“Much better than you can imagine”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
“Much better than you can imagine”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

First of all the hotel is physically designed for relaxation. You get into relax mode when you first reach the reception area. But the most impressive part is the staff. They do everything they can to keep you satisfied. Attention to detail is taken seriously. Even thought the hotel was not previously informed that our stay was our "honeymoon" they did everything to make amends later on. They share the weather forecast written on a plant leaf and several different figures made of towels are presented on your bed everyday. As a summary I would love to go for another vacation to Anantara Lawana again.

1 Thank Anililter
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear Anililter,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. Congratulations once again on your recent marriage and thank you for choosing us as your honeymoon destination.

We would be certainly looking forward welcoming you back.

Lars Kerfin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2012

A few pros and cons I must say.

Staff: the staff were incredibly amazing and attentive. You were always greeted with a smile. After breakfast, staff reserved a sun bed for me for when I returned in my swimwear. towels all laid out and recommendations on good mocktails knowing I didn't drink alcohol. Staff also knew my regular coffee order (latte) without my saying so.

Room: the room service was twice a day, when you wake up and gone out for the day - bed was made and mosquito net up etc and then to 'turn down time' - curtains drawn, bedside lights on, slippers placed by the bed and a leaf that had tomorrows weather, everything was done to the finest detail, it was fantastic. But the room itself, like a previous reviewer had mentioned, no doubt would it have been a 5 star resort once however, it appears little has been done to maintain that 5 star appeal. The bathroom was the man culprit. Could do with new paint job on walls and new shower tiles. While most travellers should be wearing thongs to shower, it would be nice to think it was clean enough not to have to.

Food: great, couldn't fault at all. The breakfast buffet was superb, it had a large range to choose from you couldn't help but want to taste everything but your stomach couldn't handle the pressure from so much food, u had to learn to resist and wait impatiently the next morning to try other selections.

Spa: while very expensive, well worth a try. Especially if your after to detail, professionalism and peace/quiet that you often won't get at the massage parlours on the main roads.

Location: not within walking distance to the main area of chaweng beach (200 baht by taxi). It's a place to be if your after relaxation, close to the main party beach but distantly far enough for relaxation. The private beach was ok, not the powder white sand I had hoped for though but still had nice crystal blue water that I enjoyed.

Incident: ok, so on my third day at the resort, I was getting ready to leave for a day tour when the hook of the supporting structure of the mosquito net manage to fall off and land right in my eye. Housekeeping were very apologetic about the incident but this really ruined the rest of my stay as from then on I would have a throbbing headache that paracetamol could not cure, I was locked in my room for a whole day trying to sleep it off. Reception and house keeping were aware and had fixed the structure which i was grateful for but didn't help the fact that the headache would not go away and i really wanted to enjoy the rest of my holiday. my husband (not travelling with me, but would cry in pain to on the phone) thought they would do something about the bill when it came to check-out out of politeness but nothing. Come time for check-out, I was given the total of my bill which wasn't much. What a bummer but I didn't argue.

Overall, while staff were nice and location was great for relaxation. If the room were taken care of more and if they had gone above and beyond after the incident, I would stay here again but I feel there are other resorts on the island I could try first before opting for this resort again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kelly I
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Kelly I,

Thank you very much for all the praise on our team and the food, which is very appreciated.

Please accept our apology for the incident with the mosquito net. We have not been aware that it caused you such pain and were under the impression that the care and attention we provided during your stay was to your satisfaction.

The rooms are currently being updated as you might read from some other reviewers which will address the challenges you pointed out.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We chose this hotel as our first stop for our honeymoon. We were ready to pay what it needed to be excellent so we chose the private pool villa with seaview. Amazing view, the pool was great but it stops there. The room was very old, not well maintained, closet was in the wet area (in shower, toilet, etc.) all in an open room to outside... in other words no insect will spare you (we have seen a massive spider, ants, centipede and of course our most regular and omnipresent mosquitos). called the reception to tell them about this problem and all what they did is to send us a spray bugs killer. staff at the reception were nice but that's it. Electricity kept on cutting (I spent 3 hours once without electricity and no one even bothered to bring us candles). I find it terrible for a so called 5 stars hotels. i could not call the reception as they had the great idea to install electronic telephones in the rooms.
Overall, terrible experience and I won't recommend to anybody. I just find it horrible to ask that much for such a poor hotel.
My wife got eaten by insects on top of that. they were getting into our clothes in the closet as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mahdi A
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Mahdi A,

We are sorry to hear that you haven’t enjoyed your stay very much and would like to apologize for any inconveniences.

