I went to Koh Samui with my wife for our honeymoon so a lot was riding on our stay in Anantara. This will be an honest review just like all my other ones. I am not one of those people who mark places down over small things so I'll mention why it got 4 rather than 5 stars from me personally.
Our first impressions weren't that great and this is the reason why, We got to the hotel around 1430 or 1500 hours on a typical hot day. We were met by staff who took our bags and left them at the front then walked to reception. While there we had to pass our details as you do and wait for whatever the lady was doing. We were told our room was ready so we were getting a bit frustrated that it was taking a while to do whatever it was.. but what annoyed us is that a couple opposite of us got welcome drinks and a towel to cool off, we did not get anything. At first we thought maybe they won an award or something and are being treated differently however we went past reception a few times in the 7 nights we stayed there and all new comers had a welcome drink.. not sure why we did not get one? I know it is just a drink but it's the principle and first impression that make a big difference. The second thing that annoyed and put us off straight away is that the lady dealing with us tells us that there is a room not being used, which is bigger and better than what we booked if we want to upgrade.. we felt a bit like we were put on a spot as if our room isn't good enough for a honeymoon, which she was aware of. We asked how much thinking it'd be maybe £200 max which we might have considered but it ended up being around the same price we paid for our room.. £900 or so extra. We said we can not afford it to which she asked me how much I can afford and that she can check with the manager.. i don't know about other people but we just spent a lot of money on our wedding so to make us feel like we aren't good enough for that room and can not afford it on our first 10 minutes there is not ideal. We already felt stressed.. to make matters worse after being dropped off in our room which was 8 min or so walk to the beach and breakfast every morning, our bags did not arrive till an hour later. We called twice for an update but nothing..
Now, everything that happened after those two weird hours we checked in was great. The room was pretty cool, a private pool.. can't really not like that, however the room had its faults. We only had two mosquito nets on each side of the bed but nothing to cover the other two sides and the top thus making it useless and we got eaten alive every day. The toilet/shower is open to the outside so whenever you need to use them you will most likely get bitten.. now i know it looks cool but not ideal in a place like that where there are so many insects. I've stayed in places more open to insects but we were provided with great protection and did not get bitten once unlike here.
These are the only bad things.. there are a lot of good. The breakfast buffet is amazing.. so many options you can not get bored. We never once felt sick from any of the food. The main pool is really nice and never was too packed... the lady on our check in said it was high season hence why we got a room so far away from everything but it did not seem like it to us.. it was never busy in the pool or breakfast area in the morning. Not according to what she said anyway. We did not use the pool bar because we thought the prices were a bit too much personally but I understand that it's what hotels do.. I don't agree with it but that's life. You can get a cola for 10 baht just opposite of the hotel from a shop.. while there it costs 8 times more.. same with cocktails and food in general. There is an awesome place called The Dusk where you can have an amazing tasty meal made from the heart by a nice family for the price of one meal in the hotel... I suggest doing that personally unless you like to waste money and show off.
The beach was also a massive disappointment. I read some of the bad reviews on the hotel and they hit it with a nail when they said it was dirty. I came across a lot of broken glass and bottles that could have caused bad damage to my foot. They were never cleaned the whole 7 nights I was there either.. if you walk further to the left from the hotel beach however and go further down.. you will come across a nice sandy beach but we are talking 20 min walk. The beach is surrounded by lots of rocks and an island so a lot of dirt and what not unfortunately. It is quiet though unlike the lower side of Chewang where people party and have sandy beaches.
The staff were very friendly and they even had a meeting with free cocktails and canapés, which was nice and unique. We met one of the managers and he was nice plus some of the staff. By then i started to forget about or crap intro on the first day and started to like the place more. They even set up screens for the world cup which was really sweet and nice of the staff at night time.. I am talking around 11pm to 5am. I might have said a lot of small bad things about the place but in general it is a great spot... 10 or less from the airport, 5 min from the busy side of chewang for 100 baht for two people on those van/buses. Go down and explore.. the food is cheap and tasty down there.. cocktails for as little as 80 baht or 100 baht on happy hours.
Overall, the incident when we first checked in nearly spoiled our honeymoon experience but they easily made up for it in many ways. I'd recommend it :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the quiet, pristine northern end of Chaweng Beach, Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort & Spa offers peerless luxury Koh Samui accommodation just steps away from the ocean. Watch the sun rise over Samui’s palm forested coastline. Recline in rooms and suites inspired by the island’s original Chinese merchant settlers. Experience the perfect romantic dinner for two in a setting of your choice, accompanied by the freshest international cuisine.With room sizes starting at 61 square metres, Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa provides leading island resort accommodation. From the luxuriously appointed rooms and spacious Koh Samui pool villas to the resort’s communal facilities and restaurants, each guest is treated to the finest in services and amenities. Take a dip in the beachside infinity edge pool, dine in our treehouse restaurant overlooking the bay, or keep in touch with friends back home thanks to free Wi-Fi throughout the resort.While Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort & Spa’s location is quiet and tranquil, the buzz and excitement of Chaweng Beach lie just around the corner, with an array of international restaurants and local shops to take care of your every need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Lawana Hotel Chaweng
- Lawana Hotel Bophut
- Lawana Resort Bophut
- Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand