“Great resort!”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
“Great resort!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We are very glad that we chose the Anantara Lawana, the location is perfect, away from the hassle and bustle of chaweng but close enough to join in.
We stayed at on of the pool Acces Villas which I can really recommend, the pool is approx 20 x 7 meter... You may have to share the pool with 4 villas, but in our case we had it for ourself for most of the time...what a dream! The room has everything you may need, sat. TV, DVD player, a minibar filled to the rim..a huge bathtub, a small room for your suitcases and clothing. Outside is a private sala and 2 very comfy sun loungers..
Only complain may be that watching TV is not so easy with the bedposts always obstructing the view.
The breakfast is served at the ocean kiss restaurant ( beautiful location) the variety of foods (for all nationalities) as well as the service was always amazing ...
The front of house staff are all extremely friendly and very helpful so where the ladies cleaning our room twice a day. Overall a fantastic resort!

The Anantara vacation club in short AVC......

While busy checking in we where approached by a very friendly lady who invited us for a 90 minutes presentation with a reward of baht 4000 voucher, on my question if this is a timeshare presentation she politely denied it and told us it is for the anantara vacation club, something different!
The next day we got fetched by a limousine and brought to the AVC centre located at Bophut beach. So far so good!
An extremely friendly Malaysian lady started a sales talk (no hard sale) where we immediately realized that this is timeshare. I told her strait away that we are not interested to make a long time (being already 57) commitment till 2040 and as well that any bigger financially commitments should also be handed by my accountant. Which was ignored from then on.
After around 1,5 hours sweet talk an English manager came and introduced himself, drawing some numbers on a piece of paper and told us that we have to sign immediately (for a US$78.000.00 deal or pay a deposit of US$ 7700 immediately than US$600 every month for the next 10 years only but the contact would run till 2040)
As this is a special offer and is only valid now! When I asked if I can take his calculation home to check it out as this is a vast sum of money for anybody, he denied and told us that we are not allowed to take the Brochure nor the calculation home! There were a couple red flags that went up immediately.
The first was when we were told the purchase of any upper elite tier packages was only available the day of the presentation. The second and final deal breaker was that we never actually got any type of contract to review prior to them wanting the 10% deposit paid with no credit checks done etc.. The final red flag was that he also asked us, when we wanted to leave, that if he reduces the overall price significantly would we consider paying a deposit!
Needless to say, We did not go through with the purchase. It was just too fishy!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Petkyte
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Petkyte,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing this wonderful review. We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your vacation and that we’ve been able to play a great part of it.

In regards of your comments regarding the Anantara Vacation Club I have forwarded your comments to them as they are a different business unit to us and operate independently from our resort. Please see in the following the response of Robert Martini, Vice President of Sales Anantara Vacation Club:

“Dear PetKyte
Firstly I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of Anantara Vacation Club and also thank you for your valuable comments . Anantara Vacation Club is known as a Shared Ownership luxury leisure product which is indeed different to the ‘traditional’ timeshare weeks based system, as it is underpinned by a highly flexible Points based ownership system offering its over 3000 Club Owners many usage options which the traditional timeshare model does not. Having said that Shared Ownership Points Clubs are a form of timeshare designed to meet the needs of today’s consumer lifestyles. The promotional representative should have advised you of this at the time. We are addressing this issue thru counseling with the person concerned.
Anantara Vacation Club offers consumers two types of Club Ownership. Firstly there is “Basic Ownership” package which varies in costs depending on the number of Points acquired and can be purchased at any time. The other Club Ownership package offered is the ‘Elite Ownership’ which has 4 differing categories all varying in costs depending on the tier level & number of Points acquired. ‘Elite Ownership’ carries with it significant additional benefits & privileges that are made available only on our guests first presentation visits.
In relation to your preview presentation I am also addressing with the representative concerned your experience as it appears they were not clear on pointing out the differentiation between the ‘Basic & Elite’ packages and also that the costs do vary dependant on the Ownership tier and number of Points acquired these factors would have influenced the cost reduction mentioned to you thru an offering of lesser Points presented to you as an alternative.
Thank you again for your valuable input as this allows us to improve our service delivery.”

With best regards

Lars Kerfin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We spent the first week of our honeymoon in this amazing hotel and from start to finish the experience was utterly amazing. Upon arrival (after 30 hours of travelling!!) we were greated by a bottle of champagne and an amazing chocolate cake in our fantastic room for our honeymoon which was a really nice touch. The room was amazing, aircon was perfect, big flat screen tv and quirky outdoor shower and toilet. We had booked a room with a plunge pool, and I am so glad we did, as every evening before bed was spent chilling out by the pool with a drink from the bar. The setting of the hotel is more like a village than a hotel and just walking around the ground on the way to the pool or restaurant was a pleasure. I have never in all my life come across hotel staff so helpful, nothing was ever too much trouble for any member of staff and sometime they even knew what we wanted before we knew ourselves!! I simply cannot praise the staff here enough, in particular Yat and Alex in the Oceankiss restaurant and M by the pool for my 12 O'Clock bottle of Asahi every day!! We had dinner every night in the oceankiss restaurant which is a testament to how good the food was. For my birthday we has dinner in the treetops restaurant, which was amazing and the staff even had a birthday cake prepared for me!!! We also had dinner on the beach, one night with amazing food and traditional Thai entertainment. I only have 2 regrets about staying here 1)that I didnt get to shake the managers hand and thank him for our amazing stay and 2)having to leave, but we will be back without a doubt!!