You are certainly right that the beauty of having an open air bathroom comes with an occasional encounter of local insects. But we can assure you that we are performing regular treatments which are reducing the possibilities of especially mosquito encounters to the best possible minimum. Unfortunately traveling in the tropics some mosquito will always be part of the experience.

I do want to apologize in particular about the power cut in your room for such a long time. Our records are showing that as soon as we have been made aware of it the team rushed to fix the problem. Unfortunately as you mentioned, you couldn’t make us aware through the telephone about the power cut in your villa and as the rest of the resort was fine nobody of my team realized the challenge. I am very confident that if you would have approached the reception or any other team member walking through the resort we could have addressed this faster. The telephones have usually a battery backup and we will use your feedback to recheck that this is working in all villas.

During your stay Koh Samui experienced a 3 day power cut on the entire island and I am happy to say that the majority of our inhouse guests have not even realized this as our entire resort was supplied with full power through our backup generators. Except your villa as it appears and once again I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for this.

We appreciate your feedback and would be delighted welcoming you in any of our other Anantara Hotels & Resorts at any time.

mumbai
Reviewed December 6, 2012

hotel is absolutely amazing.. nice peaceful and quite ... the room is excellent. had a private pool also in the room.. what i liked about them was that they made the room 2 times a day... normally all hotels make it just once... the staff was very very polite and nice and very helpful. the breakfast buffet variety was excellent, was really impressed with the vegetarian spread they had.. hotel is 15-20 mins walk from the main action area in Chewang....my family is now travelling to bangkok, i have already made reservations for them in Anantara in BKK.. since i was very happy with this property, I am sure that their other hotels will also be as excellent as this was. Hence, we have gone ahead with same hotel in BKK now.. to my surprise there was a Family mart rite outside the hotel door.. which was really good.. being a 5 star property, i just have one suggestion.. since the airport is just 5-7 mins drive from the hotel, I feel hotel should provide free pick up and drop to it's customers.. otherwise everything about this hotel is EXCELLENT....

Room Tip: everything is just perfect in this hotel... all rooms are excellent......
Dear vikasmanghnani,

Thank you for an amazing review and we are delighted to hear that we have been able to convert you into an Anantara enthusiast! We are confident that you enjoyed your stay in one of our 3 Bangkok hotels as much as your stay with us.

We appreciate your recommendation about the complimentary airport transfer and will consider it in our future planning.

We are looking forward welcoming you back in any of our Anantara’s.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The only place to start is by saying the staff (waiters, cleaners, groundmen etc) were absolutely first class, well and truely lived up to the 5 stars. Unfortunately in my opinion the resort was lookin a bit "worn". I fully believe it was a 5 star resort, in it`s day, although now it is rather used lookin. From chipped and stained walls, to bare wood, loose light fittings, faulty plunge pool jets to broken door lock (we were in room 305, plunge pool, for the interest of management). We don`t tend to get bothered by these things, having never experienced a 5 star hotel before, so I fully enjoyed our 10 nights here.
One issue that did bother me was that we had only about 2 hours of sun along only one edge of our plunge pool each day, and the pool was too cold probably due to this....and that`s coming from a Scotsman! It was very dissappointing after spending the extra money for this room, and being on honeymoon, and only using the pool twice (for a maximum of 15 mins) and only after having some alcahol to help pluck up the courage and enable us to ignore the cold.
We were met on check in by the lovely manager, but was surprised (instead of being offered an upgrade to available superior rooms, like other travellers) were offered to upgrade to superior rooms at a cost of £50 per night or £200 per night, having spent what we consider a substantial amount already I felt this was way out of the question.
On that note the resort was very expensive to eat and drink in (expensive compared to UK prices even) in comparison to surrounding resteraunts and bars. We did enjoy the Thai buffet night with entertainment, although we had only water to drink and it still cost nearly £80.
The room was nice, had everything you need, fridge, TV, kettle, it was wierd having our toilet outside, but I did enjoy the outside shower.....although the water was never ever hot, we put up with it aswell.
The pool was superb and staff very much looked after you when spending time there, offering complimentary fresh fruit kebabs, fruit ice lollies and cold towels, as well as placing your sun lounger and placing your towel for you. I can`t say enough about how attentive the staff were.
The location was good, although not as close as other reviewers mentioned, I`d say about a 20 min brisk walk to Chaweng center, we used tuk tuk`s most journeys when we were going out, which was around 50-100 Bhat each.
We never tried the Tree Tops resteraunt after checking out the menu, very specialised and expensive.
The breakfast was very good, finishes at 10:30, and we enjoyed a comlimentary 3 course meal and a cocktail and canopy evenings which were part of our deal, maybe this is why we had no upgrade or comlimentary wine/cake on arrival. We made the most of these 2 events as we wanted to justify the expense we had paid for the Thai buffet night...which I must add we were never told a price for until we were leaving the resteraunt.
The views, beach, weather (even tho it did rain a handfull of times, being monsoon season!) and staff really made our honeymoon something to rememeber, and we`ll always treasure it.

