“5-star excellence with a lot of charm and amazing staff"”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Having stayed at many five stars allover the world, this one is truely a hidden gem. The resort and the rooms are beautiful: stylish elegance mixed with natural touches of wood & lots of lush green following the Asian theme. The pictures are indeed what you will find. If you are looking for a quiet five star resort with incredible staff, this is the place to spend a relaxing holiday by the beach. We would like to give our special thanks to Noi, Kate, Ann, Wit & their supervisor Than for their excellence in service and their heart warming friendlyness. Thai people are very friendly people in general but they all went the extra mile and fulfilled every wish we could possibly have. Contrary to some of the somewhat doubtful reviews, their English was very good indeed. They make a real effort to practice it by learning new words and even do some homework on it in the spare time. Furthermore, we (as well as all the other guests) were adressed by our names from the first day onwards, which made us feel especially welcomed. For dinner we strongly recommend the 'Sky hug' which serves delicious fusion type food in the tree tops, where you dine in candlelight with a breathtaking view and very attentive five star service. In fact we have previously been to many of the finest restaurants on the islands (as recommended in the guides) but this time, we were so happy in the Anatara Lawana, that we didn't want to leave and dined in the resort most nights. In fact we could not imagine why some people went to the noisy, dirty streets of Chaweng (5 min. by Taxi or a 15 min. walk along the street or beach) when they could have had this instead. Many thanks and congratulations to the Management and all the staff! We will definitely come back and recommend this place to all our friends and anyone who appreciates the tremendous effort they go through to make your stay unforgettable. Nadine & Mark from Switzerland.

1  Thank Kopkunka
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2010

Dear Nadine and Mark,

feedback like yours is certainly always very encouraging for my team (and myself) and we truly appreciate it. It is great to hear that all our efforts in providing our customers with a special vacation experience were successful and that you had a fantastic stay with us.

Thank you as well for recognizing some of our staff members in particular and I will ensure that they will be rewarded for their efforts.

It is also good to see that our English training efforts start showing some fruits with improved communication skills.

My team and I will be certainly looking forward welcoming you back to our resort and it would be my pleasure assisting you with any booking arrangements or needs you have.

Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,934)

Reviewed September 22, 2010

Thoroughly impressed. Not often that I say that about a hotel, but having spent a lot of time in hotels across Thailand and the world I can honestly say that the Lawana is just the best place I have stayed in the world. Of particular note is the attention to detail and hospitality of the staff, and the meticulous presentation of the hotel in general.

We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2010

Dear Marklad2020,

thank you very much for this fantastic review and your recognition of my team's efforts to make our guests feel comfortable and relaxed.

I am confident that your review will motivate them even further so other guests can enjoy their hospitality and care.

We are looking forward welcoming you back as well to the Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed September 12, 2010

This was our second stay in Koh Samui, the first being 5 years ago at the Royal Meridien in Baan Taling Ngam and believe me, that was some hotel so we were unsure as to how we'd find the Anantra although the gallery on their official website is certainly very impressive. We stayed at the Anantara for two weeks, hoping to mix it up a little between sunbathing, and getting out and about to see the island.

On arrival, we were seated in reception by an incredibly polite member of staff who gave us an ice cold towel and a glass of cold green tea with ginger which was an absolute godsend with the humidity in Koh Samui being through the roof. We were then shown to our rooms (rooms 305 and 309-Deluxe Rooms with plunge pool, with my family and I staying in 309). The room itself was beautiful, with a four poster bed, a single bed for our little one, and all the typical things you'd expect like tea and coffee, kettle, minibar, tv and dvd player, and a fantastic bathroom which had an endless supply of bath and beach towels along with complimentary soaps, shower gels and shampoo's. The shower is an "outdoor" shower, although this isn't quite as exposing as it sounds-it's actually a lovely experience.

The restaurants are next to the pool area with a beach bar on one side, and the Ocean Kiss Restaurant where you would get your breakfast and other meals, on the other. The staff in the restaurant can not do enough for you, and in contrast to the rather bewildering comment that staff were incompetent, I found the to be extremely friendly, attentive, and very competent at their job. Sure, there are some language difficulties, but I can guarantee you that their English was of a much higher standard than my Thai, and you're in a foreign country-it's not beyond the realms of possibility that english might periodically present a problem for local staff.

I would like also to give a speacial mention to some of the staff who made our stay such a wonderful experience; Wit, who took a shine to our son Matthew, and was incredibly helpful in the Ocean Kiss, Rot, another extremely friendly and helpful member of the restaurant team, but you would also see him around the pool, Dan and Max who were always good fun, Kate and Ann, Coco the chef, who's english was excellent, and San who was always asking whether we were ok and if there was anything they could do for us. Pong who always greeted us with a delicious cup of green tea and ginger for breakfast, and Parn who was also very good at his job. There was also a lovely German girl, Lynn who again couldn't do enough for you.

A huge thank you should also go out to the manager of the hotel, Lars, who we met while we were over there. Lars has clearly put a lot of work into getting the hotel to perform as a 5 star, which I think he's done superbly, but it was interesting to hear some of his ideas for improving the hotel even more. He also recommended some trips out, which we followed, and were delighted with.

The pool is terrific, it's an infinity pool, but there's a real sense of exclusivity and intimacy that you don't get at the all inclusive hotels that we spent a number of years visiting. There is a whicker cabinet by the Ocean Kiss that has more spare beach towels for you, and although you are paying hotel prices for food and drink, it is relative to the area-drinks in the hotel are only as expensive as drinking in a pub over in the UK. Coctails were about £5, but two for one during their happy hour. I had a Thai Bloody Mary which nearly blew my head off, but was stunning. The Sky Hug restaurant is a must-even if you do it just the once-the food was beautiful, and the experience of eating up in the trees is phenomenal.

Feel free to email me should you have any questions about the hotel or the area, but what I would say at this point, is that I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a hotel that is calm, serene, warm and friendly and beautiful with excellent service, and excellent staff. You won't be disappointed.

Paul, Joanne and Matthew.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2010

Dear Paul, Joanne and Matthew,

...what can I say?

Firstly certainly I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and that we have successfully fulfilled all our promises with you and your family. Unfortunately I never had the chance to follow up how you enjoyed my recommended day tours, but I'm glad to read here that they met your expectations and taste.

I will ensure that your comments are shared with our team (as we always do) and that the people you specifically mentioned will receive a special recognition.

Sadly you missed the person behind those fantastic head blowing Thai Bloody Marys (Mekong Mary, by the way) you liked so much, but I am sure Tony will forgive you this over the special recognition of his cocktail creation. Which is actually as well one of my favorite cocktails. Even though I am used to the Thai "spicyness" I experience it as well as a wake up call for my taste buts.

We hope that we won't have to wait another 5 years until we can welcome you back to the island and certainly our Resort. It will be my pleasure showing you which of the ideas we discussed we implemented by then and what else we have been coming up with.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

Our stay here was so great! We stayed in the plunge pool room which was fantastic anytime you want you can go in your own pool. The room was beautiful and the bed so comfortable. The staff here treated us so nice and made us feel very welcome. I highly recommend this resort! There is a restaurant across the road called Little Holland which is excellent the food is great especially the Steak! We went to Little Holland nearly everyday the owners are so nice and make you feel very welcome make sure you get a meal here you will not be disappointed!

Dear MelbourneThailanders,

we are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Plunge Pool rooms and appreciate very much that you shared your experience with us.

Our goal is always to ensure every customer leaves satisfied and with a great memory of his vacation and it's great to hear that we succeeded in your case.

We hope being able welcoming you back one day for another great vacation.

With kind regards

Reviewed September 5, 2010

Just stayed at the Anantara Lawana in Thailand for 10 nights, i can honestly say that this was an amazing and truely wonderful resort and holiday experience.From the begining to the end of our stay we felt welcomed on everyday and the staff did all they could to make our holiday the best ever. The rooms are superb and the tree top restaurant is a must, the restaurant on the resort is first class and the bbq on the beach was a great experience.What i would like to say, the food was lovely if it could have been surved hotter, that would have made it excellent, also the menu could do with more flavour, and more choice.The wine menu was very expensive and the menu did not show the price of the wines by the bottle BUT YOU CAN ASK FOR THAT MENU,as they do have one.An average bottle of wine would cost you about £40.00 which i feel would put people off dinning there.
The lighting in the rooms are low but i fell thats all part of the setup, so shave in the morning chaps! Also the bathrooms are a little hot but the air-con in the bedroom is first class.
I would holiday there again and hope to within the next year or so.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Dear twosteaks,

we appreciate that you have taken the time sharing your feedback with us and are glad to learn that you had an amazing stay with us. It is always very encouraging for my team if they read that they succeeded as we are sharing all TripAdvisor postings with our team members.

We are currently reworking all our menus in the restaurants and will have an additional focus to ensure that items are served hot.

I agree that wine is very pricy in Thailand, unfortunately this is due to the taxing system in Thailand, which considers wine as a luxury product and therefore puts a tax of up to 450% on it.

We would be certainly glad being able welcoming you back to our resort and it would be my pleasure inviting you for a glass of wine upon your return.

Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed in this hotel after a three night stay in Bangkok so we were looking forward to a relaxing seven nights and we were not disappointed.
This hotel is situated away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng and we appreciated the peaceful atmosphere. The swimming pool area and the beach were very nice and there were always sun beds available. The staff were all very friendly.
We stayed in a deluxe plunge pool room which had plenty of space.
We were a bit disappointed with the welcome we received when we arrived at the hotel at 6pm; there were no cold drinks or towels which other guests seemed to get. We were taken to our room which was set up for three guests with a rollaway bed this made the room look crowded so the first impressions of the room were not good. This was sorted out quickly though. The complimentary slippers in the room had obviously been worn by the previous guests and were dirty.
It took a couple of days to get used to the walk down to the restaurant and beach; it was hilly and included at least 60 steps.
The breakfasts were okay.
We had a meal at the Sky Hug restaurant which was very good if not a bit pricey. Before our meal we decided to have a drink in the only bar at the hotel, this was by the swimming pool but it was 7pm so we were not impressed when we were served very expensive cocktails in plastic glasses. We did not drink there again!
The hotel’s website says that it is a few minutes walk from the centre this is not the case. Taxis were readily available though; we paid £4 each way to get to the ‘buzzing’ centre.
Local buses (pick up trucks with a cab on the back) were £2 each way and were a fun way to travel.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but feel certain things could be improved upon.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2010

Dear Shephecj,

thank you very much for the very much appreciated feedback. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay and that you made us aware of areas where we can improve further.

Please accept my apology that we haven't offered you the usual cold towels, drinks and welcome garlands. I discussed this with my Front Office Team and we will ensure to be more consistent with this, as I agree that it makes the arrival just so much more pleasant.

I also reviewed with the Housekeepers your feedback that the slippers appeared to be worn before and would like to apologize for this as well. Usually used slippers which have not been taken by our customers are donated to local charities and should not be reused. I will ensure that this will be better followed.

Even though I understand your desire of having drinks been served in proper glasses, we have to keep serving them in plastic glasses around the pool and beach for the security of our guests. A broken glass around the pool or beach area is extremely difficult to clear completely and often some pieces remain. Those can cause serious injuries to guests which we want to avoid in any case. I hope for your understanding in this point.

Again, I appreciate that you have taken time to share your feedback and providing us with some helpful information. We hope being able welcoming you back to Koh Samui and the Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed September 1, 2010

This review is quite late, but hopefully will help!

We stayed there as a second part of our honeymoon- we were upgraded to the most beautiful room i have ever been in- with a private infinity pool, overlooking the ocean. Without this upgrade, i think it would have been a disaster- but we were very lucky that the hotel manager worked with our concern (we originally booked a shared pool room - but didnt know that 4 other families with children also shared this pool - with NO view ).

The location is not as good as it is not walking distance to the market and restaurants- but in general i suppose that if we were closer we would not be able to sleep- so it was not that bad.

the only bad part is their beach- when we were there they were renovating the hotel next door, and although there was no noise- the ENTIRE beach was gross and there was no way you could walk in any direction.... however the hotel did supply kayak's which we took to the island nearby which was an interesting experience (the island looks as though its 2 min away - but actually took around 30 min!!!!)

the food in the hotel itself is very expensive - we only ate breakfast there (which was not included) but it was a really great breakfast with AMAZING omlettes! we ate out every night on chaweng on several restaurants - the ONLY amazing one a little Italian place that didn't look too fancy but was the best VALUE by far! we also ate at red snapper restaurant which was okay but not as we expected- the service was SUPER slow.

the only other luxurious looking hotel on Chaweng was the Library- but there was no suites and we were a bit scared of the noise we would have at night.

In general- i woud not recommend honeymooners to go to Ko Samui - its more of a single's bar and party area - and the shopping is really not as good as bangkok.

Overall- we loved our beautiful room at Anantara - but dont know if it would be so amazing if we didnt get upgraded!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear 4urluxuryvacation,

better late than never! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and certainly a delayed congratulations for your wedding! My team and I are glad to hear that we have been able to provide you with a beautiful honeymoon experience in one of our Anantara Sea View Pool Villas. (Which you seem having enjoyed so much that you have chosen it as well as your profile picture. Thanks for that!)

We can also confirm that the access to the beach in both directions of the resort is unobstructed by now and accessable to anybody.

As mentioned in responses to previous reviews, since your stay in January we have revised our food menus and lowered the pricing. I am confident that the new menu is providing great value for money and will ensure an even more enjoyable stay.

Thanks again for staying with us and my team and I are looking forward welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future, for maybe the one or the other Wedding anniversary.

Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
#2 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!