“Simply super!”

Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I could wax lyrical about this hotel forever its such a lovely place.
Lush tropical gardens, water lilly bestrewed ponds, booming frogs, scuttering geckos, lolling banana leaves shading the paths, palm fringed beach, tranquility, this is the most romantic hotel we've stayed at in Thailand. You'd have to be careful who you came with as you could easily find yourself being proposed to and accepting.The cocktails wouldn't help your resolve either as they are delicious, moorish and served with such beguiling smiles.
The rooms are exceptionally well appointed, some with outdoor sitting rooms, others with small gardens and jacuzzis. We had a peek at the jacuzzi one which was sumptious.The bathrooms have huge baths, massive rainfall shower areas, stone sinks.
Breakfast was a long, lazy affair for us. Fruit juice, fresh fruit, coffee, then all manner of different breakfasts from Thai to a full English via Italian, French, German.......
An infinity pool unobtrusively dominates the sunbathing deck surrounded by intimate day beds and sun loungers. The beach is raked every morning and it's just 10 steps from your lounger across soft sand to the shallow sea.
Saying goodbye to such a wonderful hotel with its deep beds, luxurious bedding, cloud like towels and excellent food is so difficult. Can wait to come again!

Room Tip: For romance definitely the room with the jacuzzi garden but the one we stayed in was perfect for us...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mendoros

Dear Mendoros,

I think the best way to respond to your review is providing you with my Email address, so you can quickly book again… many thanks for this wonderful review!

LKerfin@anantara.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I had a one night stay here on our way to the Anantara Rasananda. A late afternoon flight from Bangkok meant that we missed the afternoon speedboat so an overnight in Samui was required. As such I just booked an entry level room for the one night stay. The room was quite pleasant though the fittings were a bit tired. We were going to book dinner in the signature restaurant Treetops located in this hotel but as they could only offer a 9pm reservation we decided to eat in the Ocean Kiss instead. Can I tell you my fellow travellers that 14 days later and many far more expensive meals later this dinner still stands out as my best meal in the area. The Thai beef salad was great and the white snapper fillets with sauce was exceptionally good. Well done Ocean Kiss kitchen staff. The restaurant manager also stands out as a genuinely friendly and helpful guy. I'm sorry but I can't remember his name but it was the night of July 1st and he was also on duty for the breakfast here the following morning. I can't in all honesty appraise this hotel any further as we were up and away sharply the next morning but I can still taste the Snapper fillets.

Room Tip: Can't help in this instance - The entry level room was just ok.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AllanWanderlust

Dear AllanWanderlust,

Even though we only had the very short pleasure of having you staying with us, we therefore appreciate even more that you are sharing your positive feedback here.

The kitchen and service team of OceanKiss will be very pleased to hear that they have made such a positive impact to your overnight stay. The Restaurant Manager (Khun “A”) and his team will certainly receive a copy of your review together with some special recognition.

Once again, we are glad to hear that we have been able to start off your vacation so nicely and hope you enjoyed your stay at our sister property Anantara Rasananda as much.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Anantara Lawana (Chaweng Beach)

Plus Points:
1) Well located. Just 10 min walk & 5 mins by cab to Chaweng Beach the most happening place in Koh Samuai.
2) Good food especially Ocean Kiss restaurant where they also serve breakfast.
3) If you want to have a perfect romantic dinner then you should not miss The Tree Top restaurant. Expensive but worth every bit if you are a non vegetarian, very little options for vegetarian in fact you have to let them know in advance.
4) Spa is good but expensive.

Minus Points:
1) Poor lighting in the room & bath room.
2) Bathrooms are poorly interiored. The water flow from the shower is probably the slowest I have come across among all the 4 - 5 star properties I have stayed.
3) Only some of the Villas (not all Villas) are sea view were as most of the rooms are not sea view.
4) Beach (Anantara Lawana) is partly rocky & its not how its shown on the web site. There are good beaches in Kho Samui particularly the opp end of Chaweng beach next to Library.

Room Tip: If your are staying in a Deluxe Lawana then you should take a room with balcony. Should select a roo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Vik18,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is always great to see when our guests enjoy their stay and if we have been able to provide you with some great experiences, as we apparently did in our restaurants.

I am sorry to hear about the challenges with the water flow. We will try to investigate which room number you have been staying in. We have upgraded our water pressure quite some time ago and currently we are more challenged with bursting water pipes rather than low water pressure.

It is correct that only 6 out of our 17 Anantara Pool Villas have sea view. But they are classified separately as Anantara Sea View Pool Villa instead of Anantara Pool Villa.

We are currently in the dry season with low water levels as well as having the tide during the day. This is exposing more of the beach which is usually under water, but should return back to normal in the coming weeks. We can see water levels coming back up again already.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we would be delighted being able welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Like others I had been a little concerned by some of the negative reviews, but these turned out to off the mark. My wife and I stayed in a pool villa and had a very enjoyable stay.

Yes, the place is a little old and tired and could do with some sand blasting of concrete and re-varnishing of wood (desks, doors etc) but this was more than made up for by terrific service (did not encounter a single bad experience) by some genuinely happy and caring staff, and the fact that our villas was just what we wanted: - secluded, quiet, not overlooked but a couple of minutes walk from anywhere on site. Not to mention, very comfortable.

Food was good, drinks were generous and not overly expensive, and all requests were met with a smile.

Re criticism of the beach: it is small, but we found it clean and well manitained.

Being too lazy one afternoon to go into town, we did both have massages at the Spa. Both were very good but, like most resorts and hotels, hideously expensive (over US$100 each).

