“Good stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Frodsham
Grange Over Sands
“Good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed the weekend at the Forest Hills Hotel & enjoyed it. Was attending a Craft weekend so didn't get to use the leisure facilities. The bedroom was good, clean & nice view. It did have a dated peach suite, but it was in excellent condition for its age ! Comfy bed & pillows. My stay was during exceptionally hot weather & the room was rather hot & I didn't feel happy leaving the window open as it was on the ground floor. However I'm sure other hotels would be just the same this weekend.
The food was particularly good, truthfully enjoyed breakfast, lunch & dinner each day. In fact, way too good ! Staff friendly and helpful. This was my 2nd visit & I would look at staying there again even in addition to the crafting weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Foresthillshotel, General Manager at Best Western Forest Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Gillian B

Thank you for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you have a good stay with us whilst attending the Craft weekend.

It will be my pleasure to pass on your kind and positive comments to all the team here at the Best Western Forest Hills Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon have a look at our website for the many planned events and promotions that take place throughout the year there may be something that would tempt you to return for another visit has you mentioned before attending another crafting weekend.

Kieran McCabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

we went to the summer dinner dance last sat ,had another great time,good food (brill steak)friendly staff (couldn't do enough to help)dance the night away.
great to meet tracy at long last (as have spoken to her for many years arranging our dinner dances breaks)she is a real treasure and made our evening even more friendly(made us feel like family)
see you in October to celebrate 25years of opening

Room Tip: all good rooms but I have my special(but no telling as want to get it when I go but I believe the o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Foresthillshotel, General Manager at Best Western Forest Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear hewitt737

Thank you for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you had another great evening with us whilst attending the Summer Dinner Dance, all the events that run through out the year really are great fun for a get together with friends and family, good food, friendly staff and located in the Hilltops Restaurant whilst enjoying the panoramic views of Cheshire.

I will pass on your kind comments to Tracey I totally agree she really is a treasure.

We look forward to welcoming you back on October 19th for our Anniversary Dinner Dance, if not before.

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I and her parents decided to stay one night at this hotel as we hope to come here later this year for Christmas. We saw two reviews on Trip Advisor about Christmas at the hotel which didn't put things in a good light, so we decided to see things for our selves.

As my mother-in-law is disabled, we are extremely pleased with the closeness of the disabled parking. We then checked in. My wife's parents stayed in a very nice disable friendly room with a wet room. Our room was lovely, with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom did look a bit dated with salmon pick bath, toilet and sink but it was all clean and in perfect working order and that is what counts.

We had a lovely meal in the restaurant in the evening. It is a bit annoying that on some parts of the menu, the main courses did not come with potatoes or vegetables and that they were separate and cost extra but the Table D'hote menu was perfect.

My wife and I enjoyed a pleasant walk in the park behind the hotel with fantastic views from the War Memorial.

We enjoyed out breakfast the next morning before checking out and visiting Chester.

Before checking out, we booked ourselves in for Christmas as we felt that we would have a pleasant stay here over the festive season.

Room Tip: If disabled, let them know in advance as they have very good ground floor disabled rooms with easy w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Foresthillshotel, General Manager at Best Western Forest Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Jamie I

Thank you for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you, your wife and her parents had a very nice one night stay with us and so very pleased that you decided to see for yourselves after reading negative reviews.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feed back. By telling us what you liked about your stay you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. I was delighted to also read before your departure that you have booked in with us for Christmas, we look forward to seeing you then if not before.

Barnsley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I, with our Daughter and Son-in-Law, stayed for 1 night (Sunday,30th, June to1st, July). We had already booked for Xmas, and thought we would find or way around in advance. Delighted with the Hotel. the staff were brilliant, food fantastic, Rooms very clean, and well kept. Really looking forward to Xmas.Can't wait to get back.
Reception even went to the trouble of booking rooms of our choice for Xmas. A big thank you to all of you. A great hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John W

Thank you for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you, your wife, daughter and Son in law had an excellent stay with us recently whilst trying everything out prior your Christmas stay with us.

It will give me great pleasure to pass on your kind & positive comments to all the team here at the Best Western Forest Hills Hotel.

Santa's little helper will forward our Christmas brochure to tempt you and little more or alternatively have a look at our website.

We look forward to welcoming you back in December if not before.

Easingwold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at the Best Western with my 2 teenage boys whilst going to see Leeds Rhinos vs Widnes Vikings. The hotel was ideally situated and about 20 min from the ground. We paid £54 for a family room and had a spacious ensuite with a large bathroom. The leisure facilities were superb and we made use of the lovely pool, jacuzzi and steam room. The hotel is nicely placed, being in a semi rural location but with access to nearby major roads. Would recommend to anyone needing to stay in the Widnes / Runcorn area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear DarrenChild

Thank you for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you found us to be a Good hotel, with great leisure facilities and an excellent price, I will pass these positive comments on to all the team here at the Best Western Forest Hills Hotel

I agree we are ideally located on top of Frodsham Hill, yet close to the motorway networks for all that the North West has to offer.

