“Great hotel, staff attitude though”
Review of Nora Chaweng Hotel

Nora Chaweng Hotel
Ranked #52 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Nora itself was not bad, stayed there for just one night, unplanned after missing our flight. Despite being upset about missing that flight, and not being in Phi Phi, our perception of the hotel was clear.
New, well presented, clean, comfortable rooms. A decent looking restaurant/bar. The pool lacks direct sunshine, so if you're a in search of sunshine swedish tanning chair diva, forget it. Inner city/concrete jungle modern motel feel to me.

The staff appeared friendly initially but soon were noticeably busting everyone's nuts. Constant complaints and arguments over the reception area with discontented guests while on the internet on the only desktop available (free though). Almost refused to open our door, when we accidentally locked the card inside...
With the prejudice assumption that we were bringing hookers to our room later that night, we were informed a charge of 1000thb would apply. I almost choked. Not open for jokes, not even a smile, when i joked: "what if i get lucky and bring 2 girls, 2000 THB?", the staff just grinned.
They did however, wake up called just as we were packed walking out the door, pack our requested take away breakfast, which when we confirmed the night before, we noticed they had left it unrefrigerated at reception overnight...The whole fruits saved the day though.
Would encourage to look around for similar pricing. One of the newest in chaweng. Others outside chaweng with shuttle bus service might be a better option if you're not fussed with "club life" of samui. Even then, late night taxis are still cheap...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank mozeca

Reviewed December 28, 2010

And now for the review...

We arrived in Samui and had to stay one night as we could not ferry across to koh phangan due to the bad weather condition. We were able to book for this hotel at the airport desk at no additional surcharge. We got a great rate. We were placed in a standard room and this was just perfect. The next morning, the hotel packed us a box breakfast. Due to my debourchurous hangover i didnt quite get the food down.

On our return to Koh Samui after the full moon party we returned to the same hotel for 5 nights.
The hospitality at the front desk was great. Whenever we needed new towels they arrived in 2 minutes. breakfast at the hotel was above standard for this grade establishment
the hotel is a beautiful westernised hotel which i would stay in again and again

only hint is to try not get a room near the road.

all in all a great stay and well recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dazza5
Reviewed October 29, 2010

1) Clean & spacious hotel
2) Clean rectangle pool
3) Near the nightlife street
4) 5 mins walking distance to Koh Samui Beach
5) Trendy Hotel

Nice food & nice nightlife there. Very nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Desjou
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We booked to stay in this hotel 6 months prior they knew our flight was arriving at 10:00 am when we arrived at the hotel at around 10:30am they told us our rooms will not be ready until 2:00pm I was so angry but they offered no compensation or apologies. We stayed for 5 nights and our sheets were not changed once and dirty tissues were left around our rooms. My major problem with this hotel was their laundry service I got 800 baht worth of laundry on one day and the second day I got around 550 baht worth of laundry done. One of our friends staying in the same hotel also got laundry done and she had a rip in the back of her dress, this alerted me to check my clothes, and when I looked at my brand new billabong shorts that cost 70 Australian dollars (around 2000 baht) had a massive rip that was never there before they went to laundry. I spoke to the duty manager of Nora Chaweng who was the rudest lady I have ever spoken to in my entire life. I showed her my shorts and showed her the rip and she started speaking in her language to the other staff members and they were laughing and making a mockery of me. She then said she would ring the laundry service, I then at this point found out that the hotel sends all their laundry elsewhere and I told the lady that I was never informed of this and I was not happy that my clothes had been sent to another location. She continued to ring the laundry service(spoken in her language) she then makes up a fake story that the shorts had been noted by the laundry firm the rip was there. She then got angry at me for blaming then and treated me like I was a worthless piece of [--] and began insulting me and refusing to do anything about the brand new shorts that are now unrepairable. The company finally agreed to let me have the 2nd load of laundry discounted from the total of the bill, 500 baht. She then looked at me laughed and said haha I'm the winner your the loser. I told her I would never stay in a Nora hotel because of the duty manager of Nora Chaweng, I have never been so angry with a hotel branch as I have been with this hotel, I am still expecting a reimbursement for the damage done to my shorts. Not only the laundry incident and the slack cleaning staff, the pool area has a fowl smell of urine and sewage and I would never stay at this hotel ever again!

1  Thank Jay_D_Travel
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This hotel sits on the stretch of Chaweng Road which runs in one direction, and is opposite the Island Resort and Spa. Although it doesn't sit on the beach side of the road, the beach is easily accessible through the alleyways or via the other resorts. At the rear of the hotel are the local eating places for your Thai cuisine, where a Chicken PadThai could set you back abt 50-60Bt.
The hotel is more than adequate for me, as I spent more of my days outside on day trips, laying around on the beach, getting spa treatments, clothes tailoring etc. The Deluxe room on the 3rd floor was clean, with tiled floorings, western toilets, modern basin and taps. Wireless internet in the room was slow, but free. They also supply 2 bottles of drinking water per room per day complementary. The pool downstairs can be seen from the dining area through floor to ceiling glass partitions and doors. It can be thought as cold, but in a humid and hot climate, this can also be a good thing. It might be so good on a cooler and overcast day.
The buffet breakfast has eggs to order, filter coffee and tea, juices, fruits, hot and cold meats, rice and noodles, and breads and cereal. Not a huge selection, but adequate to fuel you. At the height of my stay, there would have been about 30-40 people for breakfast in the morning, which is not too shabby for a small hotel in low season.
The staff were very courteous, typical of Thai people in general. Some spoke better English than others, but not as fluent as westerners, so don't expect any English expertise. If you are really stuck, pen and paper will help, as they usually read and comprehend better than their listening.
The two 7-Eleven is within close walking distance from the hotel, as well as the local bank, where you can get some money changed.
For those going on half day or full day tours, you can wait for the pickup person in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Daveman888
Reviewed July 11, 2010

My 3 girlfriends and I stayed in the suit and it was amazing. The suit really is as big as the photos show. Hugh mirrors great for 4 girls doing their hair and make up. Staff were extremely friendly. Breakfast good but kitchen average and spa way over priced. The other rooms were good if ur looking for just a cozy bed. free wi fi was great as well!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank lana_marie_x
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Stay in this hotel previous weekend during low peak period for 2 nights. Above my expectation being relatively fussy about accomodation. Book through online and no surprises when i arrived to check in at night. Staffs knew what to do and relatively friendly and helpful. Very value for money, clean and relatively new hotel. Location is good for me, during the day time, i walked across and down the small lane into the beach. Not a nice beach but if you keep walking down right, you will reach the nicest spot along chaweng beach. During the evening, you could walk along the shops, restaurants and bars for drinks and dinner. If you are out most of the time and not spending much time in indoor, this is a decent hotel to bunk in and save some money.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple