“Luxury, but without the service to match”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Anantara, a bit of an enigma.

The facilities, including plunge pool, are fantastic - the outdoor pool has the perfect beach frontage, and the poolside kitchen did a great burger. The beach itself however, is very rocky, and not the sort of place you would want to lie and sunbathe.

A lack of personal service, as well as a lack of specially trained concierge staff stands out as a weakness in comparison to the attention to detail afforded at some of its larger competitors. This is not to say however, that the staff were impolite. As you can come to expect in Thailand, service was always provided with a smile.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Pegasus2013,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and especially our facilities (and beachside burgers).

My sincere apology if our service hasn’t reached it’s usual high standards. I will certainly review your feedback with the team and ensure that we are more consistent on this, as you can read in other reviews the frequent compliments about the level of service the team delivers.

Thank you for staying with us and we would appreciate having the chance serving you again.

With kind regards

Lars Kerfin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent stay.

Every day got good start with great breakfast and the loveliest breakfast staff. Out of our 5 nights at Lawana, we ate at their Tree Tops restaurant only twice but that was simply because Chaweng's great restaurant selection was just few minutes away.

If you are into swimming, the location isn't great but it was quiet and only 10 mins walk from the busy Chaweng center where all the action from shopping to all night parties took place. They also arrange a lot of trips around Samui's sights but if you are experienced driver, just rent a car or scooter, crap a map from the hotel, get few recommendations and enjoy cruising around island - really easy & enjoyable!

The room was also very beautiful and well kept, good place for honeymooners! Huge thanks for the wonderful maid who was always so corteus and did perfect job clearing our room from the beach sand.

Thanks! We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear youme2520,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful feedback with us here on TripAdvisor.

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and we are all looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We travelled with our teenage children and two other families to celebrate my 50th birthday. We were thrilled with the resort and really can't fault it in anyway. Each couple had their own Deluxe Pool Access Villa & the kids had a Deluxe Room between two, just behind us. Our shared pool was fantastic - waking up & going to bed with a quick swim just added to our magnificent days. Plus, it was great when the main pool & beach got a little windy. The resort was always spotlessly clean and the staff were fantastic. They should be commended - all were very friendly, helpful & always polite & smiling. An extra special mention to those at Ocean Kiss Restaurant (esp Kate & Yot) who made each day start perfectly & even remembered most of our coffee orders. The breakfast buffet each morning was amazing. M & the boys at the Beach Bar were also lovely & very accommodating of our late night drinks. Joy, ran our trip to the markets (a real eye-opener) & our Thai cooking class (7 of us). She & her helpers were fantastic. This is a must for everyone. We are planning a Thai dinner party asap to try out what we learned. Anantara Spa was so beautiful - the foot ritual, massages & body scrub made us feel so special & the massage in the Beach Sala (with the waves crashing) was one of the (many) highlights of my trip. It was pricey compared to Samui standards but no more than you would pay in Sydney. Tree Tops was pricey but lovely. We booked late so could only get a low "tree house". Food was delicious even "wow" esp my "volcano" dessert. The Salt & Knife "gurus" were interesting but a bit over the top & unnecesary. The Beach BBQ was a great night. The entertainment and the array of food was fantastic. The food in the resort was delicious and not overly pricey although expensive by Samui standards. However, food just outside the resort, esp across the road or in Chaweng (15mins away), was plentiful, cheap and also delicious. We often chose not to leave the luxury of our resort though. Cocktails were great value, as was the beer but wine was expensive (pretty much everywhere). We all made significant use of the tailor across the road. They were inundated with orders and despite a few unnecessary appointments for extra fittings, they came through with great quality clothing for us all.

Room Tip: The private/shared pool in the villas really added to the glamour of the holiday so we would definit...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank JulieChivers

Dear JulieChivers,

Congratulations once again for your 50th birthday and Thank You for spending it with your family at our resort.

We are curious to hear if the Cooking Class you enjoyed so much helped you impressing your friends and family back home.

If you need a refresher or just want to have another relaxing vacation we would be delighted welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I had a free weekend for the first time in ages and were lucky enough to spend two days here. We didn't want to leave!
Our room was romantic and lovely with a large plush bed covered in mosquito netting(not from necessity but certainly more for affect), a beautiful sitting area, as well as a fantastic outdoor rainshower and quality amentities in the bath.
We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the suite as well as the size of the plunge pool and outdoor bath. The outdoor bath was such a surprise and could not have been move inviting. I used it three times in two days!
We ordered room service the first night and the food was delivered quickly and set up beautifully in our outdoor sala so we could enjoy while stargazing and listening to the sea.
The resort facilites were exactly what we were looking for, fast and friendly service around the pool and on the beach and comfortable loungers at both.
Breakfast was a lavish spread that we thoroughly enjoyed.
We also were lucky enough to indulge in the spa.The therapists are highly skilled and the setting divine.
There seemed to be a good balance of families and couples and everyone appeared extremely happy.
Highly recommend!

Dear ShannonCB,

It is with great pleasure to read that we were able to provide you with such a great weekend experience and that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Pool Villas.

Please feel free contacting me directly should you plan to return for another Weekend Getaway.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Pros:

- very nice breakfast, huge selection and all very fresh
- nice pool/beach area
- free little snacks while at pool
- unlimited water in room
- very friendly staff
- nice gym

Cons:
- the resort is huge and lot's is up hill. Even to get the room we had to walk about 20 steps up.
- the toilet and shower - actually the whole bathroom is open/outside. Not for my liking as I don't like to use the bathroom in the dark getting bitten my mosquitos and having all those animals crawling around.
- room is very basic (we had the room with the privat plunge pool). Pool was for me to much like a jungle style and therefore also had animals in the pool (e.g. centepide) which was not inviting. Also I found a dead worm on the second day (it wasn't there before) which room service did not clean away during our stay.
- very bad internet connection and only 30 min are for free. You actually have to pay for Wi-fi!!! They say internet is free in puplic areas like the pool etc. - however my internet never worked there.
- no black out curtais - due to the open bathroom
- nice gesture of welcome fruits - however we got some brown bananas and dryed up mandarins

Overall it is a nice resort (not suitable for the elderly due to all the hills/steps or familys with young children). However, we would not come back as there are so many other much cheaper and much nicer resorts in Koh Samui. We are Europeans, living in HK so have been to Thailand many times. I would like to stress the friendliness of the staff and also good english skills. When we called for check out they came within two minutes to help us. For the location you need to use public transportation to get around or rent a car/moped.

5  Thank Pufflerd

Dear Pufflerd,

Thank you very much for your compliments on our service standards and the food in the resort.

I’m sorry to hear that the design and surroundings of the resort have not been to your liking which apparently impacted your overall rating and experience quite significant.

We still hope you enjoyed your overall Samui experience and had a good vacation on the island.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

While I find Samui to generally be over priced and too crowded with the more obnoxious and annoying varieties of tourists, my wife and I were very pleased with the Anantara Lawana. The location is good but not too close to noisy, busy Bophut. The beach is very nice, the pool is lovely and the property is very peaceful.

The only negatives I can say: 1) they initially sent the car to the wrong pier to pick us up, and didn't really apologize, 2) some of the other tourists at the resort are very noisy and annoying (just specific ones)

What was exceptional was the beach bar and pool area. Also the staff are extremely good at customer service, almost like they are competing to be the best, which was great.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear DirkTid,

Thank you for staying with us and your compliments for our team.

Please accept my apology for the challenges with your transportation but we do depend in those cases certainly on the information given to us and will follow those as good as we can.

We would appreciate being able welcoming you back some time in the future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had tried one of the Anantara hotels in Bangkok a couple of years ago and were quite happy with their service, so we decided to give Anantara Lawana in Koh Samui a try this time round. We traveled as a family of 6: 3 adults, 2 kids and 1 82-year-old elderly. We spent 5 nights in Anantara Lawana and I must say the overall experience has exceeded our expectation.