Overall, for a couple looking for a relaxing break, we loved the Anantara Lawana and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the pool villa. The villas with beach view are close to the pool bar and restaurant and like...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve M
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear Steve M,

First of all congratulations for being the 300th reviewer on TripAdvisor for our Resort. Your effort is highly appreciated by all of us.

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay that much and we have been able to provide with a fantastic vacation experience. Thank you as well for the confidence in our resort beforehand.

Weather here can be very hard on materials and we are in constant strieve to improve and maintain all areas. After we have replaced all wooden decks around the pool last year we are now looking at replacing the same in all villas. So you can rest assured that we will keep working hard in improving our resort every day.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had read a lot of reviews before our stay and was beginning to get a bit worried about what we were getting into but from the first fantastic impression of a stylish open air and very Thai reception with extremly attentive staff and swift check in, Anantara Lawana continued to deliver throughout our stay. Our room (a deluxe) was clean, roomy, stylish and well appointed with a sort of turn of the century plantation motif and a very large, comfortable balcony great for an afternoon nap under the ceiling fan!

The gardens were lush and the property very well maintained and all topped off with a beautiful pool area over looking the beach. The staff were really friendly and attentive with everything from getting food and drinks to securing the perfect sun lounge by the pool! The breakfast buffet had an amazing array of choices and we never had problems getting a table or waiting for coffees (which is espresso of your choice, not horrible drip coffee). Sure there was a bit of a wait at the egg station sometimes when it was busy (about 9.30am seemed to be peak times but still didn't really impact service) but all eggs freshly made to order surely outweighs any delay? The additional Thai breakfast specialties being handed around by the staff was a fantastic little touch which I've never come across in any other resort.

We had to request our room to be made up a couple of times but seriously, if that's the biggest complaint you can come up with, you should get over yourself! All in all, we had a fantastic stay which made for a brilliant holiday that was the perfect escape from the real world. I'd come back to Anantara Lawana in a heartbeat and practically had to be dragged into our airport transfer kicking and screaming, not wanting to leave!

Room Tip: we had the standard deluxe room which was really nice. most of the reviews that complain seem to be...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave P
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Dave P,

So you were the guest we had trouble getting out of the room and into the airport limousine… just kidding.

Your encouraging feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will feel very motivated by your praise and positive comments. It is certainly very nice to hear that our hard work is recognized and even though we are not perfect, our guests are enjoying spending time at our resort and return with great memories.

Thank you very much for staying with us and for posting this review. My team and I will be greatly looking forward welcoming you back in the hopefully near future. Be assured, the second departure doesn’t hurt that much anymore as you know that you can return anytime…

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel with a group of 23. If you have trouble with stairs or hills this is definately not the place for you. My mother and in laws struggled hugely with the steps in their pool rooms as well as to get to breakfast. Although you can get a cart to drop you off there is still steps. Very dark in the entrance to all rooms and trying to find your way around the hotel very very large and we were all around the resort. The staff were wonderful and very friendly and caring could not fault them.

Room Tip: I would definatley have a pool room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear MIA01Melbourne,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and advise on Tripadvisor.

You are indeed right that our resort is located on a hillside and therefore some areas will include steps in order to reach them. Usually we have not experienced any problems with this and our buggy service is available 24hrs.

We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your stay and that our team has been able to provide you with a wonderful experience.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Me and my wife went there for our honeymoon, the hotel is beautiful, the food is good, but we had a terrible experience. We rented the deluxe plunge pool room. Anantara Lawana has a motto that they specialize in the little details... Well they should really start following their own motto because the little details were the ones that cuased our bad experience. First, the pool from our room was freezing cold because it had no exposure to sunlight. Why would you want a private pool if you cannot even go in it? After contacting front desk they let us check out every room they had available from the same price range so we could pick one with a pool that was not cold. We actually found one... Secondly, the last night we were at the hotel, after me and my wife started enyoing the pool with a private personal moment, I noticed something suspicious between the bushes, I decided not to do anything about it initally, thinking it might be a lizzard or another animal,but then I felt the weird feeling again so I intended to "surprise it" . I put on back my swimming suit and got outside of the villa and to my surprise there was an employee of the hotel peeking on me and my wife!!! I used to play football and ran a 40 yard dash in 4.6 seconds but that dude when he saw me ran it in less than that and in the jungle!! I went to make a complaint to the front desk and the only thing they told me was that they were going to "check it out" and thats it. Thank God the next day we were leaviing the hotel, we were not comfotrable at all. When checking out, their General Manager apologized to us and told us he was going to investiagate it and send us feedback by email. He then offerer us to pay for the transportation from the hotel to the airport (a 400 baht or around a 13 us dollar value). Really? feedback and a transportation of a 13 dollar value? I think the hotel should have done more about it than to "check it out" and send feedback by email.
Oh, almost forgot to say, other than that everything was great.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Msepulveda6
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Msepulveda6,

I am referring to our conversation upon check out as well as the emails I’ve sent you afterwards.

Please accept my apology that we couldn’t immediately respond with a full compensation to your feedback as it required some investigation. I hope for your understanding that we have to ensure we have a clear picture of what actually happened. Unfortunately too often we are confronted with allegations and requests for compensation which are afterwards turning out missing ground. Therefore I could only offer looking after your safe and comfortable departure and ensuring you that I will be in touch with you. I am looking forward hearing back from you based on the email I’ve sent you directly.

Beside above I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable honeymoon with us.

Lars Kerfin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
#2 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!