Room Tip: Book a room with a plunge pool!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear hannigan007,

To say it in your words: Wow… what a review! Very much appreciated.

You can rest assured that your compliments are being shared with the team members you pointed out to us and I am sure they will be very happy to hear this.

My sincere apology that we seemed having missed each other during your stay and I hope I can help you overcoming your regrets by saying that I also appreciate this virtual handshake and will be delighted being of assistance to book your next vacation with us. Please contact me directly under LKerfin@anantara.com and we can have the next Asahi beer together at the pool. (I might have to stay outside of it, my apology in advance!)

Looking forward seeing you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Spent 5 days there. Everything was just perfect. The staff where brilliant. The food was fantastic. I am re-booking to go there in October. The plunge pool was the go. The weather was very hot but have a dip and it is all good.I have travelled a lot and I can highly recommend this property. Meals at the pool bar where great and the staff happy and looked after us very, very well. Go for it!

Room Tip: I am sure you want go wrong with plunge pool room. You can call 2 and get the guys to pick you up an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mary N N
Dear Mary N N,

We appreciate your compliments and are delighted to hear that you are rebooking already again.

Please feel free getting in touch with me directly under LKerfin@anantara.com to organize this trip for you.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed in a Deluxe room. Room is spacious and very well equipped and clean. Service at both the restaurant and poolside is excellent. Hotel is built on a slope, so be prepared to do a bit of climbing up and down stairs. The beach in front of the hotel is not suited for swimming. Better to take a 15 mins walk to the southern part of Chaweng where the beach is much better.

Dear jslau,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and the review you’ve been sharing on TripAdvisor.

It is correct that the last couple of days with a very strong low tide and the dry season swimming were limited during the day for a couple of hours. The good news is that the water levels are improving daily and should return back to normal within days.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had a great stay at anantara for 3 days.it was our family holiday.the staff were very courteous, attentive, freindly.the rooms were awsome.the open air bathrooms were great.the jacuzzi plunge pool was great.the breakfast spread was huge.enjoyed the daily smoothies,coldcoffees.truly enjoyed the tropical fruits.the welcome drink was mind blowing.

The hotels grounds are beautiful. The cabanas at the pool were so relaxing.the infinity pool was tooo gud.couldnt get out from that place.

Kohsamui is great.anantara has made our family holiday truly special.cheers anantara.looking forward for anantara dhigu Maldives

• Stayed June 2013
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear shashankvuppala,

Thank you very much for this wonderful feedback. We are glad to hear that we have obviously turned you into an Anantara fan and my colleagues at Anantara Dhigu will ensure that you are well looked after as well.

Mui Ne, Vietnam
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We recently spent one night in Anantara Lawana on Koh Samui, as we wanted a change from our own smaller neighbouring island. Staff were welcoming and attentive from arrival, our toddler was asleep when we arrived, and even though our villa was just a short walk from reception we were taken in the buggy to reach their comfortably and quickly to put the baby in bed. Our room was very comfortable and light ; best of all was the large outdoor living area with a sala. We enjoyed the bar, pool, beach and the breakfast (taken in the restaurant overlooking the sea) both service and food variety/quality were excellent. Overall we enjoyed our stay tremendously and would definitely return if we decide to visit Samui again.

Room Tip: Deluxe Pool Access rooms are great for outside space especially if you are travlling with more than...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Ola B,

Thank you very much for you recent visit. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your little family breakout and that we succeeded in providing you with a good experience.

We are looking forward welcoming you back soon.

New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My partner and myself have just come back from the anatara lawana, what can i say! this place was absolutely fantastic. as an avid fan of trip advisor i had researched this place for quite some time before choosing. we were not dissapointed. we were picked up by resort transport and the service from that moment until we left was outstanding. we stayed in a plunge pool room, the room was spacious, bathroom unique we loved the outdoor shower/toilet, knowing this is not for evryone but we loved it. the outdoor area was more than big enough for two people and we loved getting up in the morning having a swim. we used the plunge pool so well worth the money we paid. the whole resort we found was very clean, the staff could never do enough for all its guests and management should be very proud of them. the breakfast for us was awesome and lots of variety. never had problem getting a sun lounge around pool but we went between pool and beach so we were happy with both. beach lovely and clean staff very attentive to guests but not intrusive. we loved the fact staff would bring around little treats by pool or beach once again wonderful service. i had booked tree tops 1 month in advance as wanting high table this was to celebrate my partners birthday. i had previously asked them in an email if they could organise a special desert for my partner. tree tops was amazing we had the high table food was superb and to my surprise they delivered a birthday desert for my partner. once again service outstanding. tree tops was expensive, myself and my partner dont normally go in for 5 star dining but to us it was well worth it, we cannot rate it highly enough. the resort was about 30 minute walk into centre of town but we enjoyed it. there was always transportation going by resort to take you into town or where ever you would want to go. Me and my partner loved this place and highlly recommend it for anyone. I had read some reviews
that were not favourable, i honestly can say i did my research and never once was dissapointed in any aspect of this resort.

Room Tip: we had room 433 it suited us nicely
Dear ann-margret m,

A truly amazing review which is very much appreciated by all of us at Anantara Lawana! Thank your sharing it here and for having stayed with us.

Hopefully we will be able welcoming you back soon.

Lars Kerfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#2 of 104 in Chaweng
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!