“Xmas in style”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We have been staying over the festive days enjoying the right load of Xmas spirit. Creative eye catching & not overwhelming, you do get reminded the Xmas days even with tropical temperature. Turn down service on 24th with Xmas sock on our bed, Santa & his Santalinas singers on the dinner buffet. We felt having the exact portion of the holly night and it was a hard time to choice the right location of restaurant that day. Macigal lightening in their fine dining restaurant Tree Tops and then the white set up in Oceankiss with live music and a buffet to die for. Wondering what these guys pulling out for New Year's Eve.....
We stayed in a Deluxe Plunge Pool & felt it been the right choice for our needs. Enough space, charming design & good amenities in the bath rooms. Our room been even cleaned twice a day and we loved the daily messages delivered via frangipani leaf.
Thank you Anantara & your fantastic team for making our Xmas stay special & so memorable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Fa F
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear FaF,

Merry Xmas and Thank you for posting your kind compliments here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that we have been able to provide you with a great Christmas experience in the tropics and that you not only enjoyed our restaurants but as well the room and service experience.

We wish you all the best for 2013 and hope seeing you back soon.

Lars Kerfin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,978)

Reviewed December 25, 2012

After spending 16 K on this our special holiday as it also combines both our sixtieth birthdays, I have to first say that 7K of that was allocated to what we thought was tto be the highlight of our trip,our stay in the Anantara with a deluxe sea view (front row beach front) pool villa. Nothing in the world to us is more relaxing and therapeutic than the timeless sound of the waves. It was worth the seven grand.
After leaving the Shangri La hotel in Bankkok ( where we spent four unforgettable nights and I couldn't rate this hotel enough) we arrived in Koh Samui only to find that our transport had not arrived. After lugging all our cases , and there is quite a lot for a round the globe trip and with the help of another transfer group we eventually left the airport an hou and a half later. On arriving at the hotel I must say the reception was quite poor with the staff seeming to be more attentive to the transport drivers grumbles that he had heard nothing about our pick up. I began to wonder at this point about my booking at the hotel as every one seemed to be looking blank faced. Recognition was soon thwarted however when I introduced ourselves and requested our sea front pool villa. There was no such villa available. The villa I was offered is three rows back with a two metre slot to look through the roof tops to the sea. Quite frankly I'm sick of looking at the same wave every morning,and the timeless sound of the waves... Well.
On entering the restaurant that night during a.monssoon storm the heavy roller blind was brought down on my wife's head almost knocking her unconscious. We were then asked to sign for our meal with a hefty price tag attached. I explained that we were half board basis but made to sign anyway. I wondered. The next meal confirmed my thoughts....the hotel were not aware that I was half board and I suspect from the looks we receive at the restaurant that they still don't.
We find the food at the hotel of a very good quality, the down fall of course you will know if you are a lover of spicy Thai food as I am that you need lots of water. Beware the cost of water at the restaurantis twice the price of a good superstore wine.the management of course know the food is deliciously hot and spicy......
To sum up ,wether it be the fault of the hotel or the booking agent we feel cheated, very bitter and very aggrieved, and all the free massages in the world won't change that. Our next stop New Zealand can't come soon enough........ten days. Hindsight ,that lovely word ,7K ......I know she would have preferred the part exchange deal for the new Mercedes.

Room Tip: Get a plan of the resort before you choose your room or type of room. Do not pay any money to anyone...
4  Thank Sadiekennedy

Dear Sadiekennedy,

Even though we have spoken personally and discussed your comments after you have posted them here on TripAdvisor I would certainly like to take the opportunity to share my feedback.

I can indeed understand your frustration and desire that on such a special vacation everything should be perfect. Unfortunately I see as well that a lot of the frustration you mentioned here has been caused by external factors and are outside of our control.

The airport transfer wasn’t organized through us but by your travel agent (or apparently not). The driver who finally turned up to bring you to the hotel has been very “outspoken” upon arrival with our receptionists about his feelings. The situation having to calm down a driver certainly disrupted a usually smooth and calm check in process.

As I mentioned in our conversation and offered to show you in our correspondence with your agent we clearly advised several times to your agent that the Pool Villa they booked does not have any sea view. This has obviously not been communicated to you by your agent.

We also haven’t been aware or paid for by your agent for the half board during your stay. Nevertheless, we have adjusted this since and are awaiting payment from your agent for the same.

I also explained you the reason for imported bottled water like Perrier etc. being priced higher than local water and/or ice water which is all available in our restaurants.

Based on our latest conversation I felt re-assured that you are enjoying your vacation now and that we have been able to clarify a couple of the misunderstandings and challenges. We remain having you waitlisted for a Sea View Pool Villa should one of them become available during your stay.

Once again, I am glad that we have been able to have a personal talk and clarify the situation, even though I would have certainly preferred having this before above review was posted.

I am looking forward looking after you during the rest of your stay.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Amazing experience. Anantara was the highlight of our entire trip. We really enjoyed spending time at the pool and the pool bar. The staff is very friendly which makes the stay at the resort even more special. Breakfast was served with great pleasure by all the staff which was a good kickstart to our morning.

1  Thank Aditina
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Aditina,

What else can I say? :-)

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We have left Bangkok for 6 days to visit Koh Samui. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive, always with a smile on the lips. The food in general was very good, the products of the bakery have made the breakfast to a special experience. The Tree Tops restaurant offers high quality products acompanied by fine wines, probably one of the best restaurants on Samui.
In short: This is the right place for someone who is looking for excellent food and relaxation.

1  Thank klaus b

Dear klaus b,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your short break from Bangkok and shared your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in 2013.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I am staying at this hotel right now until December 24th and am very disappointed. If you want a relaxing peaceful time DO NOT COME HERE.

First of all the resort is full of young children. Not that I have any issues with young families, but if you expected a relaxing romantic getaway this is not the place to come too.

Secondly, there is construction going on at this time. You would think this would be posted on their website. There are construction workers and sawing noise from9 to 5 everyday! While sitting on the beach all you hear is construction and kids crying and playing.....sounds romantic and relaxing doesn't it?!?!! Very disappointed and upset that this was not disclosed on their website upon time of booking.

Lastly, I agree with the other reviews posted the property is very worn out. We stayed at the Anantara property in Maldives for our honeymoon and loved it. This property does not even compare. It is hard to believe this is in the same chain. It is very hard to believe this is considered a five star because the standard and ambience is 3-4 star.

If you are looking for a relaxing 5 STAR resort this is not the place to come too even if you spurge and get the private pool villa.

Extremely disappointing Anantara.

Room Tip: Don't come until they finish the construction.
7  Thank Shalu B
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Shalu B,

Even though we would have certainly preferred addressing your concerns in a personal conversation while you are staying with us we still appreciate the possibility to respond to them through this channel.

Christmas period is seeing traditionally more families than usual traveling together. We would therefore recommend avoiding this period for traveling if you want to avoid children. Nevertheless, with the layout and size of the resort we have usually no complaints about people feeling disturbed. The beach and pool area is quite large which gives guests the possibility to rest in separated areas if they wish. But looking at our average of 7 children in the resort on any given day it is usually nothing anyone would feel disturbed by. There might be certainly exceptions when you have a group of somewhat louder children staying, but also this is very rare.

In your review you are mentioning that you expect us to address the “worn out” appearance of the resort, which we are obviously doing. Unfortunately this comes occasionally with some noise during the day. Again, with the layout of the resort we are able to close off entire sections of the resort to perform this work and limit the disturbance to an absolute minimum. During your stay the wooden decks of one of the villas next to the main pool have been changed which caused noise disturbance on 2 days. We sincerely would like to apologize for this inconvenience but can assure you that the work was done in order to address exactly the problems you and other guests mentioned before. Therefore we hope for your approval.

We appreciate your feedback and would be delighted welcoming you back after the Festive Season when you can enjoy a quieter and upgraded Anantara Lawana.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I are here on our honeymoon. The view is amazing, the villa is perfect especially with the private pool! The service is great, especially Kate at Ocean Kiss Restaurant! She is always happy and aims to please! The only downfall of this resort is the insane among of kids! 50%+ of couples here have their kids with them. They pool is pretty loud and disturbing. Obviously we came here for our honeymoon so of course we hope for peace and quiet and a relaxing day and we booked this resort assuming we would get just that. wouldn't you expect the same at a 5 start resort? we have two days left and I'm going the day time lounging at the pool is a little more peaceful from here on out!

Room Tip: splurge for the villa!
1  Thank Cassandrae21

Dear Cassandrae21,

Congratulations once again to your recent marriage and thank you for sharing your positive feedback here on TripAdvisor. We will certainly pass on the praise for K. Kate.

As commented to another reviewer, we have in average about 7 children in the resort. Considering that we have 122 rooms and villas this is a rather small amount of children. During the festive season we have traditionally more families traveling than during the rest of the year. Should you feel disturbed by children we would recommend avoiding this period for traveling in the future. Our pool area is providing as well several separated areas with sun loungers so usually it is quite easy to find a quiet area.

We would be delighted welcoming you back during another period of the year in which you would most certainly enjoy a quieter resort.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at Anantara Lawana plunge pool room for 4 nights. Heard much about this hotel chain and was looking forward to a relaxing time. However the overall experience was not good and average at best.

Pros:
Staff was polite and service oriented. Will have to applaud Sunny at reception who candidly gave us directions and places to eat local food. There was another lady staff at breakfast who was always cheery and delighted to serve you. Pity I forgot to get her name. I'm sure the other guests wld know who I am talking about. Next, there's a family mart just across the street and very convenient to stock up and snacks n drinks. The beach was clean but not the choicest to swim in Samui. Housekeeping was generally fine and anticipated our needs like giving us extra mosquito coils n matches ( I will talk about the mozzies in a bit). We were allowed to use the beach facilities at their bohput resort which was good since that beach was calmer and better to swim.

Cons:
The room size was okay but didn't expect the shower n wc to be outdoors. It's not well designed as we found out when we wanted to use the wc and it was pouring the whole day we arrived hence got wet while trying to use the toilet. There is a blind that shelters the wc from the elements but in heavy rain it was futile. Because the toilet was au natural, there were quite a no. Of mozzies and we got bitten while using the wc. Imagine!

Sales pitch was unusual and a bit much over the few days that we were there. They had a offer to give each room 4500 credits if you sign up for their tour to their bohput resort and listen to their sales pitch for the vacation club package. We were asked 3 times if we were interested. I tk once wld suffice and to note that which guest didn't want to. If I wanted I wld have signed up the first time.

Breakfast had variety and it repeated everyday! Sigh. Even the Thai selection was the same everyday besides the soup and some side dishes. For a big chain like Anantara we were surprised that they didn't have fresh juices; all were concentrates except the daily special which varied each day and that was freshly made. Disappointed w the food.

Breakfast location. The view from the breakfast area was great but def not wheelchair accessible. It was a good climb down quite steep steps to the restaurant and pool. For the able-bodied its good excercise but didn't see any facilities for the handicapped. Maybe there is.

The main door lock to our room didn't work so we had to latch the bottom as we cldnt turn the lock. Air con was loud with rumbling noise tho fan was at lowest.

Something strange happened. We were asked quite a few times if we were from room 230! At the pool at the reception as we were walking. It was like they were looking for an Asian couple and simple asked any Asian couple that came their way. Annoying! I was about to ask what was wrong and why they kept asking us our room no. Come on. It def interrupted our vacation. Unnecessary.

Wld We stay at any Anantara again.. Nope. I tk there are other better resorts on the island.

3  Thank Kyojin81

Dear Kyojin81,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that our team was able to make such a positive difference to your vacation.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the layout of the rooms with their outdoor bathrooms. The resort’s design is certainly appreciated best during dry and sunny days and rainy days might occasionally cause some inconveniences. Fortunately those days are very rare on Samui.

We want to apologize on behalf of our colleagues from Anantara Vacation Club that they have disturbed you with their THB 4,500 resort credit offer and will ensure that a better communication will be part of their handovers.

Our breakfast spread is usually getting very positive comments and even though we certainly have some “classics” which will be there every day we do have in facts rotating items including freshly baked pass arounds. Even though the juices are not all freshly pressed they are fresh. But due to the amount of consumption we have on a daily basis they are ordered from outside and delivered in plastic containers.

Please accept as well our apology that we disturbed you when looking for some of our guests. In order to find those guests faster we assigned several staff for the search. Unfortunately this seemed having caused some inconveniences for you which we again, want to apologize for.

We would still hope welcoming you back in any of our resorts and hope being able to convince you with our services.

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#2 of 103 in Chaweng
2 mi away
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!