The Good:
1. Excellent customer service. The staff were extremely polite and courteous. They did everything with a smile. Their command of English was generally good.
2. Their spa was excellent. It is a must-try! One of the best we have ever had. We were so satisfied that we tried it twice! Ask for their promotional package which includes a combination of scrub and massage.
3. Rooms were clean and spacious. In-villa dip pool was cleaned and the water quality was checked on a daily basis.

The Neutral:
1. The beach area within the compound was relatively small and the sand was a bit grainy. Water was not as clear as we expected. Having said that, our kids were still quite satisfied with the beach.
2. Their location is on the quiet end of Chaweng. i.e. it is away from the 'happening' places in Chaweng town centre. Personally I like it that way as we have 2 kids and do not usually go out for clubbing/pubbing. It takes you 10 minutes to reach the Chaweng centre if you take a Tuk-tuk which costs you 50 Baht per person.
3. Restaurants are a bit pricey in my opinion. However, there is a good local restaurant right opposite to the resort (the name is Anong I think) which offers authentic Thai as well as Western food. There is also a supermarket and convenience store right opposite to the resort too so that you don't need to worry about running short of snacks in the middle of the night.

The could-have-been-better:
1. One of the water-taps in our shower was broken on our second last day of stay. The staff fixed it promptly but I thought regular maintenance checks could have prevented it from happening in the first place.
2. Wi-fi was free only for 30 minutes per day. It would be best if they could offer free wi-fi regardless of usage.
3. The gym was small and the equipment was a bit old.

A little incident:
On 10th Feb, we booked a Chinese New Year buffet dinner that was held on the beach. Before I could start getting some food, it started to rain. As the buffet table and BBQ area were set up without any shelter, rain water got into the dishes. The rain stopped after 10 minutes but being cautious as I always am, I didn't want my family to consume any of those food which could have been contaminated by the rain water. I told the manager in charge that I wanted to cancel the dinner but would order ala carte dinner at the restaurant (Ocean Kiss). My request caught everybody (including my family!) off-guard but this manager in charge (sorry, I didn't manage to jot down his name) understood my reasons and accepted my request without a single question asked. I was really impressed with his calmness and he truly listened and obliged to my request. I was also very impressed with the whole team at Ocean Kiss restaurant. As the kitchen was busy preparing food for the buffet dinner, it took the chef longer than usual to prepare the ala carte dishes and it was getting late and everybody was getting hungry. Another staff by the name of "A" offered us some complimentary bread and crackers while we were waiting, we greatly appreciated his thoughtfulness! Apart from Mr. "A", there were a couple of waitresses (one by the name "Kate" and another lady whom I didn't manage to get her name) who offered great service to us, despite the disappointment that we had canceled the buffet dinner and the 'trouble' and extra work that I had created. Well done guys!

Room Tip: If budget is not a concern, get a room facing the sea. If you have kids, get one with a private pool...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear DWong73,

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback and compliments here with us.

We are glad to hear that you appreciated the high quality of our Spa treatments and valued it in such a way that you went twice during your stay.

With a ten minutes taxi ride you must have gone to the further end of Chaweng as it usually takes only half of the time. But as you stayed during a very busy period for the island I assume that the tuk tuk stopped several times during the ride to pick up additional passengers.

My apology for the incident with the water tap which should have been avoided as you said correctly. Nevertheless, I am happy to hear that my team fixed it immediately.

In regards of the Internet we could have either decided to provide a low quality and speed internet and provide it for free for the entire stay or upgrade the entire system to one of the highest speeds on the island and upgraded equipment and cabling but in return limit it to 30min daily only for free. We decided to make the investment and still provide the guests the alternative to have some free access too. We remained the access free of charge in all public areas as well as in the higher priced villas.

Thank you for complimenting the team for the way they responded to your request during the Chinese New Year dinner. I can assure you that we operate to very high hygiene standards and the food on the buffet was either protected or replaced during the short rain. I joined the dinner personally that night and can guarantee that the food provided was fresh and delicious and did not cause any discomfort.

We are looking forward welcoming you back again to either our or any other Anantara Resort.

Kind regards

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
#2 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!