We stayed at this resort in June for a week. We were greeted upon arrival at the airport by an our pick-up. The hotel is literally less than 10 minutes from the airport so we were happy to be there soon.
We arrived and were not greeted at the entrance by anyone. We walked up to the main area, where we were greeted by a receptionist, sat down and given a drink and a cold towel. Very quickly the formalities started. We decided that we wanted to upgrade our room, and she was very helpful in organising that for us - so we ended up upgrading to a sea view pool villa suite! We did stay for the first night in the basic rooms - these are very small and dark and frankly we felt we needed the space and light and couldn't wait to move to our villa.
The villa is spacious with a living room, bedroom and large bathroom with both indoor and outdoor shower. The pool area has two sunbeds and a separate lounge/deck area too. Overall it is okay, but compared to other villas in Phuket, Bali etc, I felt the standards were low.
The maintenance of the room needs serious improving. The bathrooms have stone floors and walls which look worn out and are clearly difficult to clean. The rest of the furniture looks tired, the cushions look like they haven't been washed in ages. The outside decking is okay but a bit wobbly. I could see why this had happened - during our stay the housekeeping girl who was very sweet, came alone to clean the villa. In other resorts we have stayed at, there is normally a team who does a villa given how much there is to clean. She literally changed the sheets and towels, did a quick sweep and dust and left. On numerous occasions we found things still unclean. I did raise this with a receptionist one day, and she said she would look into it. In the whole week we were there, the floor was not mopped/washed once. The pool also wasn't cleaned, and I was told by the receptionist that it is 'self-cleaning' but it looked a little unclean to me. The areas around the pool were littered with metal bits etc, which on the one day when the gardners did come, they swept everything into the bushes.
Anyway, we didn't let this spoil our holiday.
We had breakfast at the main restaurant every day. Warning - its outside and gets very hot.
The breakfast spread was not bad. It was not that well maintained, and the service was totally inconsistent! One day we would get showered with teas and coffees and the next we had to wave and shout for someone to come over to get a coffee. Plates were never cleared from our table, it took forever, and given the number of flies around I had to keep asking for someone to clear them. The waitresses were standing around chatting and didn't seem to bothered with service. We ended up with a table near the kitchen a few times, and I saw how the food was being brought out. One day I saw a kitchen had with a whole slab of Brie cheese, open, and lying on a bunch of packs of butter, all being held against her apron - suffice to say I didn't touch the cheese after that!
We used the main pool area a few times. It has a great view, and lots of sunbeds, but little privacy as they are all very close together. We didn't use the beach much. The service at the pool is excellent, someone coming straight over to help you with a towel and get you a drink.
The most disappointing part of our stay was that we were never once asked by management or front of house staff, how our stay was going, and if they could do anything. I was really keen on ringing the GM to give the above feedback in person, but frankly I didn't want to cause a fuss on holiday. However, given that we were staying in one of the top villas, I would expect a courtesy call from someone to check in on us....that is pretty much the norm in most hotels of this standard.
Finally, this hotel has ALOT of steps, good for exercise though, perhaps not for pushchairs etc, and the golf buggys don't make it all the way to the villas.
The location is great. We rented a scooter and rode around the island, seems to be the easiest/cheapest way to get around. I have reviewed many restaurants as well.
I know many people have raved highly about this resort, and frankly it is a good 4 star resort and value for money. But if you are looking for luxury, amazing service and food - this is not it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the quiet, pristine northern end of Chaweng Beach, Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort & Spa offers peerless luxury Koh Samui accommodation just steps away from the ocean. Watch the sun rise over Samui’s palm forested coastline. Recline in rooms and suites inspired by the island’s original Chinese merchant settlers. Experience the perfect romantic dinner for two in a setting of your choice, accompanied by the freshest international cuisine.With room sizes starting at 61 square metres, Anantara Lawana Resort & Spa provides leading island resort accommodation. From the luxuriously appointed rooms and spacious Koh Samui pool villas to the resort’s communal facilities and restaurants, each guest is treated to the finest in services and amenities. Take a dip in the beachside infinity edge pool, dine in our treehouse restaurant overlooking the bay, or keep in touch with friends back home thanks to free Wi-Fi throughout the resort.While Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort & Spa’s location is quiet and tranquil, the buzz and excitement of Chaweng Beach lie just around the corner, with an array of international restaurants and local shops to take care of your every need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Lawana Hotel Chaweng
- Lawana Hotel Bophut
- Lawana Resort Bophut
- Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort Ko Samui/Chaweng, Thailand