“Paradise”

Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Gold Coast
“Paradise”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Anatara Lawana in Koh Samui for our honeymoon. After one night in the busy and bustling city of Bangkok, Anatara was a welcomed relief.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a delicious drink and from start to finish during our stay the service was impeccable.

We were offered an upgrade on our room for a small cost and after viewing our original room and the upgrade we could not refuse! We would have been quite disappointed with our original booking of the 'Deluxe Plunge Pool Room' because it did not offer the privacy that you imagine when staying in a room with a private pool. These rooms are set on the side of sloping hill and the room we were meant to stay in was on the lower side of the hill and above our room and pool was another room with a balcony that over looked our pool. After seeing this room we were shown to the 'Seaview Pool Villa'. The room was so amazing you couldn't even compare it to the other rooms!

We stayed in the Anatara Seaview Pool Villa and were amazed at the room, private pool and view! It was picture perfect- everything you could hope for when on a honeymoon or romantic getaway!

The food was amazing! The beach was pretty! The room and private pool were definitely our favourite part of the whole experience. I would definitely pay the extra again for the privacy that the Seaview Pool Villa offered.

We paid a bit extra and had a private dinner set up on the beach infront of the hotel which was incredible! The sort of things you see on the movies or advertisements for romantic places. It really was a magical place!

Sadly, the city or town of Koh Samui is nothing special, in fact, we found it quite sad leaving the luxury of the resort. As soon as you step out onto the street, there is rubbish, terrible sewer like smells combined with the poverty. We ventured out a couple of times to see the town and to get suits made for my husband (the resort will recommend somewhere that is legit- make sure you go through them, you pay a bit more but they won't con you!). We were always relieved to see our resort again.

Room Tip: Anatara Seaview Pool Villa = AMAZING! Very private! Be careful with the other rooms that you don...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjc08
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear mjc08,

Congratulations on your honeymoon again and thank you for chosing us as your honeymoon resort!

In defense of our Plunge Pool rooms I have to say that the comparison to an Anantara Sea View Pool Villa is a bit unfair considering the price difference ;-) Nevertheless, I can assure you that any privacy concerns in our Plunge Pool rooms are quickly addressed in case they should occur. Usually visually a privacy is given.

I’m also happy to hear that you enjoyed our special Dining by Design on the beach and had a dinner you won’t forget so easily!

My team and I are looking forward welcoming you back to our resort.

Lars Kerfin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is one of the best hotels we stayed at in Thai land.
The staff is outstanding in attending to service call. The break fast was just on the beach along with the beautiful infinity pool.
however they do not have the hard bedding for people with back problems.

Room Tip: The one with terrace has the better view , you get the airconditioned room yet have the previlege of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Zulfiqar2014,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back and we would be pleased to arrange you a hard mattress for that next stay.

aussie returning
Reviewed April 15, 2014

There is so much you can't learn - even from TripAdvisor.

We booked a room with a plunge pool. It was SO far from the room to the main restaurant and beach, especially when my wife was unwell. We walked there [downhill] and the hotel, on request, sent a buggy to bring us back to the room].

I asked about a room closer to the restaurant and we were asked if we wanted to pay for an upgrade.

The food was well presented but the range not five star.

The room was well air-conditioned and that was obviously appreciated. But is was also a little small and lacked storage. it would have been nice to have had a chest of drawers to put our clothes in. It would have been GREAT to have somewhere to sit other than on the bed.

To be honest the Amari seemed better - and we visited friends there.

But two major positives. Thank you for the early check-in. And thanks to the kind hearted staff that seem to be everywhere in Thailand.

Room Tip: If you are older or infirm, check the rooms closer to the pool, beach and restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Comparisons
Dear Comparisons,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your feedback with us.

During your stay in April we have experienced some periods with very high occupancy which made it difficult to move rooms if a location was not meeting someones expectations. I am glad to see that my team still offered you options, even though they were only possible in higher room categories at additional charge.

I am also glad to hear that our priority of high quality food products was to your satisfacton but was surprised that the variety did not meet the same, especially when considering previous reviewers comments. We are always glad about any constructive feedback and I am confident that if there were any items that you’ve been missing in our restaurants that my team would have made all efforts to make them available to you on short notice.

The same accounts for your request of additional storage space that we would have happily provided in your room upon your request.

Thank you as well for complimenting my team which I certainly will share with them.

We hope being able welcoming you back one day and work together with you addressing your comments prior your arrival.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is probably my favourite hotel that I have stayed at and I would love to return in the near future.

The staff were fantastic, the hotel was beautiful, in an idyllic and convenient location. My stay only included breakfast but the food was lovely and there was a wide variety on offer. The pool and beach area included sun loungers and beds and the rooms were beautiful and very romantic (even with mosquito nets which only added to the romantic setting).

It was the little extra touches that really made this hotel special, like the cold towels and complimentary ice pops around by the pool and beach, the mini waterpistol provided for Songkran, the daily weather update left by room service and the fact that the staff cannot do enough and seem to genuinely want to provide excellent customer service was lovely. During our stay we were also invited to a cocktail evening to meet the management team, which was a nice start to an evening with the complimentary drinks and massages and also a chance to talk about the hotel and find out more about the island and recommendations from people who live in the area.

We also attended the beach BBQ night where we had tables set up on the beach, a live band and a fire show and then ended the evening setting off lanterns.

