“Plenty of Surprise and Delight” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Sydney, Australia
“Plenty of Surprise and Delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

After a week-long conference in Bangkok a colleague and I were keen to get away and do very little for a couple of days - seems we'd come to the right place. The Anantara Lawana is a hilly 20min walk to the town but a much easier Tuk Tuk ride @ 50b each (Around $1.50).
The resort itself is great - lots of individual houses/huts each with aircon, many with their own pools. The beach is clean and pretty well used by patrons and the pool was also great and not too busy this time of the year. The finishing touches really made the difference - the free slushy as you sit by the pool, the ice block later that afternoon, the happy hour and free cocktails on the Thursday night where you could have a chat with other guests or management, and get a free taste of massage from their spa people. Of course I had to lock in a proper massage the following day by the beach and it was fantastic. The Breakfast buffet was extensive and spanned half of the resort. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - especially for the bargain prices you can get online.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travis J
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear travj1234,

You seemed to have enjoyed a fantastic time at our resort and we are glad that we have been able to give this positive final note to your busy trip to Bangkok.

My team and I have put a lot of thoughts into coming up with small little things that we hope are appreciated by the customer without presenting a bill for everything we do. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated them and even took the time to join my Management cocktail which my team and I are always looking very much forward to.

We are all looking forward welcoming you back soon.

Lars Kerfin

PS: We are still having a couple of surprises in the sleeves which we will put out on a regular basis... so I'm confident we will be able to surprise you again ;-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
N.IRELAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 week and were fortunate to receive a complimentary upgrade from a deluxe room to a pool villa . The accommodation was fabulous . The staff were very attentive and we especially enjoyed our evening in the Tree Tops restaurant . We participated in the Thai Cooking class and thanks must go to the very patient chef Joy !!
Loved this hotel and it's location !

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank SHOBIE
Dear Shobie,

We are glad to learn that you had such an amazing stay with us and appreciate that you have made the effort sharing it here on TripAdvisor.

I will pass your compliments to Khun Joy which she will most certainly appreciate very much.

Hopefully we will see you back soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon for a week. The staff were incredible from the moment we arrived at the airport. We had a driver waiting for us with cold bottles of water (very welcome). The resort is stunning, every detail has been carefully considered, the rooms have everything you could possibly want. We stayed in a plunge pool villa, in the heat and humidity it's amazing to have your own pool!
The staff arranged a complimentary cake and bottle of wine for our honeymoon which was lovely.
Breakfast buffet is great and caters for everyone, however the rest of the food is quite expensive, especially by Thai standards and the quality isn't brilliant. However, you're only a 15 minute walk to the centre of Chawang where there is an endless selection of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alangdas
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Alangdas,

Thank you very much for taking the time sharing your feedback about your stay here on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed such a fantastic stay in one of our Plunge Pool rooms and that we have been able to contribute to a wonderful honeymoon.

We will take your comments about our food offerings happily on board and will ensure that we deliver those in a consistent standard as the feedback about it is generally very positive. My apology that we apparently haven’t done so during your stay.

We appreciate your feedback and looking forward welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,530 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Anantara Lawana Resort is beautifully located just a 5 min. taxi ride (200 Baht fix price) from Chaweng with all its restaurants, bars & shops. This stunning location allows a relaxed and quite day at the beach or pool in combination with evening action - if required.

The grounds are beautiful, the vegetation, the Oceankiss restaurant & the beach as you would expect of a 5* property.

We made a booking for a Plunge Pool room but didn't like it due to the location and especially the open WC which gives you the feeling you're sitting basically on the street where everybody is passing. Therefore - after one night at the Plunge Pool room - we upgraded to an Ocean View Pool Villas which was just stunning. The view from the pool deck, the infinity pool, the bathroom with two open showers... fantastic!

The Oceankiss restaurant where breakfast is served also offers a stunning view and very friendly service. The selection and the quality of the food, yummy! Very good Brezels, Croissants, German sausage, salmon (served in a "cold room") and especially jams (try the Pineapple jam). While fresh juices you've to pick at the counter they do serve a daily smoothie. Once we tried Oceankiss for dinner and it also was very good (see separate review).

The beach... great view - but we had some days with quite dirty water. Also be aware of the rocks in the water, I cut my feet twice. If I would go again I would take swimming shoes with me. Some other reviewers complain that they had to order ice water at cost - I have to say that we would have been happy to do so - because a waiter at the beach some days hardly existed. Instead we had to walk up to the beach bar to order. By the way, the pool is anyway the better choice: no rocks, cleaner water and an even better view towards the Gulf of Thailand.

So why only 4 points instead of 5? Because the housekeeping I would rate 2 to 3 stars, far, far away from a 5* experience. Example? At a 5* hotel I do expect that the ashtray is emptied during the turn down service, that the towels are always hanging at the same place (sometimes the pool towels where hanging in the bathroom and I had to run wet through the complete Villa to get them after I jumped in the pool), the shampoo is automatically refilled (and not only after you tell the reception "it's empty"), fruits are not just banana & apple (Thailand!) etc. Such small things make a 5* hotel a 5* experience.

The worst point was the lizards. We had 3 of them in our roof, huge once, more than 30 cm long. Unfortunately they were using our bathroom as their toilet. On our washing table was always some lizard excrements (size of a 2-Euro-coin) - which stinks! Since the hotel knows about these lizards (latest after we told them) you expect them to check at the turn-down service so they do remove it automatically. But, no, the housekeeping at Anantara Lawana, doesn't care. They just leave it there until you complain.

Anantara Lawana could be paradise if they would just take more care about 2 or 3 things.

Room Tip: For sure the Ocean View Pool Villa
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HONkiev
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear HONKiev,

We appreciate your positive comments and constructive feedback very much, especially as it comes from such an experienced traveler as you are obviously. (I assume the “HON” in your username is referring to your Lufthansa Top Tier Frequent Flyer status)

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed the atmosphere of the resort and the overall service very much. Nevertheless, I certainly would like to apologize for the behavior of our natural mosquito repellents and the oversight of our housekeeping team to remove their droppings. I fully agree that this is not the standard to be expected in our resort. Same applies for the placement of towels in the rooms for which we usually have a standard setup that is supposed to be followed. I appreciate that you are pointing it out to us so we can take measurements to ensure a better consistency.

The lack of service around the beach is another point I sincerely would like to apologize for. We have spoken to the team to pay better attention. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right amount of attention to the guests so they don’t feel bothered. We try to give just the right amount of privacy and peace while ensuring that the team is visible enough and pays enough attention to be ready to serve when needed. As mentioned, my apology for this.

Thank you once again for the feedback and we would be delighted welcoming you back during one of your frequent journeys throughout the world.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Where do I start? We absolutely loved our 6 night stay here. The accommodation was beautiful. We did not want to leave. The pool area was fantastic and the beach also was nicer than i had expected reading the reviews. We never had a problem finding a sunbed and enjoyed sitting on the beach at night with a cocktail. The food was lovely in the ocean kiss restaurant and the breakfasts were amazing. So glad our breakfast was included in the price. The staff were all lovely and friendly and were very helpful when we were organising tours etc. We also enjoyed a beautiful night out at the tree tops restaurant which i would thoroughly recommend trying when you stay here. It is expensive but it is definitely worth it. We also enjoyed walking down the street into Chewang for some shopping and eating and entertainment etc. It is a noisy, fun place to shop and it never seems to close. Also enjoyed our trip to fisherman's wharf. We loved Chewang Beach too, such a beautiful beach to relax on with lots of bars and restaurants to enjoy. Would recommend this resort to anyone and would love to go back as soon as possible!

Room Tip: we stayed in garden deluxe room and it was perfect for us
2 Thank Deb M
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Deb M,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community and us. We are always happy to hear if guest had a wonderful stay and I will be gladly sharing your feedback with my team.

We are all looking forward welcoming you back to Koh Samui in the hopeful not too distant future.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights last week with a girlfriend. We both needed to escape the stresses of daily life, and we had high expectations of serenity and relaxation, good food, beautiful beach, discreet staff, and a great spa. Upon arrival, we were surprisingly upgraded! Great start! Then we were invited to a management cocktail party! Definitely getting better! Breakfast buffet was one of the best I have experienced. The bar and poolside food was very good quality and well executed. The staff were amazing, polite, friendly and efficient. All in all it exceeded all our expectations, and we will definitely consider staying there again. Thank you.

2 Thank PastryMarquise
Dear PastryMarquise,

Exceeding expectations is certainly a goal we want to achieve. Thank you very much for letting us know here on TripAdvisor that we succeeded.

I appreciate that you have joined my cocktail party as I am always looking forward meeting our guests together with my Management Team and hear how they are enjoying their stay and provide them with some helpful tips how to make even more out of their time on Koh Samui.

Please feel free contacting me directly should you finalize a return trip to Koh Samui.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I must thank the staff for their amazing service. Their abilities should be viewed as the gold standard in this industry. There were two young children in our party, Hugo (my son) and William, and the staff seemed to adore them like they were their own children. This made the holiday some what more relaxing knowing that they were accepted and not seen as an annoyance (which is the standard response in many resorts in this industry).

Though child friendly from this point of view, having a balcony appartment or a unit with a pool could be a little nerve wracking if you like to leave doors open.

Excellent pool, great breakfast, amazing staff. Thanks for a great 10 days.

Darren, Melbourne Australia

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Darren,

We certainly remember you and your friends and are glad to hear that you all enjoyed your stay so much. Great to hear as well that you felt your children being in good hands and well looked after by my team (how can someone not adore Hugo and William??).

I certainly understand that the rooms could be a challenge with small children if the doors are not locked. Most of the guest will make use of the safety latches in order to avoid this.

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor and we are looking forward welcoming you and the children back to Anantara Lawana soon.

Lars Kerfin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,275 reviews
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!