“Highly recommended”
Review of The Sarann

The Sarann
Ranked #32 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have just returned from a stay at The Sarann and have greatly enjoyed my holidays.
We stayed in one of the pool villas, which have amazing views: it's like being ON the sea! During our stay the weather was a bit stormy and the experience of laying in bed looking at the waves breaking right there behind the pool, was trully unique. The beach is easily accessible from the restaurant, and personally I think that having the rooms a bit away from the beach allows for better views and is also a big boost to privacy since no one stands between you and the sea.
The room was extremely spacious, with fantastic high ceilings, and very well appointed with a large separate living room, and big verandah, huge bathroom and bedroom. The hotel is not brand new but still looks very good, I liked the 'streets' between the row of rooms, very green and pleasant. As of last weekend the restaurant has a new menu, focusing on more authentic local cuisine, which I think is a happy departure from the "watered-down" Thai menus you usually see in international hotel properties.
The staff was extremely graceful and efficient, and overall I had a great time!

Enjoy your stay!!

Room Tip: Invest in the Pool Villas, the view is worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Sarann is full of potential, but lacks in cleanliness, basic up keep, and an ability to resolve issues. We had more than one room at the Saraan, this was not by choice, but rather because of maintenance and basic cleanliness issues.

1st Room: Our first room was one of the jacuzzi suite rooms! the space is great and the in room amenities are acceptable, however that is where the good part ends. Several lights were not working, so I called the front desk and a maintenance man quickly responded. In the process of checking on the lights he was shocked (electrically) and unable to fix the situation. "Alarm bells" began ringing with me at this point and I began to further inspect the room. There was unusual paint stains throughout the room, what appeared to be blood stains on the bed linens, and a general sense of dirtiness. The road that runs behind the hotel is extremely loud as well. I spoke with the front desk staff again and they moved us from our original room of 307 to 311.

Room 2: I began with a general inspection of the room and found all the lighting in regular working order and the bed linens appeared clean. A few vital basics checked off and we began to settle in. I noticed large areas of the closet had not been dusted in what appeared to be months, the toilet room had some sort of grime around the toilet seat, and again large unusual paint stains. My girlfriend resigned to the fact that this was resort was less than ideal and proceeded to attempt a shower. After quite some time of finagling with the shower, neither one of us could get the shower head to work, the shower head and handheld apparatus appeared to be of the lowest quality possible. After a very unsatisfying cleansing ( I use the term cleansing as it was not actually a shower since the shower head did not work at all). I contacted the front desk again and they were very unresponsive to my issues.

It seems that the staff of the Sarann choose to ignore customer issues and brush aside complaints. They did nothing to rectify the issues or offer up other possible solutions or reconciliations. Overall, I would rate the Saraan as poor at best and would not recommend anyone to stay there.

Room Tip: Do not choose the jacuzzi villas or regular rooms as they are near the road and noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hdeschaa
Reviewed December 2, 2013

First impressions, the Sarann appears to be a luxurious resort, with friendly staff and lovely ocean views. We stayed in the Jacuzzi Villa, and upon arrival were greeted with drinks and helpful staff. However, once we settled in, the room began to smell really bad, almost like sewerage. We figured out it was coming from the air con, and the fan also didn't work. So we asked the front desk to fix the problem, but all they did was send someone down to spray some air freshener and light an oil burner. This obviously did nothing, so we requested another room which was provided immediately. Aside from this slight set back, there were no further issues. Breakfast was adequate, however lacked variety and became repetitive. The restaurant was pricey, and drinks were expensive. The housekeeping service was great and thoroughly cleaned the room and replenished it everyday and the tour service desk was outstanding and catered to all our tourist needs. The Sarann is about a 10min drive from the main strip in Chaweng, which meant a 300baht taxi ride each time you wanted to head in, so we highly recommend hiring a scooter at 250baht for 24hrs. It's a lovely resort however does lack something special.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LennyZ14
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our 6 day stay here at The Sarann. We celebrated our 30th Anniversary here. Check in was rather smooth. Staff were very friendly and warm hospitality was experienced throughout our stay. We had booked a pool villa and that was a great choice. The view of Chaweng beach from our room was wonderful. The villa was well appointed, clean and comfortable. Bathroom amenities were more than adequate.
The beach is accessible from the restaurant. All the pool villas are sea facing and atop the rocky area of the beach.
Breakfast spread is good but got tired after the 2nd morning. A daily variation to the spread would have been a welcome.
The pool villas are great but there's a slight bit of 'non-privacy' as we experienced some locals and tourists who aren't guests, fishing just off our villa and then proceeded to walk along the outer perimeter of the pool villas.
Like all hotels there is wear and tear in the rooms and the management should be looking at the little details in maintaining a standard that will push The Sarann up a notch.
Location is great...away from the madding crowd of Chaweng beach. A scooter rental is very much recommended to get around. Chaweng beach is just a 7-10 minute ride away.
On a personal note, even though we mentioned to the front desk about our anniversary celebration there was no concern whatsoever as to our needs for a memorable stay.
All in all we highly recommend this hotel for couples.

Room Tip: Pool villas have stunning views if you don't mind splurging a little.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Koh Samui at The Sarann and had an amazing time. Our first couple of nights were in a jacuzzi villa which was heavenly and the remainder of the two weeks were in a pool villa which was fantastic. The staff are all very friendly, helpful and attentive and the restaurant serves delicious food which a great view over the beach. I look forward to returning to The Sarann and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for a pool villa - amazing views over the sea and very private.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ALHM29
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at The Sarann for our honeymoon just a few weeks ago in the Jacuzzi suite. We were a bit underwhelmed. The location is nice, close to the beach. The drinks around the pool were reasonably priced and the restaurant was pretty good.
The checkout process is a bit strange. The man at the front desk made us wait at the desk so he could actually go and check the room for damages. He then asked for my credit card info again, although I had provided that at check in. The system seems outdated, they had physical files instead of electronic. I happened to glance down at our folder and saw that they had a photocopy of my credit card from check in. This made me very uneasy and I asked him to rip it up, I didn't want my credit card to be visible to anyone who was around the desk.
All in all, it was an okay stay.

Room Tip: Ask for Jacuzzi villas, more privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank toronto_lov
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at The Sarann for 6 nights, for our honeymoon. We booked the Jacuzzi Villa, which was beautiful. Very clean, well maintained & luxurious! The Sarann is located on the cleaner part of Chaweng. Would recommend to stay here if you're looking at a cleaner, less crowded beach. You can rent a bike during your stay, which makes it simpler to travel around. There are lovely massage shacks on the beach. Getting a back massage by the sea is blissful! The breakfast spread was not very innovative though, not was the room service menu. Would not recommend the food there. Full marks otherwise.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple