“Expected Better”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at Anantara Lawana plunge pool room for 4 nights. Heard much about this hotel chain and was looking forward to a relaxing time. However the overall experience was not good and average at best.

Pros:
Staff was polite and service oriented. Will have to applaud Sunny at reception who candidly gave us directions and places to eat local food. There was another lady staff at breakfast who was always cheery and delighted to serve you. Pity I forgot to get her name. I'm sure the other guests wld know who I am talking about. Next, there's a family mart just across the street and very convenient to stock up and snacks n drinks. The beach was clean but not the choicest to swim in Samui. Housekeeping was generally fine and anticipated our needs like giving us extra mosquito coils n matches ( I will talk about the mozzies in a bit). We were allowed to use the beach facilities at their bohput resort which was good since that beach was calmer and better to swim.

Cons:
The room size was okay but didn't expect the shower n wc to be outdoors. It's not well designed as we found out when we wanted to use the wc and it was pouring the whole day we arrived hence got wet while trying to use the toilet. There is a blind that shelters the wc from the elements but in heavy rain it was futile. Because the toilet was au natural, there were quite a no. Of mozzies and we got bitten while using the wc. Imagine!

Sales pitch was unusual and a bit much over the few days that we were there. They had a offer to give each room 4500 credits if you sign up for their tour to their bohput resort and listen to their sales pitch for the vacation club package. We were asked 3 times if we were interested. I tk once wld suffice and to note that which guest didn't want to. If I wanted I wld have signed up the first time.

Breakfast had variety and it repeated everyday! Sigh. Even the Thai selection was the same everyday besides the soup and some side dishes. For a big chain like Anantara we were surprised that they didn't have fresh juices; all were concentrates except the daily special which varied each day and that was freshly made. Disappointed w the food.

Breakfast location. The view from the breakfast area was great but def not wheelchair accessible. It was a good climb down quite steep steps to the restaurant and pool. For the able-bodied its good excercise but didn't see any facilities for the handicapped. Maybe there is.

The main door lock to our room didn't work so we had to latch the bottom as we cldnt turn the lock. Air con was loud with rumbling noise tho fan was at lowest.

Something strange happened. We were asked quite a few times if we were from room 230! At the pool at the reception as we were walking. It was like they were looking for an Asian couple and simple asked any Asian couple that came their way. Annoying! I was about to ask what was wrong and why they kept asking us our room no. Come on. It def interrupted our vacation. Unnecessary.

Wld We stay at any Anantara again.. Nope. I tk there are other better resorts on the island.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kyojin81
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Kyojin81,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that our team was able to make such a positive difference to your vacation.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the layout of the rooms with their outdoor bathrooms. The resort’s design is certainly appreciated best during dry and sunny days and rainy days might occasionally cause some inconveniences. Fortunately those days are very rare on Samui.

We want to apologize on behalf of our colleagues from Anantara Vacation Club that they have disturbed you with their THB 4,500 resort credit offer and will ensure that a better communication will be part of their handovers.

Our breakfast spread is usually getting very positive comments and even though we certainly have some “classics” which will be there every day we do have in facts rotating items including freshly baked pass arounds. Even though the juices are not all freshly pressed they are fresh. But due to the amount of consumption we have on a daily basis they are ordered from outside and delivered in plastic containers.

Please accept as well our apology that we disturbed you when looking for some of our guests. In order to find those guests faster we assigned several staff for the search. Unfortunately this seemed having caused some inconveniences for you which we again, want to apologize for.

We would still hope welcoming you back in any of our resorts and hope being able to convince you with our services.

Lars Kerfin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,952)

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

the overall of the resort is good. But the room is too dark it need more lighting. There's a lot of mosquitos in the room. The breakfast is not quite a 5 star type. I wish the breakfast have more variety and quality of food.. but the staff is super nice and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank tkx1997
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear tkx1997,

Thank you for your positive feedback and constructive suggestions.

We are actually working with designers on improving the lighting in some of the rooms. During the rainy season they can appear sometimes a bit dark and we will ensure that this is being addressed.

Even though we usually receive very positive feedback about our breakfast we will certainly take your comments as a challenge to improve it even further.

Thank you as well for the great comments about the team, which is highly appreciated. We are all looking forward welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

First of all the hotel is physically designed for relaxation. You get into relax mode when you first reach the reception area. But the most impressive part is the staff. They do everything they can to keep you satisfied. Attention to detail is taken seriously. Even thought the hotel was not previously informed that our stay was our "honeymoon" they did everything to make amends later on. They share the weather forecast written on a plant leaf and several different figures made of towels are presented on your bed everyday. As a summary I would love to go for another vacation to Anantara Lawana again.

1  Thank Anililter

Dear Anililter,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. Congratulations once again on your recent marriage and thank you for choosing us as your honeymoon destination.

We would be certainly looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

A few pros and cons I must say.