Room Tip: If you have a plunge pool room booked I fully advise anyone to contact hotel before travelling and r...
1 Thank David B
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear David B,

Thank you for sharing your positive and detailed feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and appreciate equally the constructive feedback you provide for us.

First of all I am happy to let you know that many of the points you mentioned in terms of hotel upkeep are being addressed currently and have even been started while you were staying with us. We have currently around 20 rooms a day undergoing an intensive maintenance and repair program that will be finished before the end of the low season mid of December.

During the monsoon season temperatures are lowering quite a bit and are therefore affecting the pool water temperatures as well. Usually our guests are more concerned that the pool water is getting too warm, therefore the Plunge Pools are mainly kept in the shadow.

Our apology that a complimentary upgrade wasn’t available at check in, but I am sure with the free dinner and drinks you have enjoyed special honeymoon recognition.

Thank you for sharing your concerns about the way we inform about our special theme dinners. Usually all collaterals and blackboards that are placed at breakfast in the morning showing the price for the dinner, but we will train our team better to reconfirm this price more clearly.

Once again, we want to thank you for sharing the praise about our team here and will certainly forward your compliments to them. All of us would be happy welcoming you back anytime, or maybe even on one of your anniversaries.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2012

After a week-long conference in Bangkok a colleague and I were keen to get away and do very little for a couple of days - seems we'd come to the right place. The Anantara Lawana is a hilly 20min walk to the town but a much easier Tuk Tuk ride @ 50b each (Around $1.50).
The resort itself is great - lots of individual houses/huts each with aircon, many with their own pools. The beach is clean and pretty well used by patrons and the pool was also great and not too busy this time of the year. The finishing touches really made the difference - the free slushy as you sit by the pool, the ice block later that afternoon, the happy hour and free cocktails on the Thursday night where you could have a chat with other guests or management, and get a free taste of massage from their spa people. Of course I had to lock in a proper massage the following day by the beach and it was fantastic. The Breakfast buffet was extensive and spanned half of the resort. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - especially for the bargain prices you can get online.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travis J
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear travj1234,

You seemed to have enjoyed a fantastic time at our resort and we are glad that we have been able to give this positive final note to your busy trip to Bangkok.

My team and I have put a lot of thoughts into coming up with small little things that we hope are appreciated by the customer without presenting a bill for everything we do. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated them and even took the time to join my Management cocktail which my team and I are always looking very much forward to.

We are all looking forward welcoming you back soon.

Lars Kerfin

PS: We are still having a couple of surprises in the sleeves which we will put out on a regular basis... so I'm confident we will be able to surprise you again ;-)
N.IRELAND
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 week and were fortunate to receive a complimentary upgrade from a deluxe room to a pool villa . The accommodation was fabulous . The staff were very attentive and we especially enjoyed our evening in the Tree Tops restaurant . We participated in the Thai Cooking class and thanks must go to the very patient chef Joy !!
Loved this hotel and it's location !

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank SHOBIE
Dear Shobie,

We are glad to learn that you had such an amazing stay with us and appreciate that you have made the effort sharing it here on TripAdvisor.

I will pass your compliments to Khun Joy which she will most certainly appreciate very much.

Hopefully we will see you back soon.

Lars Kerfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#2 of 104 in Chaweng
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!