“Where's the Reggae?”

Ranked #122 of 189 Restaurants in Chaweng
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Reggae bar used to really bring the Jamaican vibe.,
This is completely gone.. Bar itself is cool, but don't be misled. They play boring top 40 pop music from 2 years ago.

1  Thank Hiwakea
There are newer reviews for Reggae pub

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a place I always intended to visit even before I'd arrived in Koh Samui, 2013 was their 25th anniversary and there was a big celebration there in February.

The place itself is easily visible across the narrow part of the lake from the back of Starbuck's and McDonalds in Chaweng Beach Road. However it's worth knowing that it's only open from 6.P.M. to 3.A.M. so no good for anyone wanting to chill out in the afternoon to some smooth Reggae sounds. Getting there involves walking up Soi Reggae Pub and past the plentiful seedy bars with the scantily clad local women awaiting customers.

Ariving there you're aware that it's actually in two parts with the presumably older part next to the lake. This is more obviously a pub with long bars and lots of casual seating, there's also a stage and dance floor, a snack bar and an upstairs with three pool tables. This was all completely empty when I got there at 7.P.M. although there was music playing a member of staff soon turned up and took our order, two large Singha beers for 400baht. We sat on a sofa near the entrance but soon moved when we realised it was swarming with mosquitos.

We ended up on the other side of the road which is the main eating area and is almost completely open air. It looked to me like an upscale eating establishment with formal seating and neatly manicured gardens including a waterfall and river. There's also a small bar and a souvenir shop selling all manner of reggae/Bob Marley themed products. While we were there a local gutarist/singer was performing, unlikely as it may seem he was doing mostly western rock/pop songs. Also while we were there a couple of minibuses of Japanese tourists turned up, had a meal and left after about an hour. Apart from them I only saw four other customers, easily outnumbered by the number of staff I saw during the two hours we were there.

In summary while I didn't eat there, I struggle to reccomend it as a place to go to expect as a curiosity. The setting and decor are excellent and the place is clearly well looked after too, however the lack of people means that there is no kind of atmosphere, something that I think is essential at a place like this.

1  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was there on the 25th anniversary of the pub 12th Feb 2013
Amazing atmosphere , 2 live bands playing reggae , very nice decorations in the centre of the lake
good lighting and awesome fireworks that day , i was lucky to be there on the pub's anniversary
i did not eat there,so dont know about the food
They had more than required bar counters , so never had to wait to get my drink which is a usual a big events

1  Thank RajanDudeja
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Wow what a cool pub especially obviosuly if you enjoy Reggae. It is a massive pub with high ceilings and lots of space and bars offering good service.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

i can only agree with trevor p enjoy the the music and the drink but avoid the food steak like shoe leather and stale chicken they did knock off those items on the bill and the chips were cold not much better when set back

they do music and drink well but i think they need to get a grip on the food we did not bother to go in the club after this as we felt so let down

2  Thank paulb57