Staff: the staff were incredibly amazing and attentive. You were always greeted with a smile. After breakfast, staff reserved a sun bed for me for when I returned in my swimwear. towels all laid out and recommendations on good mocktails knowing I didn't drink alcohol. Staff also knew my regular coffee order (latte) without my saying so.

Room: the room service was twice a day, when you wake up and gone out for the day - bed was made and mosquito net up etc and then to 'turn down time' - curtains drawn, bedside lights on, slippers placed by the bed and a leaf that had tomorrows weather, everything was done to the finest detail, it was fantastic. But the room itself, like a previous reviewer had mentioned, no doubt would it have been a 5 star resort once however, it appears little has been done to maintain that 5 star appeal. The bathroom was the man culprit. Could do with new paint job on walls and new shower tiles. While most travellers should be wearing thongs to shower, it would be nice to think it was clean enough not to have to.

Food: great, couldn't fault at all. The breakfast buffet was superb, it had a large range to choose from you couldn't help but want to taste everything but your stomach couldn't handle the pressure from so much food, u had to learn to resist and wait impatiently the next morning to try other selections.

Spa: while very expensive, well worth a try. Especially if your after to detail, professionalism and peace/quiet that you often won't get at the massage parlours on the main roads.

Location: not within walking distance to the main area of chaweng beach (200 baht by taxi). It's a place to be if your after relaxation, close to the main party beach but distantly far enough for relaxation. The private beach was ok, not the powder white sand I had hoped for though but still had nice crystal blue water that I enjoyed.

Incident: ok, so on my third day at the resort, I was getting ready to leave for a day tour when the hook of the supporting structure of the mosquito net manage to fall off and land right in my eye. Housekeeping were very apologetic about the incident but this really ruined the rest of my stay as from then on I would have a throbbing headache that paracetamol could not cure, I was locked in my room for a whole day trying to sleep it off. Reception and house keeping were aware and had fixed the structure which i was grateful for but didn't help the fact that the headache would not go away and i really wanted to enjoy the rest of my holiday. my husband (not travelling with me, but would cry in pain to on the phone) thought they would do something about the bill when it came to check-out out of politeness but nothing. Come time for check-out, I was given the total of my bill which wasn't much. What a bummer but I didn't argue.

Overall, while staff were nice and location was great for relaxation. If the room were taken care of more and if they had gone above and beyond after the incident, I would stay here again but I feel there are other resorts on the island I could try first before opting for this resort again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Kelly I

Dear Kelly I,

Thank you very much for all the praise on our team and the food, which is very appreciated.

Please accept our apology for the incident with the mosquito net. We have not been aware that it caused you such pain and were under the impression that the care and attention we provided during your stay was to your satisfaction.

The rooms are currently being updated as you might read from some other reviewers which will address the challenges you pointed out.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We chose this hotel as our first stop for our honeymoon. We were ready to pay what it needed to be excellent so we chose the private pool villa with seaview. Amazing view, the pool was great but it stops there. The room was very old, not well maintained, closet was in the wet area (in shower, toilet, etc.) all in an open room to outside... in other words no insect will spare you (we have seen a massive spider, ants, centipede and of course our most regular and omnipresent mosquitos). called the reception to tell them about this problem and all what they did is to send us a spray bugs killer. staff at the reception were nice but that's it. Electricity kept on cutting (I spent 3 hours once without electricity and no one even bothered to bring us candles). I find it terrible for a so called 5 stars hotels. i could not call the reception as they had the great idea to install electronic telephones in the rooms.
Overall, terrible experience and I won't recommend to anybody. I just find it horrible to ask that much for such a poor hotel.
My wife got eaten by insects on top of that. they were getting into our clothes in the closet as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mahdi A
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Mahdi A,

We are sorry to hear that you haven’t enjoyed your stay very much and would like to apologize for any inconveniences.

You are certainly right that the beauty of having an open air bathroom comes with an occasional encounter of local insects. But we can assure you that we are performing regular treatments which are reducing the possibilities of especially mosquito encounters to the best possible minimum. Unfortunately traveling in the tropics some mosquito will always be part of the experience.

I do want to apologize in particular about the power cut in your room for such a long time. Our records are showing that as soon as we have been made aware of it the team rushed to fix the problem. Unfortunately as you mentioned, you couldn’t make us aware through the telephone about the power cut in your villa and as the rest of the resort was fine nobody of my team realized the challenge. I am very confident that if you would have approached the reception or any other team member walking through the resort we could have addressed this faster. The telephones have usually a battery backup and we will use your feedback to recheck that this is working in all villas.

During your stay Koh Samui experienced a 3 day power cut on the entire island and I am happy to say that the majority of our inhouse guests have not even realized this as our entire resort was supplied with full power through our backup generators. Except your villa as it appears and once again I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for this.

We appreciate your feedback and would be delighted welcoming you in any of our other Anantara Hotels & Resorts at any time.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

hotel is absolutely amazing.. nice peaceful and quite ... the room is excellent. had a private pool also in the room.. what i liked about them was that they made the room 2 times a day... normally all hotels make it just once... the staff was very very polite and nice and very helpful. the breakfast buffet variety was excellent, was really impressed with the vegetarian spread they had.. hotel is 15-20 mins walk from the main action area in Chewang....my family is now travelling to bangkok, i have already made reservations for them in Anantara in BKK.. since i was very happy with this property, I am sure that their other hotels will also be as excellent as this was. Hence, we have gone ahead with same hotel in BKK now.. to my surprise there was a Family mart rite outside the hotel door.. which was really good.. being a 5 star property, i just have one suggestion.. since the airport is just 5-7 mins drive from the hotel, I feel hotel should provide free pick up and drop to it's customers.. otherwise everything about this hotel is EXCELLENT....

Room Tip: everything is just perfect in this hotel... all rooms are excellent......

Dear vikasmanghnani,

Thank you for an amazing review and we are delighted to hear that we have been able to convert you into an Anantara enthusiast! We are confident that you enjoyed your stay in one of our 3 Bangkok hotels as much as your stay with us.

We appreciate your recommendation about the complimentary airport transfer and will consider it in our future planning.

We are looking forward welcoming you back in any of our Anantara’s.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

The only place to start is by saying the staff (waiters, cleaners, groundmen etc) were absolutely first class, well and truely lived up to the 5 stars. Unfortunately in my opinion the resort was lookin a bit "worn". I fully believe it was a 5 star resort, in it`s day, although now it is rather used lookin. From chipped and stained walls, to bare wood, loose light fittings, faulty plunge pool jets to broken door lock (we were in room 305, plunge pool, for the interest of management). We don`t tend to get bothered by these things, having never experienced a 5 star hotel before, so I fully enjoyed our 10 nights here.
One issue that did bother me was that we had only about 2 hours of sun along only one edge of our plunge pool each day, and the pool was too cold probably due to this....and that`s coming from a Scotsman! It was very dissappointing after spending the extra money for this room, and being on honeymoon, and only using the pool twice (for a maximum of 15 mins) and only after having some alcahol to help pluck up the courage and enable us to ignore the cold.
We were met on check in by the lovely manager, but was surprised (instead of being offered an upgrade to available superior rooms, like other travellers) were offered to upgrade to superior rooms at a cost of £50 per night or £200 per night, having spent what we consider a substantial amount already I felt this was way out of the question.
On that note the resort was very expensive to eat and drink in (expensive compared to UK prices even) in comparison to surrounding resteraunts and bars. We did enjoy the Thai buffet night with entertainment, although we had only water to drink and it still cost nearly £80.
The room was nice, had everything you need, fridge, TV, kettle, it was wierd having our toilet outside, but I did enjoy the outside shower.....although the water was never ever hot, we put up with it aswell.
The pool was superb and staff very much looked after you when spending time there, offering complimentary fresh fruit kebabs, fruit ice lollies and cold towels, as well as placing your sun lounger and placing your towel for you. I can`t say enough about how attentive the staff were.
The location was good, although not as close as other reviewers mentioned, I`d say about a 20 min brisk walk to Chaweng center, we used tuk tuk`s most journeys when we were going out, which was around 50-100 Bhat each.
We never tried the Tree Tops resteraunt after checking out the menu, very specialised and expensive.
The breakfast was very good, finishes at 10:30, and we enjoyed a comlimentary 3 course meal and a cocktail and canopy evenings which were part of our deal, maybe this is why we had no upgrade or comlimentary wine/cake on arrival. We made the most of these 2 events as we wanted to justify the expense we had paid for the Thai buffet night...which I must add we were never told a price for until we were leaving the resteraunt.
The views, beach, weather (even tho it did rain a handfull of times, being monsoon season!) and staff really made our honeymoon something to rememeber, and we`ll always treasure it.

Room Tip: If you have a plunge pool room booked I fully advise anyone to contact hotel before travelling and r...
1  Thank David B
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear David B,

Thank you for sharing your positive and detailed feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and appreciate equally the constructive feedback you provide for us.

First of all I am happy to let you know that many of the points you mentioned in terms of hotel upkeep are being addressed currently and have even been started while you were staying with us. We have currently around 20 rooms a day undergoing an intensive maintenance and repair program that will be finished before the end of the low season mid of December.

During the monsoon season temperatures are lowering quite a bit and are therefore affecting the pool water temperatures as well. Usually our guests are more concerned that the pool water is getting too warm, therefore the Plunge Pools are mainly kept in the shadow.

Our apology that a complimentary upgrade wasn’t available at check in, but I am sure with the free dinner and drinks you have enjoyed special honeymoon recognition.

Thank you for sharing your concerns about the way we inform about our special theme dinners. Usually all collaterals and blackboards that are placed at breakfast in the morning showing the price for the dinner, but we will train our team better to reconfirm this price more clearly.

Once again, we want to thank you for sharing the praise about our team here and will certainly forward your compliments to them. All of us would be happy welcoming you back anytime, or maybe even on one of your anniversaries.

Kind regards

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Buri Rasa Village Samui
#2 of 104 in Chaweng
2 mi away
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!