We have many planned events and offers that take place through out the year, keep an eye on our website.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed here with my partner for two nights while he worked nearby. After a long drive we looked forward to lunch in the restaurant, only to be told by a girl at reception that it was closed because 'nobody was around' but we could order from the bar menu. Making our choices we tried to order only to be abruptly told we couldn't have that, and that actually only one side of that menu was available, consisting of a couple of uninspiring sandwiches ('cheese', 'ham' etc.) After finding out that we couldn't get a drink anywhere in the hotel until HALF SEVEN :O (!) we decided fine, we would go out for lunch instead.
On return we went to our room. The bathroom was pretty grotty, bath, sink and toilet in a nauseating shade of potted shrimp pink. Mould spots on the inside of the shower curtain and more than one spider. And the SHOWER! Ye gods, I'd noticed the Caution: Very Hot Water sticker but I didn't realise that this actually meant Caution: This Shower Will Rain the Scalding Water of the Volcanoes of Zeus on You at Random Intervals! Every shower I had, I set the gauge to a nice temperature, then when I got in it would be fine for a minute, then BURNING HOT OWIE PAIN for a minute, then back to ok again. Not fun leaping in and out of the stream yelping in pain (although no doubt amusing to my partner). The rest of the room was nice and clean, though I did find a cryptic note between a bedside cabinet and the bed reading 'NiGHt NiGht BaBy Sloth xx'.. a relic from visitors past?

On to the pools. Nice Jacuzzi spa pool, quite hot but in a good way. The actual pool was being used by the general public and their children, but I understand that the facilities are open to members as well as hotel clientele so ok, fine. Steam and sauna rooms were steamy and sauna-y. Not an impeccably clean feel to it overall but ok.

Breakfast was a bit sad, a buffet consisting partly of bacon which must have lived in the Dead Sea prior to its demise, it was so salty. Decent eggs and toast were made to order and brought to our table, but not much choice elsewhere.

To the restaurant, for our evening meals. This is where Forest Hills redeemed itself. The bread with balsamic vinegar/olive oil was divine, the chips were crispy and fluffy and plentiful, chicken dishes were lovely, fish and burger were great.
The wait and bar staff were really nice, very accommodating and friendly at both our evening meals and at breakfast, and attentive but not too intrusive. The views from both the restaurant and our room were impressive too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank IronJaden
Dear Iron Jaden

Thank you for posting your in depth review on Trip Advisor

I was disappointed to read after your long drive you found it difficult to order lunch and would like to apologise for the way it was dealt with I have now had an opportunity to discuss these points with the team to ensure that this doesn’t happen again in the future, although on occasion we do close the main restaurant when we have no bookings, this should of been explained to you.

Some of our bathrooms are in need of refurbishment and we are currently in the process of this but due to financial constraints unfortunately we cant do them all at once I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper concerning the relic from a previous guest and the cleanliness of the bathroom, along with the maintenance team about the fluctuating shower temperature and offer my apologies to you.

I was pleased to read that you found the Leisure facilities ok and that we managed to redeem ourselves in your eyes with the evening meals and that the staff were nice, accommodating and friendly.

I totally agree with you the views from the bedrooms and the restaurant really are impressive we ourselves never tire of them.

Thank you again for your feed back and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here before when going to Oulton Park the next day and love the hotel, we usually have an Exec room which is brilliant. Very spacious with seating area, bigger telly, play station, hi-fi etc. Also bathroom fanatstic with jacuzzi bath, very relaxing! Also included is use of the hotel leisure club which includes swimming pool, gym, sauna etc.
Hotel & facilities can't fault them.
We decided to have evening meal in the hotel but was shocked when we looked at the menu to see that none of the main courses were served with potatoes or vegetables! If you required them it was a further £2.95 for potatoes of any variety and a further £2.95 for vegetables. As this then put £6.00 onto the already overpriced mains it was a complete rip off! I have never been anywhere where they do this and certainly not at another Best Western. Due to this and feeling like we were being exploited we decided to only choose from the Table D'hote menu, the starters and mains were ok but nothing to write home about so glad we hadn't paid more than £21.95 each for the 3 courses.
Breakfast the following morning was very good, buffet style and plenty of choice of hot and cold foods.
I would recommend this hotel as location is great, the staff are very friendly and helpful and all the facilities good, but, i would recommend you eat somewhere else in the evening!

Room Tip: Book an Exec if you can!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle B
Foresthillshotel, General Manager at Best Western Forest Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Michelle B

Thank you for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor

I was pleased to read that you believe us to be a lovely hotel, that you found the Excecutive Room brilliant, spacious with the fantastic bathroom and that you couldn't fault the hotel and the facilities.

I was disappointed to read that you found your evening meal just ok, when dining from the Table D'hote menu, when dining from our A la carte menu there is an additional charge for potatoes and vegetables as they are not served with certain main courses.
As each Best Western Hotel is individually managed and owned it is the venue's decision on how menus are presented and dishes offered but I have taken your comments on board and will be discussing these points with the Food & Beverage team at our next team meeting.

I'm pleased that you would recommend the location, staff and the hotels facilities we look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future so that we may have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes concerning your evening meal.

Kieran McCabe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frodsham
Holiday Inn Runcorn
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
The Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelsall

Been to Best Western Forest Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!