The area was lovely, as it is a short walk from Chaweng and within a taxi ride from the Fisherman's village, which I would definitely recommend and after a busy evening of shopping and eating, we found a lovely beach side bar called Coco Tams, where we sat on the beach on bean bags, with cocktails and watching the fire show.

On our last day feeling very sad to leave the resort, we were awaiting our travel companies car to take us to the airport. It failed to arrive and the hotel staff immediately stepped in and kindly arranged a transport to take us to the airport so that we did not miss our flight. It was Songkran at the time and they had a parade to organise but the hotel still put us first and this service was truly outstanding.

My only suggestions for improving the hotel would be a little more light in the rooms as in the evening even with all the lights on, it was still quite dull and that there was not a great deal of storage space, being only 1 wardrobe with a draw underneath (being me, I had a large number of outfits - my boyfriend lived out of her suitcase)

I will be recommending this hotel to friends and family and have already suggested as a honeymoon destination for a friend next year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Franvid147,

Being rated as one of your favorite hotels is motivating us even more to deliver the best possible experience for all our guests. Thank you very much for sharing this on TripAdvisor.

During the Songkran Festival the traffic situation in some parts of Samui are turning really crazy and I hope that you haven’t been too upset with your Travel company. I wouldn’t really blame them for this and we see it as a logical behavior to support each other.

Coco Tam in Fisherman’s village is one of my personal favorites as well and I can only recommend it too.

Thank you as well for the suggestions which we will consider in our upcoming room upgrades. Please ensure that you contact me directly for your next visit and give my details to your friends so we can help arranging their honeymoon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 10 night stay at the Anantara which is quite possibly one of the nicest hotels I've ever visited! The 'associates' are the most helpful, polite and genuine hotel staff I've ever met and I couldn't fault anything at all at the hotel! On arrival at night, the entrance was lit up with fairy lights and the complimentary drink and cold flannel couldn't have been more welcoming after 16 hours of travel! We upgraded to a pool room which shares a private pool with 3 others and has an 'outside' shower, the air conditioning was great as April is the hottest month! Service was fantastic with big fluffy towels, slippers and robes and little extra gestures that made it extra special, the temperature for the next day and wishes of sweet dreams left for you each evening as part of the turn down. Food was excellent, we had booked bed and breakfast, which ranged from continental, full English to Thai and much more. We had dinner in the Ocean Kiss restaurant on two occasions and food was delicious and reasonably priced, but there are so many great eateries in Fisherman's Village and around that we went out most evenings to try the local catch of the day or Thai specialities! The Hotel is about a 15 minutes walk from the main strip of Cheweng, which was fab for us as it's a little too lively to stay in! I much preferred Fisherman's Village which has a great street market on Fridays and great restaurants! The Hotel Spa is more expensive than the local massage places but has more of a Spa ambience, however the local massages are just as good and much cheaper. The 'public' pool is lovely with a view of the beach and pool service and we went down there most afternoons to catch the last of the sun! I really haven't got anything negative to say about the Anantara, I'd go back in a heartbeat!!

Stayed April 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your detailed and positive feedback here on TripAdvisor. A very encouraging review indeed.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back soon. Feel free contacting me directly for your next booking.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon and we wish now we spent the entire trip there. The people, food, accommodation everything about the place was amazing. The tree top dining was a once in a lifetime experience. The spa was fantastic we really did feel like royalty the entire trip I would go back in the blink of an eye. We were the first to try the camp fire dinner, sitting on bean bags on the beach front cooking meat on the fire was amazing and an experience that we have never had anywhere and one we could never have at home. It's not only amazing for honeymooners but families too whatever holiday you are seeking the staff go to every effort to make it happen. I can't say enough how fantastic our trip was. We will always cherish the memories from this holiday and the people and friends we made.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Melindah7,

Congratulations again for your recent wedding. I’m glad to hear that we have been able to add a special touch to your honeymoon experience.

Thank you for sharing your feedback here and pointing out as well that the beachside camp fire experience that we have just introduced recently was such a wonderful experience for you. We always strive coming up with new ideas how to add the extra special touch to a vacation and it is certainly very encouraging to hear when we succeeded.

My team and I are looking forward welcoming you back to Samui hopefully soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Anantara Lawana is my most favorite resort at all time in Koh Samui! All staff are just fantastic, friendly with great service mind. Private Pool Villa is amazing and is a top choice if you are looking for tranquil and relaxing place to be, nice privacy for your little fun time.

Breakfast at Ocean Kiss is awesome with nice varieties, certainly focusing on the good quality and not the quantity. Stunning view of the morning ocean with a good cup of coffee. Do not miss out the fresh fruit juice which offer when you enter to the restaurant as it is so refreshing to start your day!

Dinner at Tree Top is a must to try!! With its unique set up and romantic atmosphere (if you are not a couple, you can still go solo, with family or with your friends to enjoy this amazing place! The staff there are great to take care of you!). My favorite dishes are Wagyu beef tenderloin and Veal cheeks. They are soooo good especially with the recommendation of the Salt Guru! (who would have thought that different kind of salts would give an extra kick to the taste for each different dish!). Hint: do not eat too many homemade bread that they serve on the table while waiting for your dishes coz you will not be able to stop!

Can't wait to be back there again! :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear kistiii,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to hear that our Pool Villas made your stay that enjoyable and that we have been able to get on your top favorite list!

Please feel free contacting me directly should you wish to return to our resort and I will be taking care of your booking personally.

Lars Kerfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#2 of 104 in Chaweng
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!