“IDYLLIC RETREAT”

Ranked #28 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Melbourne, Australia
“IDYLLIC RETREAT”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in newly completed villas which have lovely views of this stunning property, formerly a coconut plantation with plenty of space, in the hills overlooking Chaweng Bay. Delightful owners Valerie & It are so welcoming and their competent and friendly staff Jac & Tai, who we knew from our trip the previous year when we journeyed up one afternoon & enjoyed a fabulous dinner at the restaurant, and a new staff member 'O' attended to our every need. We were there for the wedding of friends who had booked out the Jungle Club and I totally recommend this venue to anyone contemplating a wedding in Samui. The food was delicious and it was lovely to be amongst friends and get to know the other guests. The property is accessible by 4WD and they offer 2 x daily trips down to the beach, but we were happy just to enjoy this magnificent resort, which is so relaxing, and I was delighted to see many butterflys (my favourites) including a huge one which happily took up residence in the bathroom for a day! We were very happy with our accommodation and had friends in the adjoining villa. We left our doors & bi-fold windows open except at night, & with mosquito netting on the bed, had no trouble with mosquitos. There is no air conditioning just fans, but we did not need this at all as there is a refreshing sea breeze which keeps the temperature just right. They have TV, but no reception - DVD only. Breakfast was good and the cocktails & non-alcoholic drinks expertly mixed. The food is delicious and it is so nice to sit & enjoy the breathtaking views of Chaweng. We love this place and can't wait to go back again - total relaxation.
There is more information on their website detailing all of the accommodation available.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I'm going to keep this short and to the point.

This place is bliss. It is the very best if you are looking for some where off the beaten track to relax and unwind.

The views are out of this world. The staff are polite, laid-back and firendly. The cuisine is stunning. The rooms were simplistic and clean. The natural infinity pool is just fabulous.

Time seemed to just stand still whilst we were here.

And guess what....?? Were're going back this year and CANNOT WAIT!!

Well done Jungle Club. Keep up the good work!!! Don't change anything!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Yes you are on a very steep side of a mountain & need to pay extra for your ride up & down the mountain apart from two free trips per day at set times. But the view, the peace & quiet are all worth it! The staff were very helpful & friendly. The pool is an infinity pool & gorgeous. Food & drinks at the restaurant good quality. We had a lodge with private balcony, more pricey but well worth the privacy & views over the bay. Due to these reasons The Jungle Club has the wow factor & we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I've stayed at Jungle Club twic now. The first time I was back packing around Thailand for a few months back in 2009. When I arrived here (I read a small review in Lonely Planet), I came with an open mind and no expectations... From the moment I arrived I was blown away! - I was picked up frm the base of the hills by one of the staff (JZ). After the short journey up through the mountain I arrived at what can only be described as a breathtaking view. The view of Chaweng below is awesome. The archetecture of every building is unique in it's own right and the staff even more so... Jack (the bar manager) is the most chilled and lovely host you could ask for. Val and It the owners are welcoming and professional proprietors, who'll bend over backwards to make your stay a special one. Whether on your honeymoon or just backpacking!

One of the best things about Jungle Club is the staff and the people you meet there. It attracts different people form many walks of life, from backpackers, to families, mid-thirties couples and singles, to honeymooners and retired explorers.. It's truely amazing and that's what gives Jungle Club it's edge. I would never stay in a 5 Star beach resor in Samui ever. This place has the tranquility of the mountains, yet it's close enough to the beach and bars for you to choose between a party night or a relaxed night. I often switched up my days here and went for a party one night, then spent a few days chilling, eating, reading abook and chatting with the people I met there and the staff. In fact I have since becaome close friends with some of the stafv and locals who I met there. They are such genuine and lovely people it makes you think you've experienced real Thai people in a place away from the hustle and bustle of most commercial hotels.

I returned to Jungle club in 2010 and will be heading bthere again in June 2011.

I cannot recommend a better place to stay in Samui. The bar, the restaurant, the massage, the music, the pool (oh the pool!) and the different levels of accomodation for every budget makes this place not only a hidden gem, but I think the hidden diamond of Samui... Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MarcoLearmont
Dublin
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I have such fond memories of this place! I arrived as a solo traveller in December 2010 and was immediately taken aback with the beauty of the surroundings. It really is one of the most idyllic locations imaginable, perched snugly at the top of a steep hill overlooking the Bay of Chaweng. Getting up there is a thrill in itself, as the road meanders steeply up the incline and eventually you arrive amidst the lush green vegetation and palm trees. I was welcomed by Valerie, a wonderfully free-spirited French lady who immediately endeared herself to me with her fascinating life story of how the Jungle Club was born and developed into the paradise it now is. To Valerie: thank you for your kindness, warmth and generosity and for the memories that will live for a long time to come! Thanks to It, Taa and Jack for the laughs we had together. Wonderful people all of them.
The staff are great and love to mingle with the guests and help in every possible way. Food is delicious and keenly priced. I stayed in a Jungle Hut which must be the most unique accomodation I have ever stayed in! The day I left I promised I would return and this is a promise that this Irishman will not break!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Even before we arrived we were made to feel as though wew were going to stay with friends....from the first few minutes it was clear that we had made the right choice and were greeted with warm smiles and cold & colorful cocktails.
As this was our honeymoon, we were naturally concerned to be staying somewhere neither of us had been before....those concerns were overcome immediately and replaced with excitement and we soon realised we were about to have the best holiday we have ever had.

The location of the Jungle Club is truly magnificent....the views from every angle are stunning and the design and layout of the entire place is faultless. Everywhere you look there are natural stones, which rather than be moved to accommodate the buildings/pool etc, are incorporated which gives the whole place a very relaxed and natural feel.

The room was absolutely perfect and offered views of the bay below....a sala and hammock which also made the most of the vista, was outdone only by the fact that we had the same view from our bed...the room was clean, and has a very typical Thai feel, yet had hot running water, a TV and DVD....the balance between traditional and modern was just right and could not be improved upon!

The standout point of the Jungle Club is by far the people who own and work there...the staff are easily the most attentive and customer service oriented of any place I have ever stayed. The music is very fitting for such an idyllic location, and I was also welcome to share music I wanted to hear, which again made me feel as though as at home and not in a holiday resort. Valerie and It, the owners are such a cool couple and are also very involved in making sure our stay was perfect....to the point where Valerie made us sandwiches late at night even though the kitchen staff had finished for the day.

One other thing to note is that the Jungle Club attracts like minded people....and there were always friendly interesting people to hang out with....we made some great friends with whom we will stay in touch with and definitely meet back at the club some day.

There is really not much more to say other than if you are planning a trip to Thailand you really must make time to visit the Jungle Club....

Thank you so much Valerie, It, Jack, Tha, Karin and everyone else who made our honeymoon the trip of a lifetime....can't wait for the next visit, we're aiming for June : )

Matt & Sam Trickett

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
NE Scotland
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The Jungle Club is a pure delight balanced perfectly with it’s incredible natural surroundings. With towering palm trees, a perfect horizon pool and a whole host of places to relax, I had a hard time deciding which gazebo or hammock to chill in, read or just admire the incredible views over the Gulf of Siam which you would never tire of looking at.
I spent four nights initially and then returned for the remaining eights nights of my stay in Thailand as it’s most definitely one of the loveliest places I have come across on my travels.
The staff I can’t thank enough they were excellent and go the extra mile for you to ensure your stay is a good one. Arriving early morning on January 1, 2011, admittedly not the most convenient of times, a pick up service was provided from the airport and we received a very warm welcome on arrival and were immediately impressed by the stunning setting and fantastic atmosphere.
We had a lot of laughs, met great people, enjoyed delicious food and drinks, evening fires and good music with the accompanying jungle beat in this beautiful haven on Koh Samui.
I stayed in a lovely Jungle hut their budget option with all you really need, seating on the veranda out front, comfy large bed, mosquito netting and ensuite shower room. The room was equipped with an excellent safe, large fan and plenty of storage space.
The other accommodation was also beautifully presented with fantastic design detail and each in it’s own space with all the wonderful sounds and landscaped gardens and views to enjoy.
If you can drag yourself away, the hustle and bustle of nearby Chaweng with it’s beach, shops, nightlife, ATM, vehicle hire etc. is easy to reach as the staff provide a great service and are always available to collect you.
The Jungle Club is a real credit to the family and team of brilliant staff who have created the perfect feel for a relaxing holiday paradise. I can highly recommend staying if you have the chance.
Many thanks for a truly fantastic stay and I hope to visit again soon.

Jenny (and Lorna)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort
#44 of 104 in Chaweng
City Dance Hotel
City Dance Hotel
#29 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Jungle Club? Share your experiences!