great to meet other travellers!”
Review of Nid's Bungalows

Nid's Bungalows
Ranked #51 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Chaweng
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Nid's Bungalows! I was originally planning to stay only 2 nights but I loved it so much I decided to stay 3! I stayed in the dorm room and at first I was the only person staying there and so I was a little bit dubious about the reviews that I read that Nid's was a good place to meet other travellers, yet after a couple of hours of checking in, I immediately met fellow travellers at the pool and others soon checked into the dorm.

The dorm itself is absolutely lovely, the bedsheets are changed daily and there is an individual fan for each bed, with its own remote control so you don't even have to get out of bed to switch it on or off! The bathroom and shower are brand new and extremely clean and the dorm itself is really big and spacious. The down side is that there isn't much privacy in the dorm, but as I was staying with all girls, this wasn't a problem. Also, there is no key to lock the main room of the door but as Nid's is pretty far from the main tourist area, security isn't an issue! And plus, everyone has their own safety box to keep their valuables in so there's no need to worry about lack of security.

Nid was extremely helpful in arranging trips and travel for me and her family are very welcoming and lovely, except that they are not around a lot of the time! The complimentary breakfast and coffee is a really nice touch and gives a homely feel to the place, in addition to the numerous cats, dogs, rabbits, fish and guinea pigs running around!

The pool is incredible! The water is clean and the pool is a good size and really quiet - perfect if you don't want to spend time at the crowed Chaweng beach and just need a bit of alone time. The location is pretty good, away from the main hustle and bustle of the walking street, but close enough to walk there every day. The only down side is that walking back to Nid's at night is a little scary if travelling alone as a single female as its rather deserted and there are no lights to guide you back.

All in all, Nid's is an extremely lovely place to stay and I would definitely come back and stay here if I was in Koh Samui again! Thank you for your kind hospitality Nid and family! :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 7, 2012

We originally planned to stay two nights but ended up staying four. I wasn't a big fan of Chaweng so just stayed because of this place. The rooms are cleaned daily, there are loads of animals which makes it feel very homely, the staff were lovely and happy to help with whatever you needed. They even helped us get a huge spider out that had managed to get in one of our bags. I would definitely recommend staying here. We had complimentary breakfast also everyday and water.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed 6 nights at Nid’s Bungalows, I was travelling alone and I’ve stayed in many other cheap bungalows around Thailand but I was really surprised by the quality of this accommodation. On arrival I’ve been asked about my bedding preference (twin beds or double bed) and I had the solution I preferred. The bungalow was clean and cozy, there are mosquito nets on the door and window including in the bathroom and offers good facilities such a safety deposit box free of charge in the room and international TV channels. Every day the room is cleaned and towels changed and I got complimentary bottle of water and sterilized glasses. Staff is friendly and helpful, breakfast is just regular but it’s included in the room rate which is good. The bungalows are surrounded by a nice garden area where you can relax and stay in touch with nature and with many friendly pets who live in it. A swimming pool, a laundry, free wifi and pc’s to access internet, a bar with free pool table and darts are available to all guests. I’d suggest renting a motorbike (150/200 baths per day) as the location is near a lake maybe 15/20 minutes walking far from the beach and the night entertainment area, by scooter you can get everywhere in town in less than 5 minutes and it’s the best solution if you want to visit the island. Beers at the bar are maybe a little overpriced for Thai standards but I’d definitely recommend Nid’s bungalows to all backpackers and young travelers who want to stay in Chewang.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank gieson77
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Nid and her husband are very kind and friendly and we received a plate of fruit and bottled water on arrival

However the huts look so run down. There is plastic sheet stapled to the floor to act as carpet and the floor underneath so thin that I was worried I would fall through at any point. The 'hot' shower was only a few degrees above cold and the man made holes in the walls in the bathroom are a perfect way for mosquitoes to get in (which they did!). The bed sheet wasn't clean (although had been washed, it was just stained), the pillows again stained and the only thing we had as a cover was a silk patch which I think used to be a curtain once upon a time.

There is very extensive building work going on so the entire place was one pile of mud/sand/bricks and it made such a mess everywhere

The grounds are very pretty aside from the building work with cats rabbits and chickens wandering around. However there are lots of roosters who made the loudest racket at 530am which lasted for hours!

The site claims to be close to town and the beach....it's not! It's a good 20 minute walk and parts are dark and scary with no lighting

It was raining the day we left and Because of this there was so breakfast served - strange!!!!

So would not stay here again, would not recommend to anyone else. However I would be interesting to see what it will be like once all the building work has finished

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Firstly I've travelled Asia on a few occassions this being my third stay on Samui and 1st at Nids. I asked lots of questions and advice prior to making my booking and feel that choosing Nids was the right decision.
I feel that I should point out a few things firstly all the rooms were secure with both padlocks and door locks. Yes there are insects but keeping your flyscreen closed kept 99% of them out. Also we received water and a complementary breakfast everyday.
I personally loved my 17 days at Nids we had a good welcome nothing was too much trouble. The rooms had a TV AC and a good shower. I think for the value this is a must!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We booked Nid's online the day before we arrived in Chaweng, and sent an email enquiry asking about trekking activities, to which we received a prompt and friendly response and also a separate email confirming our booking. Off to a good start :)

The email confirmation explained that access to the bungalows was quite restricted and that some taxi drivers refused to drive right to them, so this worried us slightly, as we'd be arriving late at night. We booked a taxi from the airport to take us, and they ensured they would drive us right to Nids, which they did, so we didn't encounter any problems with that at first.

We were slightly disappointed on arrival, as the property looked quite abandoned and run down - not how it had looked in the pictures online. We were shown to the "reception area" by an older Thai lady, who checked us in and took payment from us (which seemed to take forever) and a young girl showed us to our room.

The interior of the bungalow wasn't the quaint little wooden hut I had pictured in my head. Instead we were greeted by rather depressing looking room with no windows, no working lock on the door, linoleum floors and large cockroaches. The bed linen and towels had a musty smell and the velvet pillows and silk cover that resembled a curtain, didn't look particularly comfortable, so I was anxious about the nights sleep ahead.

The Thai lady brought some bottled water and a plate of fresh fruit to our room after about 10 minutes, which was nice - I'm assuming this was Nid, having read other reviews, although I never realised this at the time as her English wasn't particularly good and the emails we had received from 'Nid' were written in very good English - also for some reason I assumed Nid would be a man!

The gardens surrounding the bungalows were a nice touch and probably detracted from the unattractive huts, although the animals within the grounds were nice to see - lots of dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens roaming freely. There were also a couple of cages housing various birds and a water tank containing a rather large fish!

I'm not sure that cleanliness was the issue in the room itself, but I didn't inspect much for fear of what insects I might find - I realise in countries like Thailand that cockroaches are to be expected, but after almost 3 weeks of travelling, this was my first encounter of sharing a room with these creatures and I wanted it to be my last.

We asked Nid about getting into town and she offered us a free lift, which was very much appreciated, as we had no idea what direction to head in. They dropped us off right in the centre and we got a taxi back - this time though the taxi refused to take us the whole way there and we'd made the mistake of paying him upfront after negotiating the fare! At first we refused to get out and insisted that he drove us the rest of the way, however he was about to turn and take us back into the town centre! We got out and walked down the dark narrow, uneven road towards Nid's - which didn't take too long, but could have been intimidating for someone on their own.

We had a terrible sleep, waking several times throughout the night with the pumping loud music coming from a nearby bar, and also the fear that the massive cockroaches would want to cuddle up next to me! Finally from about 6am, we were kept awake by a cockerel in the garden, who didn't let up for a whole 2 and a half hours - we had quick showers (cold) and left as quick as we good - making the excuse that we wanted to leave while the rain wasn't as heavy, as we didn't want to offend Nid.

We arrived at Nid's in the pitch dark and left the following morning in the rain, which probably put a dampener on our experience, however I'm not entirely sure I would have noticed much of an improvement on a gloriously sunny day... We were due to stay in Chaweng for 2 nights, but after leaving Nid's, we walked round the corner to the FX Resort and booked a lovely, clean, modern and bright double room with balcony for only £5 more. Sorry Nid - 10 out of 10 for your kindness and hospitality, but there are far superior places to stay much closer to the town and beach.

Room Tip: Book the FX 5 minutes round the corner, on a proper main road, and only £5 more!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2011

So why should you stay here?
You want somewhere priced very reasonably, comfortable but not over the top rooms and hospitality that is second to none.

Ok first things first,
This is Nid's bungalows, not some 5 star on the beach resort for 10 times the price.
The location of Nid's was somewhat further from the beach than I first thought, however I can safely say this was not an issue. If anything being away from the hustle and bustle was just what I needed!!
Nid herself is very polite, friendly and goes out of her way to ensure you have everything you could need during your stay.
(Again as a comparison to said 5 star resort) the rooms are basic, however the price reflects that. The beds are comfortable, very cold air con and having chooks and ducks wandering around really gives a family, relaxed, almost farm style feel.

Nid and her staff would have to be the most outgoing and friendly people I have met!!

Within a minute of sitting at Nid's seemingly empty bar results in a member of staff appearing, serving you a stupidly cheap beer, music comes on, nibbles and conversation commences.
One day I was walking back from town, one of the staff spots me, puts me on the back of their scooter and drives me back to the bungalows....... for free, no questions asked.
We missed a shuttle around to the other side of the island to catch a ferry, we mention it to the staff, within minutes we are flying down the road in the bungalows' own transport.
I cannot put a price on these moments, but this is where Nid's really does out do the rest.

What else? Free shuttle down to the beach, cheap internet, and amazing meals.

If you want somewhere top notch, do not stay here, goto Ark bar, I stayed there too if you want somewhere to go where you never leave your resort and dont socialise with the staff. However if you want to truely appreciate Kho Samui hospitality and lifestyle, Nid's is your number one choice.

Room Tip: Negotiate the rate and get air con
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Rich Resort Beachside Hotel
Amari Koh Samui
#11 of 104 in Chaweng
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort

Been to Nid's Bungalows? Share your experiences!